News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

hoggytime

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Stantec has been retained by Kionas to prepare the following Planning Rationale and Design Brief in
support of concurrent Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment applications for their property at 1034
McGarry Terrance in Barrhaven Downtown. The proposal, known as Marketplace Towers West, includes
two high-rise towers connected by a mid-rise podium with at-grade commercial and publicly accessible
amenity space.
The proposal is composed on a four-storey podium with at-grade commercial space surrounding a central
courtyard facing Marketplace Avenue. Two towers of 35 and 26 storeys flank the courtyard space and are
connected by a ten-storey link. The proposal includes 1104 m2 of at-grade commercial space, 592
apartment units, and a 440 m2 courtyard that would operate as a privately owned public space

Devapps: 1034 McGarry Terrace

Screenshot 2024-07-23 091740.png

Elevation:
Screenshot 2024-07-23 091930.png

Renders:

Screenshot 2024-07-23 091959.png
Screenshot 2024-07-23 091813.png

Massing in context:

Screenshot 2024-07-23 093011.png

Wow, some serious height and density in Barrhaven. Design looks pretty decent & clean. With some work, "downtown" Barrhaven could someday be a reality.. a pretty dense, active & walkable community.

Rendering gives me a Sim City 4 vibe.

Certainly a good project however, we've seen many of these tower projects proposed at all 3 big suburbs, but none have gone up so far. It's all been Lépine' "Lees Moderne" and towers in a drop-off loop Petrie's Landing so far.

These look far more Toronto TOD style (Markham, Scarborough for example) than Ottawa CharcWhite
Really hoping we one day see skyline clusters at nearly every O-Train Station line they have in Toronto and Vancouver. Don't really think any other Canadian City does it quite like they do. But I think Ottawa might get the largest continuous urban area outside Montreal and Toronto with everything that's going on between Vanier and Lincoln Fields, Bayview to Dow's Lake.

Really hoping we one day see skyline clusters at nearly every O-Train Station line they have in Toronto and Vancouver. Don't really think any other Canadian City does it quite like they do. But I think Ottawa might get the largest continuous urban area outside Montreal and Toronto with everything that's going on between Vanier and Lincoln Fields, Bayview to Dow's Lake.

I think the naysayers @ SSP Canada will be shocked by how this city looks over the coming years. It's shaping into something unique in Canada, with the sheer length of the skyline forming along the river. So many game changing projects are going ahead or very likely to go ahead...we just need Sky or 900 Albert or something else over 150m to put a cherry on top.

From OBJ:

Article is paywalled beyond this

Developer’s two-tower proposal for Barrhaven includes nearly 600 rental units​

David Sali
David Sali

• July 23, 2024
  • 12:31 PM
  • ET

Barrhaven proposal

An Ottawa construction firm wants to build two mixed-use highrises of 35 and 26 storeys in Barrhaven.

An Ottawa developer has submitted a proposal to build two mixed-use towers of 26 and 35 storeys that would add nearly 600 new units to Barrhaven’s rental housing inventory. Kionas Construction says the two highrises at the corner of Marketplace Avenue and McGarry Terrace would contain 592 apartments, including 290 one-bedroom units, 244 two-bedroom units, […]

I had shared EARLY renders on this in the Railfans discord. I'm very happy to see this come to light. Moronic NIMBYs are crying about it, but it seems David Hill is fully supportive of it. As long as he pushes it through, we can see this one go up exactly as is. This will be beautiful to see off the 416, and I actually quite like the design. More things like this in Barrhaven Centre would also create a bigger push for Stage 3, which I would like. The first floor has 5 retail bays, and 6 floors of underground parking.

1721846130505.png

Based on the documents, this was originally 130m, so it was going to be a bit higher than 35 floors. At 123m though, this one is going to soar up and be in our top 10 in the city. I'll take it.

Viewing deck? Public restaurant? I like it. Even if there isn't much to see yet, as the Barrhaven downtown grows, it will be nice to have this up there. To combat the nimbyism, we need to contact the councillor and email him that we support the project. Hopefully that'll give them some ammo to push it through.
We are proposing to have the 32nd and 33rdfloors of the western tower for a public restaurant, viewing platform and amenities. As well as dedicating the 20th and the 21st floors at the eastern tower for amenities.• The intent is to include a pool, party room and further associated amenities. The massing of the amenity floors will be designed with different and larger scale shapes to break down the redundance of the tower floor shapes.

Here are the old renders I dug up over a year ago, it looks to be very similar to what was designed here!

1721846884801.png
1721846891662.png
1721846898043.png
1721846906973.png

1721846874673.png

Looks like that 7m reduction is evident but still good as almost double in height from Phase 1!!
1721847010526.png

What are the NIMBYs complaining about?!? Shadows on the Walmart?!? It's already on BRT and LRT in a few years...there are three adjacent high rises...
The most lunatic arguments I have seen.

They're crying that Barrhaven shouldn't be like the city (it should be a neighborhood only... even though it's a 100k+ population district of our city), they are complaining about the height's shadows, that it will DESTROY driving and make traffic unbearable (all that CONGESTION), this needs to be affordable housing (fake virtue signaling, none of them actually care about it because I've seen similar names complaining about the refugee tent), someone falsely claimed it will be the tallest in Ottawa, they want more greenspace, they are cramming residents together, "why build this if LRT is already scrapped, it's never going to come", schools can't sustain this building. There was also a complaint that this will hurt the airport's airspace. This far out.

I saw someone say they hate this suburb and then say they live in Stittsville and that towers like this are too much growth too fast.

I don't even understand them.

I personally hate that it's nowhere near LRT and in general having hard time picturing people who would want to live there.

Also, is it the first one for Kionas Construction? Wonder why they picked that location.

I personally hate that it's nowhere near LRT and in general having hard time picturing people who would want to live there.

Also, is it the first one for Kionas Construction? Wonder why they picked that location.
They built the two towers right beside it. They owned both lots. This is their Phase 2.

The location isn't actually that bad, it has a lot of retail and direct BRT access. As for LRT, it would if Stage 3 was greenlit. Projects like this would be the perfect catalyst for justifying LRT out to Kanata and Barrhaven, completing the network to cover a large chunk of the city.

Back