8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: Yonge and bloor - 80 stories

Bazis doesnt want to go through rezoning,but they can certainly aquire additional height through a minor variance and just go through the committee of adjustment
------------------------------------------------------------

^so i guess thats what they are planning to do to make this design a reality.

675ft minus an 80ft podium leaves 595ft, divided by 74 floors gives a residential floor height of 8.0 feet (which includes the concrete, etc. between floors), so a floor-to-ceiling height of 7.5 feet, at best. That does seem really low to me. It's livable, but hardly 'spacious' or 'high-end'.

I would really need to know what heights have become standard for residential condominiums of different classes, though, before I could make any judgements about 1BE.

There's not a chance in hell that the ceiling heights will only be 7.5 feet. They are calling for 'ultra luxury suites' in this announcement. If they continue to use that phrase during the sales phase, they will have to promise at least 8.5 foot ceilings, as 9 feet has become standard for 'ultra luxury'.

Even without us knowing the exact number of floors, this building will have to be higher than 675 feet. Why is that height being considered by anyone as correct?

An awful lot of time and energy being spent counting floors and trying to translate that to metres. Why bother? The rendering is preliminary and almost certain to change as it goes through the process.

What can be said is that this will dominate midtown, and will certainly be prominent on the entire skyline of the city. It's quite a bit higher than Yonge and King just by virtue of the city's topography.

I like the design. It's distinctive, dare I say iconic. I look forward to seeing this go up. The lack of a movie complex is a bit of a disappointment, however, I suspect movie complexes are going the way of the dodo to some extent. I don't expect to see many more of them. (The original proposal, including movie theatre, was put forward when this was seen as one of the venues for TIFF, who subsequently have made other plans as we know.)

It's about *&#?$* time that something good happened at this corner, which, for such an important intersection, has an appearance which is not much above the level of a disgrace.

what intrigues me, is that both their press releases advised that this would be the tallest residential/commercial building in the city (country?)....so what is Trump, chopped liver?

I agree about liking this building. There is a lot of uncertainty about its exact height, but it will clearly be the dominant building in this part of downtown T.O. Actually, I cannot help comparing it to the resurrected Aura at College Park, which is rather similar in height and (a bit) in appearance (it might be interesting to compare them side-by-side at the same scale). Also, they would both dominate their neighbourhoods to roughly the same degree -- both being at least 230m or 240m in height (with the roof elements), surrounded by a cluster of up-to-150m towers.

what intrigues me, is that both their press releases advised that this would be the tallest residential/commercial building in the city (country?)....so what is Trump, chopped liver?

Just looking at the over 400 foot list that canuck 36 maintains, we have:

Trump International - 1,064 ft. spire (988 ft. roof) 70 floors
Aura [RoCP] - 787 ft. 75 floors
Signature Tower [CityPlace] - 714 ft. 69 floors
Shangri-La - 704 ft. 65 floors
Four Seasons Hotel [Four Seasons] - Approx 686 ft. 50 floors
Ritz Carlton Hotel [Simcoe Place] - 684 ft. 53 floors

It is true that 1BE is taller than any current residential tower, but Trump and (probably) Aura would be taller when built. (If the residential height is 675ft, then the total height would be 760ft to 780ft, if the rendering is accurate -- which however we know it isn't)

I'd rather wait another 5 years for a building that is designed well and not labeled spectacular when it is no where near it. I realize the design may change, but I dont see anything great about this design. It looks worse than the previous. Big disappointment. That and misleading heights make this a dud.

yonge-bloor subway

Thoughts:
- while they are digging can they create a second platform for the Yonge stop on the bloor line?
- styling: I just see a lot of concrete that will look dated in a couple of years
- if they start demolition of Roy's Square and the condo market tanks before construction starts... or am I being a bit of a naysayer...

Re: yonge-bloor subway

I second that thought. I'd rather not see demolition permits issued until they're absolutely, 100% sure that they're going to be replacing those buildings with a massive tower

while they are digging can they create a second platform for the Yonge stop on the bloor line?

pretty sure the bulk of the station is under Xerox next door

I second that thought. I'd rather not see demolition permits issued until they're absolutely, 100% sure that they're going to be replacing those buildings with a massive tower
the city can't deny permits because it doesn't think the project has sold enough. If they have planning approval and the building plans check out, they get their permits.

"I just see a lot of concrete that will look dated in a couple of years"

I don't see any concrete. The balconies look like glass (as they are transparent to some extent).

If the same developer already has 10 foot ceilings for
one development (Cristal Blue) I don't see the reason
why would another, much more exclusive,luxurious, be different or in any way inferior.
Thus, 10 foot ceiling X 77 stories = 770' + 60' = 831'
= 253.2 m ( 60 = 4 X 20 foot podium ) + mechanical ?!?

So it is still pretty tall for that area ( for the begining ).
But soon or later supertalls are going to be Toronto's
future.

PS:
We might be jet pleasantly surprised with the hight of
this baby; of course not everyone of us...>: :lol :evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back