News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No it's not a slippery slope. Anyone with a criminal code conviction should be barred from serving office. There is no slope. If you are not a criminal, you can run, if you are, you can't.

Unfortunately our legal system isn't perfect and we've had some pretty f*cked up laws in the past.

Furthermore, committing a criminal code offence doesn't mean that somebody is too rotten to hold public office. A Justice I happen to know has a close friend who was busted on a very serious robbery charge back when he was a teenager. He's not straightened out his life and has become an excellent lawyer and member of the community. And in the opinion of the Justice I was talking to, his friend very likely to become a Justice in the future.

I would hate if a guy like that wasn't able to run for public office. Yes he made a horrible mistake. But past mistakes doesn't mean that the individual is a bad person unworthy of public office.

No it's not a slippery slope. Anyone with a criminal code conviction should be barred from serving office. There is no slope. If you are not a criminal, you can run, if you are, you can't.

Anyone convicted of not having a lifejacket in a boat should also be barred. Is that not a criminal offense.

Ugh. I fear that this could spiral out of control. That said, I think I would be fine with barring candidates from running who are convicted of an indictable (i.e. serious) offense and have not received a pardon, or convicted of election or CoI offenses.

Last edited:
Ugh. I fear that this could spiral out of control. That said, I think I would be fine with barring candidates from running who are convicted of an indictable (i.e. serious) offense and have not received a pardon, or convicted of election or CoI offenses.

Yes, I agree.
I also feel that there is a huge difference in types of crimes. Someone who steals because of poverty has a much easier time of straightening themselves out than a doctor who sexually assaults female patients (which is what Jason/Dimitri did.) The latter is a sexual predator who has a psychological problem, ans should not have the privilege of running for public office.

TTCriders has produced a website with a
[h=1]Record of City Councillors’ Transit Votes that Resulted in Service Cuts, Longer Wait Times, and Higher Fares[/h]See link.

TTCriders has produced a website with a
Record of City Councillors’ Transit Votes that Resulted in Service Cuts, Longer Wait Times, and Higher Fares

See link.

I take it that we're supposed to be upset that underperforming bus routes were cut, and that dialysis patients got funding for wheel-trans?

I take it that we're supposed to be upset that underperforming bus routes were cut, and that dialysis patients got funding for wheel-trans?

I'm upset that funding was cut that resulted buses yanked on busy routes, resulting in more crush loads. Karen Stintz saw Ford's agenda through on that matter.

"Underperforming" simply depends on where you draw the line. If your criteria is profitability, every single route in the city would be cut. But of your criteria was the same as, say, Burlington, all these routes perform exceedingly well.

"Underperforming" simply depends on where you draw the line. If your criteria is profitability, every single route in the city would be cut. But of your criteria was the same as, say, Burlington, all these routes perform exceedingly well.

Well, most routes that aren't downtown.

So where should we draw the line then?

Well, most routes that aren't downtown.

Even downtown routes aren't profitable according to the TTC's accounting.

Our starting point is determined by the subsidy provided by the city. As we saw, the subsidy got cut, so the line moved north a bit, and so some people were left without a way to get home in the late evenings. Maybe not the optimal way of doing things, but it's the reality these days. But I'd argue that it's not the worst way to do things either, because it's actually a lot less politicized than some of the alternatives.

I'd say that drawing the line, and cutting the Dufferin bus DURING rush hour, was not the place.

Why Stintz thought it was okay to run buses on some our busiest and most overcrowded routes less frequently I don't know.

If all she had done was cut some service on marginal routes, that would be one issue. But there was an across the board change to make ALL the bus routes more crowded during rush hour.

Back