News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm in Ward 30. Jane Farrow has come to the door a couple of times. No sign of Paula Fletcher or Liz West. I did get a robocall from Liz West just now, though, saying she supports John Tory and SmartTrack. I found it odd, to be honest. In 2010, she adopted Rob Ford's "stop the gravy train" slogan towards the end of the campaign. Now it's all about the greatness of John Tory/SmartTrack. Does Liz West have a habit of jumping on the frontrunner's bandwagon, or am I being mean?

I don't think that's being mean. She seems like an opportunist on some issues and from what I remember of seeing her on TV, not terribly bright.

I don't think that's being mean. She seems like an opportunist on some issues and from what I remember of seeing her on TV, not terribly bright.

Yea, West does not impress me. She's an entertainment news reporter running for council. Her only accomplishment in the past four years was when she sat on the Jackman School PTA (not even in Ward 30) and was the lone vote against naming the school community garden after Jack Layton because it would be "too political."

Initially it seemed like Fletcher and West would split the left vote and allow West to sneak in, but I have my suspicions that Farrow and West are actually splitting the anti-Fletcher vote. Residents who want a new councillor now have a much better "not-Fletcher" option in Farrow.

Last edited:
Yea, West does not impress me. She's an entertainment news reporter running for council. Her only accomplishment in the past four years was when she sat on the Jackman School PTA (not even in Ward 30) and was the lone vote against naming the school community garden after Jack Layton because it would be "too political."

Initially it seemed like Fletcher and West would split the "left vote" and allow West to sneak in, but I have my suspicions that Farrow and West are actually splitting the anti-Fletcher vote. Residents who want a new councillor now have a much better not-Fletcher option in Farrow.

Re Liz West. I'm not impressed, either. I have no doubt she's sincere and would do well on local stuff, especially in responding to constituents. But I don't think she's strong on larger policy issues. She strikes me as the back-bencher type.

Also, I think you're right about the split happening the anti-Fletcher vote. There's also a smaller trend with Paula/Jane splitting the anti-Liz vote.

Last edited:
Does anyone live in Ward 18? Is Bailao vs. Mazer a tight race?

I have no idea how tight it actually is, as I have yet to see any poll results, though a couple of mayoral phone polls also asked about ward 18 candidate support.

If I had to guess, judging by signs and what people are saying, I think Bailao has the upper hand. It'll be a last-minute struggle for Mazer...but I hope he does well (I plan to vote for him).

To add to that for those in Ward 18 does Derek Power have any chance?

Ha! I doubt it, but he has the best signs...all hand-painted and custom-made. I met him last weekend and he dropped off a couple of signs to our house.

Does anyone live in Ward 18? Is Bailao vs. Mazer a tight race?

It's hard to say, Mazer was out canvassing very early on and seems to have made a lot of solid connections with people, which is obvious through numerous endorsements of key residents who are outspoken and active in their communities. Lots of signs for him in my area.

On the other side, Bailao's community work seems to really resonate with people, particularly with regards to things like local park improvements because it is tangible proof of ward improvements. All over the ward there are definitely a lot of signs up for her.

I have never heard of Derek Power or seen any signs for him and aside from a sprinkling of Elsa Romao signs, I think the race is really only between Mazer and Bailao .

As a newcomer, Bailao didn't win by a huge amount in 2010 and will have the benefit of an incumbency that might be hard to top but it's not like she was an overwhelming favourite at the time. Her record of voting on items like cycling infrastructure and the Scarborough subway has turned people off her so I think there is a real chance for Mazer to come out on top.

I wonder how strong the Portuguese vote is in the ward, and if Elsa Romao splits it from Bailao?

There seems to be more Sarah Thomson than I expected. Maybe it was just on the street happen to walk by.

Totally anecdotal but I haven't heard anyone in Ward 20 who plans to vote for her. I also believe there have been reports about her signs being put up without permission

I wonder how strong the Portuguese vote is in the ward, and if Elsa Romao splits it from Bailao?

I doubt Elsa Romao is a factor at all. Of the candidates who showed up at the debate she was the least convincing (at least Singin' Jimmy showed some passion...heh). If there's a "Portuguese Vote" to be had, I don't see why it wouldn't go to Ana Bailao.

Totally anecdotal but I haven't heard anyone in Ward 20 who plans to vote for her. I also believe there have been reports about her signs being put up without permission

I'm almost certain she's just using the 2011 Trinity-Spadina provincial Liberal list for sign locations.

Back