News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Should it be assumed that the No Frills at Front & Princess will be closing soon then?

No.

Unless LBL has changed their mind, there is sufficient market growth to support a new store here, and there is no immediate plan to go ahead with 333 King East et al.

As @AlexBozikovic noted awhile back, there was a re-work coming here.

Regardless, SPA hasn't even been filed for on that site, and there are no open permit applications.

IMG_4782.jpeg

Pusateri’s at Saks is barely there. Most of it has been emptied out and entrances blocked. Some takeaway counters along the perimeter remain open, including the cafe.

Sounds like they are in the process of collapsing. Will they retrench down to one location, or fold entirely?

View attachment 588779
Pusateri’s at Saks is barely there. Most of it has been emptied out and entrances blocked. Some takeaway counters along the perimeter remain open, including the cafe.

I am not surprised.

This always struck me as a failed concept from the get-go. Pusateri's relies on their name recognition from the 1990s to ensure that people come visit.

Look. Pusateri's WAS good but now it cannot compare with Whole Foods, Eataly, etc.

View attachment 588779
Sounds like they are in the process of collapsing. Will they retrench down to one location, or fold entirely?
I am not surprised.

This always struck me as a failed concept from the get-go. Pusateri's relies on their name recognition from the 1990s to ensure that people come visit.

Look. Pusateri's WAS good but now it cannot compare with Whole Foods, Eataly, etc.

Timely. The Star reports that all of the Pusateri's are closing, save for the Avenue Road location and the food counter at Eaton Centre.

Grocer Pusateri’s to consolidate operations, numerous locations to start bankruptcy proceedings

Last edited:
More on Pusateri's downfall:

Italian boutique grocer Pusateri's owes creditors more than $8 million from its Yorkville location alone, according to a notice sent to creditors by Albert Gelman Inc., the insolvency trustee assigned to the filings, on Aug. 20.

Scotiabank is the largest secured creditor listed on the notice obtained by the Star, with $4.9 million owed for computers, furniture, inventory, leaseholds, and other prepaid and sundry assets, the notice states.

The five unsecured creditors listed which are owed the most are Roltek International Inc., owed around $9,500; Rahier Patisserie Inc. owed around $8,800; Mary Macleod's Shortbread, owed around $8,200; Bio Raw, owed around $6,400, and Gaucho Pie Co, owed around $6,100.

These figures only include the funds Pusateri’s owes to suppliers for their Yorkville location.

It does not include the money they owe for their other bankrupt entities — Pusateri’s Bayview Village, Pusateri’s Little Italy, Pusateri’s Kitchen and Pusateri’s Financing — which will likely be detailed in documents to come.

The Yorkville and Bayview Village stores and Pusateri's Kitchen were each separate corporate entities.

The creditors, Pusateri’s, and Gelman did not respond to requests for comment before deadline.

The first meeting of the creditors will take place on Aug. 30, the notice states.

Prior to Friday’s announcement that Pusateri’s would be shuttering several of its stores and putting them into bankruptcy, suppliers told the Star that the grocer was struggling to pay invoices and has left many in the lurch.

The owner of a small business that sells prepackaged organic salads says he has a history of difficulty being paid by the grocer.

Another supplier, with invoices several months overdue, said Pusateri’s was slow to respond to her emails. When the grocer did respond, she was told that the invoices had been entered into their system incorrectly. She refused to deliver more product until they paid her. When Pusateri's finally paid, she ended the business relationship.

One supplier who has been working with the grocer for several years said that Pusateri’s wasn’t always this way; they used to pay promptly, but things have slowed since the pandemic.

Another supplier said he is still owed nearly $2,000 by the grocer and that the payment is more than six months late.

The Star granted suppliers anonymity because they have an ongoing relationship with Pusateri’s and were concerned about future supply contracts.

In an emailed response on Monday to questions surrounding the bankruptcy and the salad company's invoicing, Paolo Pusateri, head of marketing, said the company "has been facing significant financial pressures which have been impacting our operations, not limited to timely and regular flow of merchandise."

While not (yet) being tested in downtown Toronto, Loblaws is bringing back a variation of 'The Box' that it tested in smaller markets a few years ago.

The 'No Name' store will aim to lower prices around 20% and will do so by cutting costs in the following ways:

Short Hours: 10am-7pm
Limited to no marketing (no Flyers)
Limited product selection: 1,300 skus (items) (here some comparisons may help, typical full-line grocers stock 30,000-50,000skus); a typical Aldi in the U.S. is 1,500skus; side note, the first ever No Frills stocked only 500skus!
No Refrigeration - No Meat, No Dairy

My comments: The above won't work. They need limited meat and dairy for the store to do well. It doesn't have to be large, 200skus would work. Milk, Butter, Industrial Grade Cheese, Sour Cream etc could be 100skus; basic high-selling deli meat, bacon, chicken etc. They could probably omit beef and get away with it. But leaving those out entirely means people need to make more trips.

The weekday hours are too short, they might be able to get away with an 8pm close, but 7 is a non-starter.

I think milk and eggs are probably the biggest drivers for people to get into a local grocery store, aren't they? At least they are for my family. And picking up some kind of protein for a last minute dinner (usually ground beef or chicken thighs) is a big driver of my impromptu grocery stops.

It is cheaper but not as convenient. Isn’t that the trade-off? Beggars can’t be choosers!
I don't think it's about beggars being choosers, but whether or not you'll run out to a grocery store that's nearby if it doesn't have the stuff you really need, no matter how cheap it is.

While not (yet) being tested in downtown Toronto, Loblaws is bringing back a variation of 'The Box' that it tested in smaller markets a few years ago.

The 'No Name' store will aim to lower prices around 20% and will do so by cutting costs in the following ways:

Short Hours: 10am-7pm
Limited to no marketing (no Flyers)
Limited product selection: 1,300 skus (items) (here some comparisons may help, typical full-line grocers stock 30,000-50,000skus); a typical Aldi in the U.S. is 1,500skus; side note, the first ever No Frills stocked only 500skus!
No Refrigeration - No Meat, No Dairy

My comments: The above won't work. They need limited meat and dairy for the store to do well. It doesn't have to be large, 200skus would work. Milk, Butter, Industrial Grade Cheese, Sour Cream etc could be 100skus; basic high-selling deli meat, bacon, chicken etc. They could probably omit beef and get away with it. But leaving those out entirely means people need to make more trips.

The weekday hours are too short, they might be able to get away with an 8pm close, but 7 is a non-starter.
A bit more detail here: https://www.thestar.com/business/lo...cle_607a4557-99bd-50dd-a84d-7b81bbad7a22.html

It's funny that no one would consider having a kitchen without a fridge, but they think they can run a whole grocery store without a fridge?
My grandmother didn't have a fridge for decades and refused to get one for some bizarre reason. It used to drive me nuts.

Back