News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the height is part of the "hype" of 1BE, the location plays a major part as well. It's height and location coupled together. I doubt Aura will get as much attention, even though it might be better priced and with better architecture (we'll see).

^ hey newbie... 2 posts in one day. Welcome to the UT whine-festival.

But there's enough negativity, complaining and flawed satire on this site already, so try to bring something positive forward....

There's a few positive, proactive folks here... check out the architecture section.

For $25M penthouse, buyer didn't have to stand in line: TheStar.com
294244_3.JPG

CARLOS OSORIO/TORONTO STAR
Nearly 90 people are queuing for more than a week so they — or the brokers they represent — can be first in line to buy new Bloor St. condos on Tuesday.

Hong Kong man bids on top floor of Bloor condo

November 17, 2007
Gail Swainson
Real Estate Reporter
A Hong Kong businessman is Canada's newest King of the Castle – and he didn't even have to stand in line to buy his $25 million penthouse suite.
The unidentified buyer set a new benchmark for the country's priciest slice of downtown residential real estate this week when he bought the 7,500- square-foot suite at One Bloor East.
Toronto's newest fashionable address was the site of real estate mayhem when more than 100 brokers lined up, or hired others to stand in line for them, in the cold for more than a week for a chance to buy suites scheduled to open in 2011.
The building's 592 units were such a hot commodity that shoving matches broke out between irate brokers wanting to be first through the sales room door.
Architect Roy Varacalli says the penthouse takes up the entire 80th floor of the $450 million skyscraper, giving its owner an "absolutely spectacular" 360-degree view of the city.
If the buyer closes the deal within the prescribed 10 days, he'll trump Toronto billionaire Alex Shnaider, who revealed in August he plans to keep what he thought was Canada's priciest condo – valued at $20 million – in the Trump International Hotel & Tower he's helping finance.
But Shnaider said at the time his mansion-in-the-sky could be as big as 14,000 square feet, dwarfing the One Bloor East penthouse.
Varacalli said the One Bloor East buyer was sold when he heard the unit will have a 12-foot-by-20-foot indoor infinity or "vanishing edge" pool. The pool's infinity edge runs right up to a floor-to-ceiling plate glass wall at one side of the building.
"If you open your eyes underwater, you get a view of the city," Varacalli added.
"The buyer got wind of it and he wanted it."
When the building opens, slated for 2011, the sky-high suite will be loaded with high-end features including an elevator that opens right into the penthouse foyer and a private outdoor garden.
It is also to have five outdoor terraces, with in-floor radiant heat to melt snow.

The kitchen is the last word in ultra luxury, with a Cambrian stone top island, six-burner in-line gas stove, champagne pantry, steam ovens, under-counter crispers and a walk-in wine cellar. For party time, there is a separate caterer's kitchen.
The suite has three bedrooms, a library, music room, family room, nanny's quarters, floors made of wood, marble and limestone and 12-foot ceilings. It even has a cold room for fur storage.
And no close quarters at the bathroom sink here: the suite sports his-and-hers ensuite master baths.
Hers has a steam shower with heated floors and walls, a fireplace, wine fridge, lounge area and Agape soaker tub from Italy, made of stone and Corian, that fronts a solid glass wall.
"It's placed in front of a window so you can sit in it and look down on the rest of us plebs," Varacalli laughed. "It's pure opulence."
It will be One Bloor East's biggest, but not its only, penthouse.
The top three floors are set aside for top-of-the-heap suites. The two penthouses on the 79th floor have been the subject of $9.5 million offers.
Down on the 78th floor, three penthouses are still on offer for a mere $5.5 million to $6.5 million.
Interiors will be by Andrea Kantelberg, Toronto's top eco-designer, and feature sustainable green materials throughout.

