News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect location for Macy's. They expressed interest in the late 1990s so there is a precedent.

You know whats funny? I was thinking Macy's while typing Wal Mart. It would be cool to see them open up shop here, and 1BE would be one hell of a place for them to start up in. Then we can have a Macy's thanksgiving parade down Yonge, or along Bloor!

Somehow, Macy's would make more sense with a total rebuild of the Bay across the street...

I've never been so mislead by one of those nutty reverse perspective renders before.... until I saw the model and these elevations I remained convinced that "fins' angled north to a climax (___ UT joke goes here).

Turns out they are a bunch of 8 metre flat panels of little architecture merit.

Which begs the question... how did Wylie know what the tower really looked like nearly 2 months ago? He's sneaking peeks somehow..... let's find out his sources.

1_Bloor_East_3.JPG

1be_ev.jpg

Architectural review?

THANK GOODNESS!!!!!

Sorry about the shouting, but the latest version of this tower is lame, and has been screaming for such a review. Recent reports read as if the review of the previous design with the City's planning department had reduced the design to 90 degree angles, removing the scooped western facade and the slight V shape achieved by vaulting floors out (on the north side at least) as the building rose. Was it the planning department that dulled the building down, or did Bazis apply The Cheapening to the previous plan? In any case, what we have ended up with is graceless, especially the useless, blocky mechanical slab and fins at the top. So go at 'em boys - make something of this exclamation point on the skyline!

Oh - and retail? The space is not nearly big enough to house a proper Macy's. Simons would fit however, but I'm still hoping they'll take over part of the Bay Queen Street if that store gets downsized. Apple would be a natural fit here.

I've never been so mislead by one of those nutty reverse perspective renders before.... until I saw the model and these elevations I remained convinced that "fins' angled north to a climax (___ UT joke goes here).

Turns out they are a bunch of 8 metre flat panels of little architecture merit.

Which begs the question... how did Wylie know what the tower really looked like nearly 2 months ago? He's sneaking peeks somehow..... let's find out his sources.
(photo's edited because it's really annoying to multiple images on one page)
I think Wylie figured it out by relating the fins to the top floor (they're at the same angle). I found the renderings with the curved walls even more spatially confusing than this one (as most renderings for advertising are).
I'm actually warming up to the design. I think the spire is quite clean with surprises coming from the angle you view it from. I think Wylie has missed the elegance of the spire in his model (not to criticise him, I LOVE his models, the serious kind of love). I'm also guessing the fins will be lit up--which should work nicely. I think the trick of making it work will be getting the proportions right. I really hope the design works because, imo, 1BE will have the biggest impact on the skyline since FCP.

I tend to agree with 42 actually. While I don't expect a Nouvel or Calatrava masterpiece, I do think that Y-B requires something a little more cutting edge than this rather conservative and ordinary looking highrise.

Rezoning Application

Not sure if this was posted, but 1 Bloor has just applied for rezoning. I gather this is the reaction to the Aura development.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-8721.pdf

I heard that this can take months to approve. I wonder if it will impact their schedule for demolition and whether it will impact sales?

Anyone hear of any updated sales figures? I still wonder why they were supposedly only letting 100 units out at a time, sounds very sneaky. Almost as sneaky as the sudden price increase!

^No, actually the existing zoning is only for 232m. Bazis had sold units on the basis of a considerably taller building, but apparently had intended all along to wait until now to apply for the zoning to build what they were selling.

Bill

^No, actually the existing zoning is only for 232m. Bazis had sold units on the basis of a considerably taller building, but apparently had intended all along to wait until now to apply for the zoning to build what they were selling.

Bill

Thanks for the clarification. Isn't that a rather risky proposition to sell what hasn't been approved? What if it falls through? Sorry for the naive question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back