8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bloated trophy homes for the bourgeoisie are generally nostalgia-based and stylistically conservative. In the case of 1 St. Thomass, the spirit of the 1930s might well call for the annexation of several neighbouring structures or their redevelopment as townhomes or whatever.

At the risk of opening up old wounds, I just wanted to update this thread with a pic of the completed townhome portion on Charles St. West.

It's too bad about those ugly blue light posts.

DSCN3762.jpg

Yeah, light posts come in entirely different species in this town.

Good to see the finished streetscape

The one place I think Stern messed up on was the corner of St. Thomas and Charles. A nice corner cafe, a place to get both meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and alchohol would really liven up the intersection. The walls facing the street could be opened up allowing for increased transparency between street and restaurant. Schiller's Liquor Bar at Rivington and Norfolk in the Lower East Side is an excellent example of what I am on about.

0929S1.jpg

0929S2.jpg

Right under here, where the unused conference room now sits.

DSCN0681.jpg

Photo c/o Casaguy.

while I agree a nice cafe would put life on the street corner here ... however I don't think it would FLY to have restaurant-like tenants in the ground level of a building in this price range (due to possible odour?) ... it may just very well be a 'class' thing

And the street is certainly less commercial than the streets in the pictures above.

while I agree a nice cafe would put life on the street corner here ... however I don't think it would FLY to have restaurant-like tenants in the ground level of a building in this price range (due to possible odour?) ... it may just very well be a 'class' thing

Which is why I suggested Schiller's. as simply Dan suggests, if you are in New York, it's a must-visit.

And the street is certainly less commercial than the streets in the pictures above.

Yes but with two new buildings under construction, plus Vic just down the road, I don't see any problems with business. Imagine a warm summer night, the doors open, beer and tapis in hand I can't see it not being a draw.

but from a marketing point of view ... would owners in 1 St. Thomas (with that price tag) want a bar that draws high traffic to the building?

You may be right Solaris, but I have a hard time believing that anybody who chooses to live in this area, no matter the price tag, would have an issue with this sort of street-level activity. Seems to me it's one of the reasons they would choose to live there to begin with.

Buildings like this are all about being *close* to the action, but actually in a totally quiet/exclusive/private setting. No way would the owners want any sort of public establishment housed within.

Have to agree with ProjectEnd. Vic's cafe on Charles st is actually pretty popular, despite its mediocre food.
I'm predicting there will be a restaurant/cafe on the corner of Bay and Charles where that convenience store went out of business at the Bay/Charles Towers. They could easily put in a patio.

but from a marketing point of view ... would owners in 1 St. Thomas (with that price tag) want a bar that draws high traffic to the building?

Also remember that the entrance to this building is on the opposite corner. The restaurant/bar would not interfere with resident's comings and goings.

but bear in mind noise carries ~

anyhow ... I think I agree with the general idea of creating lively streetscapes though :)

Look at it this way: nobody's begging for a sidewalk cafe carved out of some of those grand Avenue Rd apartments like the Balmoral...

Back