The exterior, which has distinctive "wings" at the top, is designed with a unique sliding balcony-door system that reflects light and changes the appearance of the building depending on how the owners position them.
"What is interesting is that this puts the residents in charge of the design," Varacalli said.
Trump Tower currently claims to have the tallest condo spire on the drawing board, at 281.88 metres spread over 57 storeys. One Bloor East is to have the same number of stories in a slightly smaller package at 276 metres.
Aura, another condo project that was launched yesterday, is forecast to reach 243 metresVaracalli does nothing to tone down the edifice complex when he notes the Trump Tower gets some height from "that silly antenna on top."
He then jokes he'll extend the wings at his tower so it hits 282 metres.
One Bloor East's developer, Bazis International of Kazakhstan, has held back about 100 of the building's apartment suites for sale next weekend.
Apartments start at 585 square feet. The first three storeys are to feature retail space, with floors above that to include common areas and hotel rooms.

When the lineups started two weeks ago, suites were listed on a billboard at prices from $300,000 to $2 million.
By the time the sales office officially opened Wednesday, a new sign showed prices had inflated to $500,000 to $8 million.
The $25 million super suite was not among those put on offer to the queuing public.

While the price may seem crazy to many, Toronto isn't world class when it comes to superluxury condos.
Four 20,000-square-foot units at One Hyde Park in London, England, are rumoured to be up for grabs at $160 million each. There is talk that one has already sold.
Forbes.com reports that financier Martin Zweig owns the most expensive condo in the U.S., a $70 million penthouse perched atop New York City's landmark Pierre Hotel, overlooking Central Park.
Oh, this thing is getting built. And built in a hurry.
Re: "vanishing edge" pool
wow!
The exterior, which has distinctive "wings" at the top...
Wings? Who writes this crap... it's a mohawk!

This 25 million dollar purchase of the penthouse suite sure puts a different spin on this building IMO. It works out to 3333 dollars a square foot!:eek:

IF this is true, then it should lend some credibility to the development IMO. This buyer would likely not shell out such an incredible amount for a fly by night operation, so much more than the top price in the Trump penthouse. If the down payment is still 20 percent, its a nice 5 million dollar advance for Bazis.

I think the value of the Yonge and Bloor intersection is underestimated outside of Canada. I'm curious to see how many units they are selling now that they've escalated the prices so much. Surely they will have alienated those who would be buying the lower end units and their withholding of units for later on is not endearing themselves to investors either I'm sure.

After looking at a picture of the model, it's a lot more square than the renderings suggest. It looks pretty tame, actually. I'm starting to worry, as I really want this to be spectacular.

I agree with half your statement. Why must we resign ourselves to the notion that Chicago is better or has more potential than Toronto?

That wasn't what I was implying at all. Why must we always compare Toronto to NYC and Chicago in a negative way?

Toronto is it's own city with limitless potential. Just because some of the designs here aren't as good as some of the designs there doesn't mean the city is going nowhere.

Inspired by Vultur's musings I have launched a DD (due dilligence) investigation into Bazi's claims. If mod's want to make a separate thread for this subject (Bazis) feel free to do so. Anyone wanna join in and help find some info on these new "phonies" in town?

Here's my first report: http://www.astana.dan.kz/sez/sez_angl/novosti_angl.htm
...The head of the country N.A.Nazarbayev took part in the ceremony of foundation stone laying of the biggest trade-entertaining centre in Kazakhstan, having no counterparts in the whole world. Entertaining centre with the total are of more than 80 000 m2 will occupy the territory of 7 000 ha. The project costs 140 billion of US dollars and represents the pavilion, supported by steel masts with height of 200 meters.

The trade-entertaining center intends having no counterparts will be constructed with the use of heavy-duty and transparent materials, transmitting natural light. To the opinion of designers the centre is designed in the way that in spite of severe climatic conditions of the capital the inside part of the centre will preserve special temperature.

The investors of this project are “Rixos” and “Coalko” groups. “Sembol Insaat A.S.” company, being the part of “Rixos” group structure deals with the construction of the project. Famous English architect Norman Foster (link to building render here: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...um=1&hl=en&rls=HPIB,HPIB:2005-48,HPIB:en&sa=N ), being already known in Kazakhstan as the author of “Peace and Agreement Palace” symbolizing brotherhood of all religions and confessions was involved into the implementation of this project.

