Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the crown shoud undergo some modification
as I have done here:

From this:

1BlooreastMod.jpg

To this:

1BloorEastModification.jpg

Re: RE: Yonge and bloor - 80 stories

The crown gives the distinct impression that the suites on floors 76-80 are reserved for Sauron.

Nah, Sauron's headquarters would be in the Ryungyong Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea:

www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=135977

That is the most evil-looking building I am aware of.

Bill

Another five star hotel? Wow. I am surprised that they think there is/will be a demand. All the power to them but I have a feeling that some of the five stars may have to lower their prices (and stars) to fill beds.

The building, and most definately the podium, is better than the first rendering. It should also please those that feel that the city will end up with too many aA square boxes (I personally have no issue with their towers but I can see the need for variety).

My prediction for the podium: Crate and Barrel.

This is timed no doubt only coincidentally with the PanPacific announcement about their expansion which includes Toronto, although the number of hotel rooms stated for 1 Bllor East is a little lower than the range that Pan Pacific said they intend to open. Still, I think this location would be a good fit for them.

In terms of number of floors on the rendering, I counted them out on a printout - I'm always sure I miss or double-count when using a mouse on a screen. The total count? Well, that's still a bit ambiguous because fo the way that the podium is rendered, being semi-transparent and all. Anyway, if one considers the 5th floor to be mostly hidden in this perspective by the top floor of the podium, then I count

77 floors, plus the crown, which may contain small floors too.

And I agree, the podium is much improved over the previous rendering. I like the previous tower though, but its design looks more office-tower to me.

The 675 foot figure would not include the crown - city approval documents usually are to the top of the occupied structure. Bazis doesn't want to go through rezoning, but the can certainly aquire some additional height through a minor variance and just go through the committee of adjustment.

I went to the press conference, but was not allowed in because I was NOT media.

I preferred the previous design. This looks kinda like Ritz. Toronto is in need of more curvy designs and less hard edges. I'm also not a fan of wrap around balconies.

I wonder if future buildings should be built with melting ice in mind. Perhaps some sort of exterior heating, so we don't recreate CN towers ice missiles.

I'm not a huge fan of wrap around balconies either but I give them high scores for being so brave to offer balconies at such high levels. I think the building is bold and confident, just what the corner needs. It's a shame the cinema complex didn't happen, they'd help draw much needed excitement back to the area.

I wonder how many of these (almost identical aesthetically) slightly curved / leaning towers will be value engineered into pure boxes in their final incarnations?

I went to the press conference, but was not allowed in because I was NOT media.

Should have told them you were covering it for urbantoronto.ca. That's how I got into the Bay Adelaide conference. Was also carrying my camera.

That's a big improvement over the last rendering, especially the base. I'd have no problem with it. Hopefully it goes through.

From the rendering, the ratio between the total height of the building and the height of the residential portion of the building is about 1.124 to 1.

If the residential height is indeed 675ft (205m), then the total height would be about 759ft (230m).

Bill

^ Renderings are not architectural blueprints - they are intended to give a general impression of what the future tower may look like. Attempting to figure out the height based on ratios is pointless - especially when looking at the top of the tower which isn't well defined in this rendering.

It just doesn't add up properly. Are people going to spend millions of dollars for a condo with 8' ceilings. Has to be higher than 205m.

RE: Yonge and bloor - 80 stories

I understood that the ceilings would be 9' not 8' from what people were saying from the press conference? Is this not true?

I dont know. The project just looks alright. Hopefully it turns out a lot better as right now it looks a little akward.

What was the point of the announcement? No height, and no finalized design. No real direction of what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back