News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Potential conversions soon on my radar are Milner (Westcorp) and maybe Empire Building (Leston), but there isn't a lot of others. Appreciate these zoning changes from Council but it's more a feel-good story than reality at this point. Maybe there are more in future in the government district.

Also unrelated really is Churchill Building was seniors is being converted to rental, so it's still residential.

Yeah, one or two more potential conversions would be cool and a win, but hearing 5 from that news clip caught me off guard.

Really hope we see some more proposals for conversions. Awesome to see PMK getting done. Personally would love to see Highfield Place converted, pretty sure it's completely vacant and has been struggling to get space occupied for years, even pre-COVID office glut
No windows at all on the north side, just a solid concrete wall. IDK, but that might be a big problem with that building.

No windows at all on the north side, just a solid concrete wall. IDK, but that might be a big problem with that building.
No prob just get out the hilti 👍🤣

104 farmers market was packed. Good day to have it. Insane vibe.

In other news, it's almost the 1 year anniversary of when Canadian Pies announced their location under Icon 1, and still not open. WTF?

The font on their signage also looks a lot like "Slop Shot".

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect they're not going to make it. They have this whole vibe of coming in in an extremely improvised fashion and getting a restaurant off the ground really takes planning and financial reserves. And that particular space has been a hard one for various restaurants to keep going in.

Add to things that they're right next to ANOTHER SPORTS BAR, but have a much smaller space, and they're in for a hard time. Even with the game night traffic bringing a sports bar demographic by their door, the impact of game nights on restaurants is a pre-game surge and post-game surge with doldrums in between (I know I'm hardly the only one who just doesn't bother with restaurants and bars on 104th when there's a game on), which doesn't exactly favour the smaller spaces.

And then they seem to be pushing the limits of copyright in ways that I can't see the Oilers being particularly happy about.

Yeah, I don't think these guys are going to make it. Today was the Downtown Market, and it's quite possibly the last game of the playoffs. All of the local restaurants were busy. And I'm not really a sports bar kind of guy, but Kelly's was pulling in a nearly full house and had TV's out on the patio with World Cup soccer going.

Slap Shot was almost empty. At first I thought that at least their patio tables were full, but as I circled around, I realized that their tables were overwhelmingly being used by people not patronizing the business. Some were just talking and not ordering anything. Others were eating takeout from other restaurants (like the very good ChongQing Noodle place down the street).

On the other hand, they did get an actual sign up.

We had a friend visiting from southern AB yesterday who hasn’t been up here in a few years and downtown could not have given a better impression:

-Tons of people and families around all day and the 104 market was pretty busy
-Shania Freakin Twain outdoor concert
-Massive Oilers Stanley Cup final win had everyone obviously buzzin and celebrating (horns still being honked ~2.5 hours after the game)
-Could hear the cheers from the 8 goals scored across downtown
-Overall it’s pretty tidy downtown, relatively speaking

I mean that was like once in a lifetime set of circumstances but so cool to have happen.

We had a friend visiting from southern AB yesterday who hasn’t been up here in a few years and downtown could not have given a better impression:

-Tons of people and families around all day and the 104 market was pretty busy
-Shania Freakin Twain outdoor concert
-Massive Oilers Stanley Cup final win had everyone obviously buzzin and celebrating (horns still being honked ~2.5 hours after the game)
-Could hear the cheers from the 8 goals scored across downtown
-Overall it’s pretty tidy downtown, relatively speaking

I mean that was like once in a lifetime set of circumstances but so cool to have happen.
Really nice to have that happen. I had the opposite experience. My sister came to town May 10th for probably the only time she will ever come, and it was the weekend with the smoke fires filling downtown and everything was still dirty and nasty. Oh well. I will agree, Saturday was an exceptional day downtown. Probably one of the best days in a long time, or ever. And the Oilers winning 8-1 just capped it off nicely.

We decided to try Slap Shot out and boy oh boy it was amateur hour.

'No cocktails or draft' until 4 (we got there at 3:15) as they didn't have an actual bartender; inside looked cheap and quick.

The waitress, while nice enough, clearly has never served and made ordering and receiving 3 beers agony.

Half of the tables outside were people eating market food.

I give it two months.

Downtown doesn't have a shortage of pubs. Kelly's, Sherlock's, Craft, Banquet/ Ice House. I don't understand why anyone would try to enter such a saturated market. Especially when the DT market is seeming to better support higher end dining and cocktail/wine bars these days.

I went to Kelly's Saturday, and it was packed. Many recognizable faces from television were present. Obviously plenty of out of towners.

This Saturday was probably Edmonton's best ever PR campaign, because the city felt alive with the events. 104th Street being pedestrian only was huge in making this happen. This needs to be made permanent like Stephen Ave in Calgary.

We decided to try Slap Shot out and boy oh boy it was amateur hour.

'No cocktails or draft' until 4 (we got there at 3:15) as they didn't have an actual bartender; inside looked cheap and quick.

The waitress, while nice enough, clearly has never served and made ordering and receiving 3 beers agony.

Half of the tables outside were people eating market food.

I give it two months.
See? That's why.......that's why I never go to random sh*tholes like that......wasting money is all it is.....glad you "took one for the team though...." lol

Back