News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I just don't like the changing transit plans. And Ford STILL may win!

If Ford wins, I'm moving to Hamilton or Europe. Sure, this may sound a bit extreme, but I had plans on spending 3 months in Europe next year anyway and have my EU citizenship so can work there and was planning on going to school in Hamilton. That, and I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really can't handle any more of either Ford wanker in any sort of position of authority in the city I consider my homeland.

If Ford wins, I'm moving to Hamilton or Europe. Sure, this may sound a bit extreme, but I had plans on spending 3 months in Europe next year anyway and have my EU citizenship so can work there and was planning on going to school in Hamilton. That, and I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really can't handle any more of either Ford wanker in any sort of position of authority in the city I consider my homeland.
I want to get out of here too, I'm look for jobs elsewhere just in case. It won't be hard to if Toronto shows that they love this. Where in Europe are is your family from?

How about we build whatever makes the most freaking sense.

hahahaaa....here? You're dreaming! ;)

lol in Toronto too? Might as well wish for a pony!

In the Ford thread there's been talk about can Ford compete if he comes clean. There was a poorly written article saying that 32% would vote consider to vote for Ford and compare it to Chow 33%

Nate Silver (guy who predicted that last couple of American elections and author signal and the noise) said numbers could be real but analysis is easy to BS. This is a perfect example of that.

They took Ford absolute ceiling (people who would consider voting for him) at 32%. So that 32% consists of undecided and soft supporters of other candidates and compare it to Chow 5-person percentage 33% and calling it close. But the thing is Chow 33% will obviously go up as her undecided and soft supporter (Stintz/Soknacki strategy voters) would definitely bump her number up. But they didn't take that into consideration.

That is how people get really tricked into thinking a race is close. Silver said Obama would win the electoral vote easily in this two elections. But the writers/pundits wanting to make it a "close race" will look at swing states and flip stat to the lesser vote candidate (McCain/Romney) to make it seem more even than it actually is. The odds of that happening is very slim. Just like the odds of Chow not getting any undecided/soft supporters and Ford getting it all is pretty slim

In the Ford thread there's been talk about can Ford compete if he comes clean. There was a poorly written article saying that 32% would vote consider to vote for Ford and compare it to Chow 33%

Nate Silver (guy who predicted that last couple of American elections and author signal and the noise) said numbers could be real but analysis is easy to BS. This is a perfect example of that.

They took Ford absolute ceiling (people who would consider voting for him) at 32%. So that 32% consists of undecided and soft supporters of other candidates and compare it to Chow 5-person percentage 33% and calling it close. But the thing is Chow 33% will obviously go up as her undecided and soft supporter (Stintz/Soknacki strategy voters) would definitely bump her number up. But they didn't take that into consideration.

That is how people get really tricked into thinking a race is close. Silver said Obama would win the electoral vote easily in this two elections. But the writers/pundits wanting to make it a "close race" will look at swing states and flip stat to the lesser vote candidate (McCain/Romney) to make it seem more even than it actually is. The odds of that happening is very slim. Just like the odds of Chow not getting any undecided/soft supporters and Ford getting it all is pretty slim

This far from election day, the only relevant number is the percentage of haters -- i.e., "I will never vote for candidate X" -- and Ford is off the charts in that category. That's the number that tells us he's finished.

How about we build whatever makes the most freaking sense.

But what makes sense?

Do we listen to Metrolinx (who according to Steve Munro) and Neptis wanted a grade separated transit line on Eglinton, or Steve Munro/TTC who wanted Eglinton on-street, or MTO/MetroLinx who wanted subway along SRT corridor, or TTC who wanted subway to Sheppeard.

Things will never be resolved because there always experts on different side of the fence. The key is to build what there is consensus for, then find compromise on other projects, and handle the controversial things last.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...dybutchow_now_top_campaign_theme_hepburn.html

Even if RF stays in, but shows zero chance of winning, some of this article may come true.

I really despise journalists who adopt campaign talking points verbatim without any critical thinking whatsoever. "Almost as polarizing as Ford". A "Tax and spend NDPer" who would "ignore the suburbs". These things are patently false. The article reads like it was written by the Tory campaign.

Neither Chow, nor any candidate for mayor is anywhere near as polarizing as Ford. He is in a league of his own here. People should stop trying to make this comparison happen. Left or right doesn't matter. Ford is not polarizing because he's right wing. He's polarizing because he made 90% of council his enemy. He has gone out of his way to antagonize certain groups within the city (LGBT, cyclists, various ethnic groups, etc). He has smoked crack, hung out with gang members, and is under investigation by police. He's not the right-wing version of Miller of Chow. Tory and Stintz are the right-wing versions of Miller and Chow.

In terms of tax and spending, let's look at the facts. Chow has proposed modest spending programs and suggested ways to pay for them. Tory has proposed an enormous, multi-billion dollar spending program with no way to pay for it. Who is the big spender here?

And finally, on the question of whether Chow would "ignore the suburbs", her signature program (the expanded bus service) is specifically aimed at the suburbs!! It's also the most popular program among all of the candidates (so much for being divisive).

Of course it's much easier for newspaper columnists writing on a deadline to regurgitate campaign talking points than to put any actual thought into an original analysis.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...dybutchow_now_top_campaign_theme_hepburn.html

Even if RF stays in, but shows zero chance of winning, some of this article may come true.

IF Ford drops out ...

IF Stintz drops out and ALL her support goes to Tory ...

IF Soknacki drops and ALL his support goes to Tory ...

Then Tory MIGHT win.

Ifs piled upon maybes, on top of perhapses. The Tory campaign couldn't have written a more flattering article if they had paid someone to do it. And, yes, what S&M said. Ford supporters curling their lips at Chow while shrugging off drug use, addiction, and gang association (sins they would rip an ideological foes to shreds for) are saying much more about about their hypocrisy than Chow.

Just as a follow up, I do think that John Tory has a very realistic chance of winning. He has a high favourability rating, which should be very encouraging for his campaign team. HOWEVER, this is mostly the product of running third place for so long. Just ask NDP leaders at the federal and provincial level how useful a high favourability rating is. When you're running third, people don't pay enough attention to find anything to dislike about you. If Tory moves decisively into first or second place, watch for his favourability/unfavourability ratings to start looking like Chow's.

Tory's current strategy seems to be to encourage people to see Ford as an extreme conservative and Chow as an equally extreme progressive, and hope that the electorate falls back on him as a safe choice. Of all the major candidates, Tory has provided the least concrete information on his platform (excluding Ford who has no platform) - presumably so as not to offend anyone. The flip side of this strategy is that he will inadvertently be cast as a milquetoast, dithering candidate who stands for nothing.

Back