News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for letting me. Last time I checked we were a bit behind...

That's why I love UrbanToronto!

You're welcome.

And we still might be depending on what source you cite.

Suffice to say it's quite close.

This bulletin from Ryerson explains some of the discrepancy:

The gist is that there is a general agreement that the census undercounts people; and the official numbers are always revised upwards thereafter.

The revision after 2016 was ~3%; due to the pandemic, undercounts are expected to be higher this time, somewhere between 4-6%

In Toronto, the impact of that is substantial, with a census number of 2,724,000 ( a 6% upward revision would be 2,897,000)

That said, we've wandered from the point of this thread! So perhaps we should get back to building heights!

Last edited:
Thanks for the latest summary! Really enjoyed reading it!

In my mind, when comparing Chicago and Toronto, regarding any metric, what makes more sense (at least to me) is to compare Chicagoland (28,120km2 in area) to Greater Golden Horseshoe (31,562km2 in area). But obviously, it's not easy to find hights of all the proposals and even u/c buildings in Mississauga, Vaughan, KW, Hamilton...

PS I would personally like it more if we had a similar term like Chicagoland. Maybe Torontoland?
Anytime. Yes, we need our own name. Toronto CondoLand? 😄

Toronto 150 Metre + towers

116 built and u/c

147 proposed

Chicago 150 Metre + towers

137 built and u/c

6 proposed

I'll update every time Toronto and/or Chicago adds a new tower. Hopefully Toronto can add more 150 + towers as we go along this year and at some point catch up and pass Chicago. 😃

Last edited:

117 built and u/c

137 built and u/c

Toronto is now 20 - 150 metre towers behind Chicago Completed and U/C. I'm hoping things will pick up later this year, too, with the high demand for housing happening. We've also seen a few new 150 Metre + towers proposed just this week. as well. The countdown is on! 😃

117 built and u/c

137 built and u/c

Toronto is now 20 - 150 metre towers behind Chicago Completed and U/C. I'm hoping things will pick up later this year, too, with the high demand for housing happening. We've also seen a few new 150 Metre + towers proposed just this week. as well. The countdown is on! 😃

118 built and u/c

137 built and u/c

Toronto is now 19 - 150 metre towers behind Chicago Completed and U/C. We've added 2 towers in the last couple of weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if more are added before too long. 😃

118 built and u/c

137 built and u/c

Toronto is now 19 - 150 metre towers behind Chicago Completed and U/C. We've added 2 towers in the last couple of weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if more are added before too long. 😃
So GTA finally has the same number of completed and U/C 150m+ as the whole Chicagoland? 😁

Toronto 118
Mississauga 11
Vaughan 8

GTA 137

So GTA finally has the same number of completed and U/C 150m+ as the whole Chicagoland? 😁

Toronto 118
Mississauga 11
Vaughan 8

GTA 137

1 thing that has amazed me is how far ahead of other cities outside of Chicago and New York we are. Miami has 62 150 m + skyscrapers, but we'll soon have 118 and even more on the way soon. I was shocked San Francisco and Houston (27 and 37 150 m+ each) have far fewer 150 M + towers than we do, and even in the 100 M + category completed and u/c, Toronto is way ahead of most cities. It's not even close! 😃

Last edited:
1 thing that has amazed me is how far ahead of other cities outside of Chicago and New York we are. Miami has 62 150 m + skyscrapers, but we'll soon have 118 and even more on the way soon. I was shocked San Francisco and Houston (27 and 37 150 m+ each) have far fewer 150 M + towers than we do, and even in the 100 M + category completed and u/c, Toronto is way ahead of most cities. It's not even close! 😃
There are no new u/c skyscrapers just yet, we still have a total of 118 towers 150 meters or taller completed and u/c. However, I couldn't help noticing that we also have 160 total 150 metres and taller towers in the proposal stage. Either approved or under review. We are hurtling toward the 300 total mark for towers 150 metres and taller completed/u/c and proposed. 278! Wow! 😃

However, I couldn't help noticing that we also have 160 total 150 metres and taller towers in the proposal stage.

Many of these are 10+ years from construction start, particularly the larger multi-tower developments around malls.

That said, there will be several new proposals which start construction within 5 years so it probably averages out.

Many of these are 10+ years from construction start, particularly the larger multi-tower developments around malls.

That said, there will be several new proposals which start construction within 5 years so it probably averages out.
Yes, you're right. Some of them might never even get built, too. But at the pace and ongoing increase in new proposals, there will likely be many more, and it will average out as you say. Overall it's impressive, and as long as everything doesn't completely collapse and the demand continues for new housing, it should at least mean a steady flow of new u/c projects in the future for some time to come. No matter how you look at it, we skyscraper fans here in Toronto are spoiled, lol. 😃

I just wanted to update Toronto's current total of Completed and U/C towers 150 metres and taller. Toronto currently has 119. The update before is my mistake as I used the Skyscraper Page Diagrams incorrectly. I'm now checking the stats by listing the Official heights 1st and the Roof heights 2nd, which gives the most accurate stats. Before, I'd checked off Roof heights 1st and Official heights 2nd. So now we're at 119 total 150 metres + towers. 81 completed and 38 U/C. Chicago is still at 137 total 150 metres + towers with 4 U/C at the moment.

So we're presently 18 towers behind Chicago overall! 😀

Last edited:
Well, this is kind of cheating and just for fun, but the GTA now has 141 150 metre skyscrapers completed and U/C. At the same time, Chicago's metro area has a total of 137 150 skyscrapers completed and U/C. All of Chicago's towers are in the city of Chicago, and they have none in the rest of their metro area. The GTA has 141 and all in Toronto, Vaughn, and Mississauga. We are still behind in Toronto compared to the city of Chicago alone, but in comparing the metro regions, we are now ahead by 4! Woo hoo! 😀

Back