News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

rural areas and small towns don't have many signs i have noticed.

Suburbs and big cities have tons of signs.

A very interesting issue in York South Weston:

(http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15385.aspx)
Wednesday October 3, 2007

The NDP wants to keep hazardous chemicals from seeping into your backyard. It's pushing for the "Right to Know" law, so your family is told when it's being exposed to toxins.

Federal NDP Leader Jack Layton said Premier Dalton McGuinty turned a blind eye to the issue last spring when the he dismissed the legislature amid the slush fund scandal.

"[It] could have already been law if Mr. McGuinty hadn't adjourned the discussions last spring," Layton said. "Let's hope, with more New Democrats in the legislature, that we can make that the law of the land, at least for Ontario, as soon as possible."

Layton made the comments Wednesday, at the site of a former paint factory in the Junction that's undergoing soil treatment to drive home his point that there are people possibly living with poisonous chemicals in their neighbourhood and don't even know it. The "Right to Know" bill would require companies to publicly disclose the toxins and other hazardous materials they use in the province's food, ground, air and water.

Families in the Junction community complain about strange odours, and say they suffer from headaches.

"I have suffered through headaches, nausea, running nose, itchy eyes, the works ... and it's not just me," said Lenore Sozinho, whose home is on a street adjacent to the site. "My next door neighbour has the same problems. Depending on how the wind's blowing, some days I can't even stay in my own backyard."

Layton was accompanied by provincial NDP candidate Peter Ferreira, who hopes to oust the Liberal incumbent in the Toronto riding of Davenport.

Meanwhile, Ontario NDP Leader Howard Hampton has promised to resurrect "Right To Know" as part of his campaign platform.
___

Although I knew of the property (which operated as a factory for decades), I didn't even know it was that contaminated. It's going to be a tight race between the NDP and the Liberals. Also of note is that two of John Tory's television ads were filmed in this riding.

Funny how Layton waited until the provincial election to bring this up.

Same here. One has to schlep up to Cabbagetown to see a lawn sign. The Tory candidate, who was a neighbour of mine when I lived uptown, hasn't been around once. Not that she has a snowball's chance of winning.

Her Botoxed mug has been overseeing select subway platforms. But her hands give her actual age away...

Smitherman isn't particularly liked but he wins by default. The Conservatives are no longer competitive downtown and the NDP would need a very strong candidate to take it. I believe the NDP is only really competitive in Pam McConnell's ward but they get killed north of Bloor and in the condos.

The only scenario where the NDP takes it is if David Miller comes out well in this budget crisis and decides to run for the NDP provincially or becomes leader. I think Miller could beat Smitherman in TC but I can't really think of anyone else unless they go over 25% province-wide.

re: Centre-Rosedale

Interesting that the ads for the PC candidate associated herself as a member of the John Tory team instead of referring to the party. Telling.

AoD

Interesting that the ads for the PC candidate associated herself as a member of the John Tory team instead of referring to the party. Telling.

AoD

I noticed that too for all the signs in Mississauga. They all say "Your John Tory candidate" instead "Your Progressive Conservative candidate".

Similar to the Equipe Paul Martin Team (with a pink Paul Martin) on the last Liberal signs in the last two elections - they thought that Paul Martin was a bigger selling point than the Liberal brand.

i saw a john tory sign given the charles manson & charlie chaplin treatment. it's never a good idea to put a face on a sign.

Similar to the Equipe Paul Martin Team (with a pink Paul Martin) on the last Liberal signs in the last two elections - they thought that Paul Martin was a bigger selling point than the Liberal brand.

And what a miscalculation that was.

That is the way things go these dayes - brand the party on the leaders name. In this election we saw "The John Tory Party". In the Martin era it was Paul Martin's Team. The federal NDP is always refered to now as Jack Layton's NDP or Jack Layton and the NDP. It is a way of appearing new or changed from the previous era of that party. For Jack Layton, they wanted to rebrand the NDP as something new. For Martin, it was about distancing himself from the Chretien era and the Sponsorship scandal. Even Stephen Harper is distancing himself from the old school Conservative image by branding his party as the "New Conservative Party of Canada". Hey, even the government is now calling itself "The New Government of Canada".

AoD

Of course in TC they have a good reason; Tory lives in the riding if I'm not mistaken, and his connections to Rogers and Rosedale/Yorkville high society mean that a lot of people do actually know him personally in the area.

That said, you always have to feel sorry for the poor Conservative candidate in a riding like that. I wish the NDP were more competitive, but I suspect it's a case of NDP voters in the south being canceled out by Tories (no pun intended) in the north. Liberals come up the middle every time. Helps federally that Bill Graham is such a blueblood, which gave him a real boost in Rosedale.

I'm a TC proxy/mail voter (it was my last registry in Canada) and man is it frustrating. I just tick for the Greens.

Back