News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I would note that the above numbers representing NDP membership are a snapshot representation at the moment that could well be something quite different if Nenshi doesn’t win the leadership (and perhaps even if he does) and something quite different again at the actual ballot box (with or without a Nenshi win).

This is why I think there is a focus on Red Deer. It's a long-game strategy of countering the two major metros which are increasingly wary of the push towards kleptocracy.
Yup, which also ties into their incremental handicapping of their two major municipalities (esp. Edmonton), and their plan of bringing in political parties at the municipal level.

I expect a UCP-aligned municipal party here will slam the current mayor/council for their "woke" policies driving the recent property tax increases and growing social disorder (despite in reality it being the UCP that exacerbated those issues). Unfortunately, it will probably work, and it will probably translate to political gains at the provincial level here in Edmonton for the UCP.

It's interesting how awful the UCP are at day to day governing but seem to be pretty brilliant with their long term strategy. They've been working on orchestrating all of this since Kenney's first day in office.

Yup, which also ties into their incremental handicapping of their two major municipalities (esp. Edmonton), and their plan of bringing in political parties at the municipal level.

I expect a UCP-aligned municipal party here will slam the current mayor/council for their "woke" policies driving the recent property tax increases and growing social disorder (despite in reality it being the UCP that exacerbated those issues). Unfortunately, it will probably work, and it will probably translate to political gains at the provincial level here in Edmonton for the UCP.

It's interesting how awful the UCP are at day to day governing but seem to be pretty brilliant with their long term strategy. They've been working on orchestrating all of this since Kenney's first day in office.
I'd argue that this started with the leadup to the Reform Party.

The UCP strategy makes some sense and has worked for now, but I wouldn't call it brilliant in the long term. The bigger urban areas are growing fast, the smaller urban ones and more rural areas not so much.

And the UCP is relying on them to stay in power. So I have a feeling it may not work so well for them in the long term.

View attachment 565765

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...p-members-calgary-edmonton-analysis-1.7208446

Does that fact that 75% of NDP members now reside outside of Edmonton bode well for future election performance? 👀 (I hope so.)

While the analysis in this article has it's merits, there's a lot more to consider here, when talking about a "shift in the party's centre of gravity".
While Edmonton might not have as many NDP members, this doesn't necessarily translate in having less votes in the actual election, considering that most voters are not members of either party.
Anecdotal, but as an example: I'm an NDP voter in AB, but I am not, and will never be, an NDP member, since the party forces the provincial members to also be federal NDP members (and I am a registered Liberal, federally).

Edmonton still is inherently a more progressive city than Calgary, although the gap has been closing significantly. The city also has been fairly anti-UCP due to the continuous neglect (or outright trashing) that party has been showing towards Edmonton, which is a VERY easy platform to run on. I would still expect an NDP sweep in Edmonton, and more total votes for the NDP coming from the Edmonton CMA than Calgary CMA, even though I do see them winning at least 20 seats in Calgary next election (and maybe some non-Calgary and Edmonton seats as well).

Sooo…

Government Leader Joseph Schow thinks “We have a mandate from Albertans that was given to us in the last election,” adding “we have a job to do” does he?

I don’t recall any of Bills 18, 20, 21 or 22 being part of the UCP election platform last year. A UCP mandate from Take Back Alberta is not a mandate from Albertans at large and most Albertans find the provisions within these bills to be unwarranted and unwanted.

If he doesn’t want these bills debated in full, perhaps he should withdraw them.

Back