5.2K     0 

IanO

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Off to Council this week for consideration
LDA21-0359_Featureimage_800.jpg

Administration is in [B[SUPPORT[/B] of this application because it:
● allows for increased density at a location that is within walking distance to a variety
of alternatives modes of transportation and amenities; and
● provides intensification within the Centre City Node, as directed by the City Plan, at a location where the proposed mid-rise building appropriately transitions between the
high-rise context of Jasper Avenue and lower-scale interior of the Oliver neighborhood.

Comments
Supportive comments
● This is a suitable location for this type of development (3x)
● The building’s design looks good (2x)
● As older housing stock turns over, this type of development is an appropriate
replacement (2x)
● Access from the alley will maintain pedestrian priority and safety along 122 Street
(2x)
● This development, and others, are enhancing the western portion of the Oliver
neighborhood (1x)
● The medium-sized scale of this development ensures a more walkable and
enjoyable neighborhood (1x) Concerns
● This development will exacerbate the parking issues that this area is already experiencing (1x)
Suggestion
● The development should provide a parking supply that is more than what is required under Open Option parking (1x)

For fun:

I worked on the original plan for this site back in 07 for a different group. This is what we had initially proposed...

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.14.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.14.10 AM.png

*You can ignore that central glass walkway thing.

For fun:

I worked on the original plan for this site back in 07 for a different group. This is what we had initially proposed...

View attachment 385363View attachment 385364

*You can ignore that central glass walkway thing.

I would much prefer this original plan. I would like to see a few more townhouse projects in Oliver. It looks like about 24 units?

And the parking was for the condo owners I take it?

I cannot recall the unit count, but they were all 3 storey with UG parking incl direct to unit access. The above grade was visitor parking for the TH, Tower and some quick (<30mins) for the retail.

It doesn't seem like there will be much opportunity for townhouse units for sale in Oliver unfortunately. Would be nice to see a bit more housing variety and i think this would have been a good spot.

It doesn't seem like there will be much opportunity for townhouse units for sale in Oliver unfortunately. Would be nice to see a bit more housing variety and i think this would have been a good spot.
Townhomes for sale like the cx or Hendrix ones would make sense. I love how many townhomes Vancouver has in podiums. Stand alone probably won’t happen, and I don’t think should. Oliver needs medium to high density. Townhomes can go in westmount. Queen mary, glenora.

Disagree. Standalone townhomes often allow for a yard, rooftop patio, courtyard for families and a much different experience than even a townhouse in a tower for it permits windows at the backend to reduce the shoebox feeling. We don't need them everywhere and don't have the demand for that much product, but a couple of well placed projects of only townhouses near Oliver school could be very beneficial.

Very interesting to see the original plan. We seem to skip that step here a lot, going from single family home to high rise in the more central areas, but its nice to have something on a human scale in the central areas and not just high rise after high rise.

I understand what Vancouver is trying to do and think it is not a bad idea, however it is a very different market with major supply and affordability issues.

I agree - standalone townhomes/row housing could be very beneficial from an affordability and density standpoint. The land & cost efficiency that you get from a row house vs a single family or duplex is huge. Plus, as @IanO said, the addition of a front/backyard and rooftop space is a huge selling feature.

Unfortunately there are hardly any appropriately zoned lots in the established neighbourhoods - the risk/reward calculation for going through rezoning for developers at a rowhouse scale isn't quite there. Plus there is the issue of Edmontonians' finnicky preferences (and of course a market where single family homes are still relatively affordable in many mature areas).

I agree - standalone townhomes/row housing could be very beneficial from an affordability and density standpoint. The land & cost efficiency that you get from a row house vs a single family or duplex is huge. Plus, as @IanO said, the addition of a front/backyard and rooftop space is a huge selling feature.

Unfortunately there are hardly any appropriately zoned lots in the established neighbourhoods - the risk/reward calculation for going through rezoning for developers at a rowhouse scale isn't quite there. Plus there is the issue of Edmontonians' finnicky preferences (and of course a market where single family homes are still relatively affordable in many mature areas).
By affordable we’re talking like 800k and up for a 3bdrm townhouse? I don’t see new townhouses in Oliver going for way cheaper?

By affordable we’re talking like 800k and up for a 3bdrm townhouse? I don’t see new townhouses in Oliver going for way cheaper?

Sounds about right. Which is why it doesn't seem like there is much of a market for it these days in Edmonton when you can get a quality single-family house in Westmount for the same or cheaper.

It works in Toronto where a townhouse is $1M, a duplex is $1.5M, and a single is $2.5M.

They would work better as a rental townhouse, but really depends on the rental rate. If it's over $2500/month for a 3-bedroom, I don't know if there's a market for that at the moment. I wonder how the CX townhouses are renting out?

Back