News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The trailers were dead-on, and Planet Terror was pure trashy fun from start to finish.

Death Proof was a more "difficult" movie, to be a bit euphemistic, but in the end it won me over. It certainly is a memorable movie.

I've seen Hot Fuzz and Sunshine recently. Don't know if either have been released in Canada yet.

Hot Fuzz is by the team behind Shaun of the Dead. It's not as funny as Shaun and won't be as rewatchable as Shaun but I still enjoyed it. If you like the buddy cop genre, you should check it out.

Sunshine is by Danny Boyle, director of Trainspotting. It's one of those claustrophobic space thrillers. I thought there were too many camera tricks and jump edits and such. however, the plot wasn't quite as obvious as I had feared and there weren't too many giant leaps in logic that you get in most of these space movies. the characters' actions more or less were believable - special effects were good. Another recommend from me.

Pan's Labrynth is playing across the street from me but the subtitles are in Dutch so I'll have to torrent it.

OMG, I HATED Shaun of the Dead so much...thought it was not funny, stupid, and totally over-rated. So I guess I will not be seeing Hot Fuzz.

Fracture and Vacancy are on my watch list...

Has anyone seen The Host? Any good?

I saw Jet Li's movie Fearless on a plane from Orlando last month. It was such a great film that when my plane landed before the ending, I had to go out and rent it.

Saw Hot Fuzz tonight and if your a fan of cheesy american action movies you'll love it. Any movie that pays homage to Point Break is reason enough to go see this.

Fantastic.

I also found Hot Fuzz plenty funny - high yuks-to-bucks ratio.

Zodiac is another strong effort from Fincher, but I found it oddly forgettable and ultimately unaffecting.

Year of the Dog with Molly Shannon isn't really a very good movie overall, but it contains several moments of surprisingly raw poignancy. Worth a rental.

Very old news by now, but no one's mentioned it yet in this thread: Children of Men was the best film released last year by far, imo. Don't miss this one.

Last night I finally got to see David Lynch's new film, INLAND EMPIRE. I've not even come close to processing the experience yet, but it can surely be said that this is a completely overwhelming and authentically mind-blowing piece of work. If you have any interest whatsoever in his stuff, then this is truly a MUST-see, probably his magnum opus. Even if you find the movie entirely incomprehensible, frustrating and tiresome, absurd and indulgent, ridiculous and flat out boring, or whatever else, I submit that it is likely impossible not to be thoroughly emotionally devastated by this thing. It really is just incredible - an utterly unique and transcendent, genuine work of art. I've long believed that Lynch is a true master filmmaker - with this new film, and given the unfortunate passing of Kubrick and Altman, it is my opinion that he now stands unchallenged as the world's greatest living cinema artist. Again, no matter what your reaction to this film, even if you totally despise it, you will virtually certainly be absolutely floored and emotionally drained by it. Simply amazing - the sheer power of it is astounding and phenomenal. I believe it's playing soon in TO as a limited engagement - if you have any inclination at all towards enjoying movies as art, go at all costs.

DavidLynch-Venice2006.jpg

Was the premise of the doc about corn along the lines of "corn in its many forms is present in almost every food item in modern supermarkets"

You make corn sound so insidious and evil. I quite like corn.

Was the premise of the doc about corn along the lines of "corn in its many forms is present in almost every food item in modern supermarkets"

Exactly. And how the whole high fructose corn syrup industry was developed by the US government to subsidise corn farmers, and how none of that corn is edible without further processing, and becasue since most of our food contains corn we are mostly corn now too.

^ Sounds pretty interesting - remember the title? And how was HotDocs this year, overall?

Exactly. And how the whole high fructose corn syrup industry was developed by the US government to subsidise corn farmers, and how none of that corn is edible without further processing, and becasue since most of our food contains corn we are mostly corn now too.

And our gasoline will include lots of corn to appease the farmers as humans can drink only so much Coca-Cola. Ethanol is such a band-aid solution - the processing of it is such an energy waste. Maybe better to just give out cash subsidies for letting fields lie fallow.

The movie, King Corn, didn't really deal with ethanol, only food. The director was asked about it at the Q&A, and he said ethanol wasn't the movie he wanted to make.

Hot Docs was sort of meh this year. There was no buzz around any of the movies. The only one I really wanted to see was the doc about the Apollo astronauts, but I was away when they screened it. It's very good apparently, and was well received at Sundance, so it should get a theatrical release.

The yoga doc I saw was ok - it's on tv this weekend. The granny & tranny double bill was good - I think it was produced by TVO so it should show up there. The Andy Warhol one was a little too inside baseball - it was about possibly the most obscure person to be at the factory, so unless you're a complete Warhol scholar it was interesting mostly for the value of seeing which Warhol hangers on were still alive.

I skipped about half the movies I had tickets for.

Well, since I subscribe to Doc Soup the Hot Docs pass is free, at least that's what I tell myself, so no loss. And I got to gaze upon the lovliness that is Sean Farnell a couple of times.

Back