Private investments are represented by “High Vill” Ltd. (South Korea), ZAO “Eurasian FPK”, ZAO “Altaustroiinvest”, “Bazis-A Corporation” Ltd., “KazArabInvest” Ltd., OJSC “Astana-Nedvizhymost”, “Elitstroi” Ltd., OJSC “Kuat”, “Ulan” Ltd., ZAO “Inteko”, which deal with construction of modern housing estates with sociocultural objects, hotel complexes, objects of small and middle business etc....

On Bazis International's website http://www.bazisinternational.com/flash/main.html they have photos of various Eastern European projects. So I googled one of them: "Triumph of Astana" (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=b7ccb2882e3bb558460e03b8ca5a615a and this is what I found: http://www.amcham.kz/article.php?article_id=378 Here's the bit that is relevant to our search: ...In order to stimulate the development of the construction business in Astana, a Special Economic Zone called “Astana – New City” was set up in 2002. Geographically it is located on the left side of the Ishim River on 1052 hectares of virgin land, where the foundation of the new city was laid. Special investment preferences and tax exemptions are granted to investors operating in the zone. Most of the construction materials imported for use in the special economic zone are exempt from customs duties. The project proved to be effective; thus, the President extended it until 2010 instead of 2007 as it was initially planned. Over 400 contractors, including 7 foreign companies operate on the territory of special economic zone. A special body called General Management of Astana – New City that monitors the on-going construction projects and announces tenders on new investment projects. Private investors are represented by such companies as CJSC “Eurasia FPK”, CJSC Basis-A Corporation, JSC Astana- Nedvizhimost, Elite Stroy Ltd., OJSC Kuat Corporation, all engaged in construction of residential and commercial properties. More details and pictures are available at: http://www.astana.dan.kz/sez/investor.htm

So some proof that Bazis-A Corporation is indeed our Bazis International is needed.

Here's my first report: http://www.astana.dan.kz/sez/sez_angl/novosti_angl.htm
...The head of the country N.A.Nazarbayev took part in the ceremony of foundation stone laying of the biggest trade-entertaining centre in Kazakhstan, having no counterparts in the whole world. Entertaining centre with the total are of more than 80 000 m2 will occupy the territory of 7 000 ha. The project costs 140 billion of US dollars and represents the pavilion, supported by steel masts with height of 200 meters.

That price could not possibly be correct. 80,000 square metres (~800,000 sq. ft.) for 140 BILLION dollars? That's a mere $175,000 psf. Perhaps they meant 140 million dollars ($175 psf), instead.

Bill

The claim made by some that the money behind Bazis is all being funneled from outside the country through various back channels is completely false. There are a number of significant domestic investors behind the scenes that are supporting the efforts of Bazis to develop this and other properties in Toronto.

Thank you, Mike in TO.

I think we've heard enough speculation about the financing. Could we keep it civil and closer to the topic on hand?

The claim made by some that the money behind Bazis is all being funneled from outside the country through various back channels is completely false. There are a number of significant domestic investors behind the scenes that are supporting the efforts of Bazis to develop this and other properties in Toronto.

Thanks Mike in TO, I appreciate all your insights on this project. I do not know for the life of me why there are so many naysayers and people who are willing this project to fail. I can see it being very positive on the image of downtown Toronto and Toronto in general, a lot rides on this project because of its international visibility, even more than the other luxury condo developments in Toronto IMHO.

I believe alternative viewpoints should be allowed on this--or any--board; it's not like we live in China where some gov't agency spies on the board making certain posters stick to PC posts? It's not as if this board is an extension of the condo guide--advertorials for developers--so why not allow some opposing views? Makes it more exciting to read. It's kinda like reading a newspaper--dullsville if only one voice (eg in usa pro bush/iraq war) is heard. Yes Vultur is kinda hard on these Bazis folks--but he does have a point: would you pay $3000psft to live at yonge and bloor? would you buy a luxury item from an unknown brand name?

Although supply vs demand could explain the abrupt increase in 1 Bloor's condo prices, I believe Bazis' strategy shouldn't be accepted at face value. Not all of us fall for marketing stunts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back