News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Yeah, it was telling to me that Kelly's was absolutely cleaning up, and Slap Shot was struggling despite being best positioned to catch spillover and having all of that foot traffic.

Side note: when a manager at Kelly's freaked out on Facebook years ago that the downtown bike grid was going to ruin his business because it was taking away parking spaces, I guess he was being a touch dramatic.
That’s funny. The only reason I started venturing downtown along with many of my friends is because we all got bikes after they started adding lanes. Without the bike lanes we would never frequent their business.

I don't know if this is in place of Hanan's Kitchen

Reference ID:Job No 515844864-002
Description:To install (3) Fascia Sign(s) limited to On-premises Advertising (STEVE'S FAMOUS SANDWICH CO.)
Plan NB Blk 6 Lots 39-40
Applicant:KARATULA SIGNS INC.
Create Date:2024-06-11T19:21:20Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

That’s funny. The only reason I started venturing downtown along with many of my friends is because we all got bikes after they started adding lanes. Without the bike lanes we would never frequent their business.
Yeah. Driving to a bar is something suburbanites do, and they were never going to drive downtown (especially since back then Kelly's was the most generic sports bar ever and the suburban landscape was littered with equivalents).

As an added irony, the guy also tried to play the "avid cyclist" card. I'm guessing he either clued in or moved on. Suffice to say it didn't really make me want to come visit.

I have never specifically gone DT to visit Kelly's. Everytime it seems to be when I happen to be walking by while in the area for something else.

I'm sure it's a large chunk of it is playoff season, but downtown's reputation and vibe is much different this year. Really does feel like a turnaround growth year.

I'm finally not getting weird looks from friends when I tell them I actually like going downtown lol

I'm sure it's a large chunk of it is playoff season, but downtown's reputation and vibe is much different this year. Really does feel like a turnaround growth year.

I'm finally not getting weird looks from friends when I tell them I actually like going downtown lol

It's really been amazing to see. The LRT couldn't have been completed at a better time for this cup run too. I've never enjoyed downtown more in my life than the last few weeks. Vibe is just insane, especially along 104th. It does feel like a turnaround growth year. Ice District was such a great concept and I am excited to see how it evolves over the next 50 years.

In other news, it's almost the 1 year anniversary of when Canadian Pies announced their location under Icon 1, and still not open. WTF?

PXL_20240622_172237391.MP.jpg

The other half and I were out not to see the game, but to hear the Don Berner Big Band perform with the Royal Canadian Artillery band's "Rhythm Gunners" Big Band at MacEwan's Triffo Theatre. We came out into that whole surge of blue and orange, and a rush of not just honking car traffic but bike swarms. Passing 104 Street, every patio was packed, even the one at Slop Shot (though this morning their patio was back to being occupied by Credo's customers). The newcomer to the scooter and bike sharing business in the core, Neuron, seemed to be outpacing Bird and Lime in terms of usage, though I wonder how many of their devices suffered a celebratory yeet into the North Saskatchewan as the night wore on.

Bit of a weird quiet over the core this morning, but then slamming a car door probably would've yielded a chain reaction of hangover groans rippling outwards across the city (and likely come March there will be a weird uptick in babies born named "Connor"). Getting to the Downtown Market this morning, I heard that there are over 90 (!!!) vendor applications in progress and they're planning to expand onto 102 Ave.

The City is now operating a bike valet near the corner of 102 Ave and Rice-Howard, with a locking cage (probably originally bike parking for Telus employees, back in the days when Telus actually employed significant numbers of humans in downtown Edmonton). There were only four bikes there, but it looks like it'll be an all summer thing coinciding with the open streets events on Rice-Howard.

Last edited:
FYI -- on redoing 104 Street. Streetscape was completed in 1998. It's been 25 years. City has 30-40 year renewal cycles, but Council can adjust that. It needs a bit of maintenance (residential paver blocks are disintegrating in some areas) and lots of street lights and such need fixing. Problem is we don't do proper maintenance ever.
Weirdly, the city has shown that they have the capability to just replace paver blocks. They just fixed a bunch on Rice-Howard Way. The nice thing about them is that even though they're slower to install than typical sidewalks and streets, most repairs can be done by a few guys with fairly basic tools.

It's really been amazing to see. The LRT couldn't have been completed at a better time for this cup run too. I've never enjoyed downtown more in my life than the last few weeks. Vibe is just insane, especially along 104th. It does feel like a turnaround growth year. Ice District was such a great concept and I am excited to see how it evolves over the next 50 years.
The Valley line really seems to have been a hugely positive influence on downtown. That whole stretch of 102 Ave is much less desolate than it was even before the pandemic. And it seems to be managing decent load factors any time I see it coming into downtown. I'm a bit surprised that I even see people boarding and departing at Quarters station.

And for all of the criticism of the concept from people who wanted it all elevated or all underground, it's not a bad ride. I've found that I venture down to Bonnie Doon/Strathearn rather more often than I used to. And the way that some of these surface stations integrate into the streetscape is actually nice.

The other half and I were out not to see the game, but to hear the Don Berner Big Band perform with the Royal Canadian Artillery band's "Rhythm Gunners" Big Band at MacEwan's Triffo Theatre. We came out into that whole surge of blue and orange, and a rush of not just honking car traffic but bike swarms. Passing 104 Street, every patio was packed, even the one at Slop Shot (though this morning their patio was back to being occupied by Credo's customers). The newcomer to the scooter and bike sharing business in the core, Neuron, seemed to be outpacing Bird and Lime in terms of usage, though I wonder how many of their devices suffered a celebratory yeet into the North Saskatchewan as the night wore on.

Bit of a weird quiet over the core this morning, but then slamming a car door probably would've yielded a chain reaction of hangover groans rippling outwards across the city (and likely come March there will be a weird uptick in babies born named "Connor"). Getting to the Downtown Market this morning, I heard that there are over 90 (!!!) vendor applications in progress and they're planning to expand onto 102 Ave.

The City is now operating a bike valet near the corner of 102 Ave and Rice-Howard, with a locking cage (probably originally bike parking for Telus employees, back in the days when Telus actually employed significant numbers of humans in downtown Edmonton). There were only four bikes there, but it looks like it'll be an all summer thing coinciding with the open streets events on Rice-Howard.
Group of friends and I used the bike valet this morning for the market. 3 e-bikes in the group, so nice to have the extra security. A few thoughts though:

1. One of the sketchiest parts of downtown by far. Drug use is constant on this stretch. So that’s a huge downside. Meth head kicked over the bike parking sign as we were loading in. With my 1 year old there and pregnant wife… not ideal…

2. It’s semi close to Milner/Churchill, but hidden. And far from 104st/ice district. So idk if the location is super convenient.

3. Signage was minor, so I’m sure many visiting the market, festivals, RHW, Milner, etc won’t even know about it.

I think if they want a long term option, 104st or Churchill needs to be the play. The old 3 bananas spot a possibility?

City centre, BMO war zone, YMCA, etc is just a rough stretch.

Weirdly, the city has shown that they have the capability to just replace paver blocks. They just fixed a bunch on Rice-Howard Way. The nice thing about them is that even though they're slower to install than typical sidewalks and streets, most repairs can be done by a few guys with fairly basic tools.
Ya it takes effort though, EDBA had to push the City to get some of those things done for the Entertainment District. You'll also notice the concrete parking barriers are gone.

Back