News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For entertainment, I watch Jon Stewart make fun of republicans. I think I could live without the circus at city hall.

This is quoted from the RoFo thread. It is about a similar mayor elected in Guelph. The city is still trying to recover from it.

(Guelph) has some parallels to Toronto in that the core is quite lefty progressive, with pockets of right wingers, but then on the outskirts, it turns into conservative suburbia. It's a mini-Toronto.

A few years ago, a very conservative mayor was elected with the support of a group of developers, who funded a campaign for her that outspent everyone else by a long shot and kind of tied her to the anti-elitist feeling that many on the edges were feeling. She got a few big wins when she was first elected, cancelled some of the big signature policy pieces that the previous mayor had put in, but after a while, her inability to actually work with anyone led to a dysfunctional council that couldn't even agree on where to get coffee. This of course led to basically nothing getting done for a few years, until the next election where the mayor from before her got voted back in again.

Of course, the hangover from that one term is still felt today. Lots of uncontrolled development and building that are a drain on city resources, that kind of thing. The developers who funded her made a bundle though.
So, no, we do not want RoFo elected again. We have so many serious problems in Toronto. Four more years of inaction and stupid shenanigans will keep killing TO.

At this stage, and after much consideration, I have come to conclude that a Rob Ford 'minority' re-election may in fact be less damaging for the City in the long-term than a Tory election. It would be a shake-up, for sure, but one that Toronto's superbly active civil society would be able to get over in order to push for Toronto's pressing needs.
I've always felt this way due to the fact that Ontario controls most of the purse and that the city is merely a creature of the province's whims. However, Hudak's transit plans for the city itself (if he were to actually fund them) aren't that horrendous, while the international ridicule of re-electing Ford would be. Thereby, my hat has maybe tipped a bit the other way. Still, don't want either!

Look who's talking

Mayoral candidate Karen Stintz called on Ontario political party leaders now on their own campaign trail to join her “war on congestion” by committing to a subway in Scarborough and to funding a downtown relief line.

Ms. Stintz, who has gone from supporting an LRT to a subway, said the reason Toronto can’t seem to make progress on transit planning is because it fails to stick to projects between election cycles.

“When we talk about building a subway network across Toronto, my Toronto includes Scarborough,” she said Monday on a grassy median in front of Queen’s Park.

“I am committed to the plans that have been approved. I want the provincial government to commit to the plans that have been approved, the plans that are funded.” She said Torontonians are “sick and tired” of changing transit plans.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...r-on-congestion-commit-to-scarborough-subway/

Does anyone kinda wish Rob Ford gets re-elected? The other candidates are pretty weak. Rob Ford is also weak, but he provides entertainment. I live in Mississauga though so I'm not actually directly affected by his mayoralty (or lack thereof) so maybe my priorities are different.

o_O gtfo

:p

I go to football matches or spend time with my friends for entertainment. If I never see Rob Ford out in public again, I'll be a happy man.

Ahahahaha. What an idiot.

The nerve.

She's wrong. We're clearly not sick and tired of it.
And if Hudak gets elected they will change again. Toronto loves dancing but never finishing.

o_O gtfo

:p

I go to football matches or spend time with my friends for entertainment. If I never see Rob Ford out in public again, I'll be a happy man.

Hahaha, hey buddy, how's life?

Does anyone kinda wish Rob Ford gets re-elected? The other candidates are pretty weak. Rob Ford is also weak, but he provides entertainment. I live in Mississauga though so I'm not actually directly affected by his mayoralty (or lack thereof) so maybe my priorities are different.

Ford would actually be an upgrade compared to Hazel, thankfully she's on her way out too.

And if Hudak gets elected they will change again. Toronto loves dancing but never finishing.

And if Chow wins they will also change.

We need to find a compromise plan between LRT and underground subway. The history of the past 5 or 6 years tells us that the Miller, Liberal and Stintz LRT plans will just be cancelled, just as the Ford, Stinz and Liberal underground subway will be cancelled.

Ford would actually be an upgrade compared to Hazel, thankfully she's on her way out too.

I haven't lived in Mississauga since 1990 so I may not be an expert, but I'd say you're making this up...entirely.

+++++

den: Can I call you denfromhalton? ;) Life's great. Football season is on, I'm going to Europe next month, and I'm currently tripping out my friends by only drinking tea at the pub. You?

Short answer: No.

Surprised that Tory can't grab more of Stintz's supporters since to me, they would seem to have similar policies... Hopefully this turns out to be the case closer to the election date...

Tory is a 3 time loser with a history of not only making bad decisions but also flip-flopping, so I'm surprised he is even in the race. If he failed all those other times, what makes people believe this time will be any different?

I turned on Tory once I saw he chose an unscrupulous prick like Nick Kouvalis as his campaign manager. You know what they say, when you lay down with dogs, you're gonna get fleas. Tory making another terrible judgement call is no surprise. I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass.

And if Chow wins they will also change.

We need to find a compromise plan between LRT and underground subway. The history of the past 5 or 6 years tells us that the Miller, Liberal and Stintz LRT plans will just be cancelled, just as the Ford, Stinz and Liberal underground subway will be cancelled.
Really, I agree. Compromise? Eglinton Subway from the Airport to Kennedy and Finch West LRT.

I haven't lived in Mississauga since 1990 so I may not be an expert, but I'd say you're making this up...entirely.

+++++

den: Can I call you denfromhalton? ;) Life's great. Football season is on, I'm going to Europe next month, and I'm currently tripping out my friends by only drinking tea at the pub. You?
Honestly, neverous about these elections, the landscape of this city is going to change a lot this year.

I've been nervous about every election I can remember. Change is good, though our fptp electoral system is a sham and not indicative of public sentiment.

Back