News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

KWT was right to argue to get Rosedale from TC riding. She was able to win last time while coming in (I believe) third north of Bloor. She obviously doesn't need Rosedale to win and will probably do slightly better there this time just because she has the advantage of incumbency.

Has anyone watched the Rogers debates for Ward 32?
Just curious as to someone else's view of Brian Graff....
He seemed to me to head and shoulders more prepared, informed and proactive either of the frontrunning contenders (MMM, Bussin)

I watched the one on Rogers cable channel. Brian Graff did come off as prepared but actually unlikeable in my opinion and I didn't like his stance on some things. One left field guy actually came off pretty well to me was Alan Burke. I liked that he took it upon himself to reach out to people and fix some things that he had noticed and that no one was responding to. He seems active within the community to help. Although he doesn't have the best looking website: http://alanburke.ca/ his twitter shows his activity https://twitter.com/alanjohnburke

He's been going on like this for years and years. He might well be a joke, but he's not in on it.

Exactly. It is not a joke unfortunately. Although his stance on things and his website might certainly lead you to believe that this could not possibly be real. It is. I've seen him putting up his crazy looking election signs in the neighbourhood. He shouldn't be allowed to be involved in the debates but whatever it's just more rope for people to see how he truly is.

KWT was right to argue to get Rosedale from TC riding. She was able to win last time while coming in (I believe) third north of Bloor. She obviously doesn't need Rosedale to win and will probably do slightly better there this time just because she has the advantage of incumbency.

That's my point. KWT doesn't even pretend to represent the northern part of her ward, presents herself in opposition to its residents, and doesn't need their votes to win. Hence my question about which of the other candidates is the most viable alternative.

That's my point. KWT doesn't even pretend to represent the northern part of her ward, presents herself in opposition to its residents, and doesn't need their votes to win. Hence my question about which of the other candidates is the most viable alternative.

I'm guessing that you live north of Bloor?

Tbh I wouldn't mind a reshuffling of ward boundaries in Toronto. The present borders are a leftovers of a pre-amalgamated city and don't really make much sense for several parts of the city, especially Midtown which wasn't really conceptualized until after amalgamation.

Not to mention the disproportionate balance between downtown wards and those of the outer city.

The present borders are not based on pre-amalgamation boundaries, they're based on federal/provincial ridings that do often cross the old Toronto and the "Yorks" split in half - based on the 1996 distribution. For example, Joe Mihevc's ward includes parts of old Toronto and the old borough of York and Eglinton-Lawrence includes parts of North York, York and Toronto. But they badly need to be updated.

Last edited:
KWT's identity issues mean she's completely unresponsive to the concerns of anyone in the ward who lives north of Bloor. I know...evil Rosedale and Moore Park capitalists don't deserve a voice - and with KWT at the helm we certainly don't get one.

Actually, I've noticed a "surprising" number of KWT signs north of Bloor this cycle...

The present borders are not based on pre-amalgamation boundaries, they're based on federal/provincial ridings that do often cross the old Toronto and the "Yorks" split in half - based on the 1996 distribution. For example, Joe Mihevc's ward includes parts of old Toronto and the old borough of York and Eglinton-Lawrence includes parts of North York, York and Toronto. But they badly need to be updated.
Another example is along the Danforth, which divides wards - but the preamalgamation boundary was further north.

The current wards are based on the federal 1997 distribution of 22 ridings, which I believe used the 1991 census (not the 1996 census). They came into effect in Toronto for the 2000 election. The current provincial and federal ridings (22.5 in Toronto, with one riding half in Scarborough and half in Pickering) are all based on the 2001 census. The next (2015) federal election will use a new distribution based on the 2011 census, increasing the Toronto ridings to 25.

Are there any updates planned for the borders?
Yes, Toronto voted in March to review ward boundaries, most likely in time for the 2018 election - see http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...es_and_possibly_a_boost_in_council_seats.html

If they again divide the federal ridings in 2, we would increase from 44 to 50 councillors. There's be some major changes, particularly in downtown.

After the 2015 federal election, we'll be in the odd situation until 2018 where the federal ridings are based on the 2011 census, the province on the 2001 census, and the city on the 1991 census. Hopefully by the October 2018 city and provincial elections (currently scheduled for the same month) both the city and province will have moved to the 2011 census. Re-examining the provincial ridings was in recently released mandate of of the Ontario Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs.

Huh interesting. If we go by 2015 Federal borders, it is possible that my area will be split off from St. Paul's as a new Mt. Pleasant ward.

Maybe in 2018 I should run for council. ;) ;) ;)

Actually, I've noticed a "surprising" number of KWT signs north of Bloor this cycle...

That's certainly a surprise to me. I've seen a lot of Tory signs in North Rosedale - no surprise - but that's about it.

Huh interesting. If we go by 2015 Federal borders, it is possible that my area will be split off from St. Paul's as a new Mt. Pleasant ward.

Maybe in 2018 I should run for council. ;) ;) ;)

No Mount Pleasant riding however there is a new one carved out of parts of St Pauls/Trinity/Toronto Centre to be known as "University/Rosedale"

The breakdown for 2018 looks something this
6 Scarborough
3 Etobicoke
1 York
8 Old City/East York S of Eg/the Don
3 Old City/North York/East York betwee Eg/401
4 Old North York beyond the 401

Last edited:

Back