News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I definitely agree with you on Tory, but I wonder about your take on Chow. I think her 'Plan B' if Ford resigns is pretty clear: she turns her guns on Tory. Given that all of the more right wing candidates have already been attacking her, I'm not sure Ford resigning is as big a deal for her, because I think a big chunk of Ford's support does not go immediately to Tory -- either it stays home, or it takes off the blinders and looks at all the other candidates with a fresh perspective.

I am sure she has a plan IF Ford resigns - but at the same time I don't think she would like that to happen given it's an inherently riskier route.

AoD

Ugh. http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mayoral-hopeful-john-tory-leading-the-race-new-poll-shows-1.1902994
Former Ontario PC Leader John Tory has climbed to the top of the leaderboard in Toronto’s mayoral race, a new poll suggests.
The Nanos Research survey -- which was conducted for the Ontario Convenience Stores Association -- shows that 39.1 per cent of respondents would vote for Tory.
Olivia Chow -- who was considered the frontrunner in a June 23 Forum Research Poll -- had the support of 32.7 per cent of respondents, while incumbent Rob Ford came in third with 21.7 per cent support.

"Rob Ford has little growth potential at this time given that he is not the second preference for many supporters of either top two contenders," the survey said. "His current support is higher among young men under 30 and lower among women."
The poll, which surveyed 600 Toronto residents between July 2 and July 5, also asked respondent what they felt is the most important electoral issue. The top-ranking issues are public transit (34.8%), high property taxes (17.1%), jobs and the local economy (16.4%) and traffic (14.1%).

The poll also asked respondents about:
The likelihood of voting on Oct. 27: A majority of the respondents (65.6%) said they intend to cast their ballots in the fall, while 21.9 per cent said they are “somewhat likely” to vote.

Who undecided voters are leaning towards: Among the respondents who said they are unsure of who they would vote for, 10 per cent indicated they are leaning towards Chow. Tory came in second with 5 per cent, followed by Ford and mayoral hopeful Karen Stintz, who both tied at 1 per cent.
The poll is considered accurate within plus or minus four percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mayoral-h...e-race-new-poll-shows-1.1902994#ixzz36p6NmVjY

A Forum poll just 3 days earlier had Chow 9 points above Tory. I guess we're going to be in a similar situation as the provincial election in that the polls were all over the place and the election results were a complete surprise.

Based on Chow's singular focus on Ford, I'd guess that their internal polling is closer to Forum's. However, I wonder if this poll will motivate Chow to start attacking Tory. Tory, I think, has benefited from the fact that he's been third place and the other candidates have been ignoring him.

A Forum poll just 3 days earlier had Chow 9 points above Tory. I guess we're going to be in a similar situation as the provincial election in that the polls were all over the place and the election results were a complete surprise.

Based on Chow's singular focus on Ford, I'd guess that their internal polling is closer to Forum's. However, I wonder if this poll will motivate Chow to start attacking Tory. Tory, I think, has benefited from the fact that he's been third place and the other candidates have been ignoring him.

We're four months away from the election. Even polls don't really matter for another two months. They're like the score of a ball game in the third inning right now. Although anything showing Fords support waning is gravy to me.

We're four months away from the election. Even polls don't really matter for another two months. They're like the score of a ball game in the third inning right now. Although anything showing Fords support waning is gravy to me.

Agree. Individual poll results don't mean much beyond their moment. It's better to look at the trends they produce over time, ie. whether someone is rising or falling. Also, I think the top line being reported on this poll is raw data rather than weighted data, which would account for the likelihood that respondents will actually vote. Still, very happy to see another result that puts Rob Ford out of range.

I'm certainly not against "congestion pricing" in certain situations, but I think Chow is ultimately right here. Toronto just doesn't have the alternatives in places at this point. It should be a serious discussion in 20 years though. On the plus side, one less issue for Ford to make into some massive distraction.

Great interview by Danial Dale!
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._toronto_wally_schwauss_says_death_looms.html

Meet longshots for mayor of Toronto: Wally Schwauss says death looms
Wally Schwauss, 62, wants to be Toronto’s mayor. He believes there is a conspiracy to “get rid of 90 per cent of the population of the world.”

By: Daniel Dale City Hall, Published on Tue Jul 08 2014

Once a week through the end of the 2014 mayoral election, we’ll introduce you to an obscure person who is vying to be Toronto’s chief magistrate.

There have been cheerier mayoral campaigns. Candidate Wally Schwauss, a resident of North York, believes most of us have been “marked for destruction.”

Do you think you have a realistic chance of being elected?

What I told Vladimir Putin: when you add that up, and you understand where this is all heading, and this one world government is coming at you, I’ve told them, you sir, we’re all individually earmarked for 90 per cent depopulation. Why would you want to submit and get on your knee and say OK I’ll take that mark of the beast which they want on your right hand or forehead . . .

Wait, sorry. What are you talking about?

OK, they have a 90 per cent depopulation program to depopulate the world by 90 per cent of the populace.

I’m sorry, who has this plan?

The 1 per cent factor or whoever puts together chemtrails or HAARP. You’ve heard of those things, haven’t you?

No. No, I haven’t.

Well, there’s such a thing as HAARP, and if you look it up, it’s a weather warfare program where they create droughts in countries, they create massive floods and weather warfare. And it’s well known. Their objective, with their 90 per cent depopulation program, is to get rid of 90 per cent of the population of the world. And there’s nothing that says you’re exempt or I’m exempt. So it’s obvious: in 2017, they want to start putting this mark on every person, that you can’t buy, sell or trade without this mark. So I’m asking you, there is this 90 per cent depopulation — why would you now want to submit and get on your knee and take the mark? Tell me why! You’re earmarked for destruction!

OK, but how does this have to do with the mayoral election?

How? Well, if we’re planning all these expansionary programs — you figure it out! Between 2017 and the time all this takes hold, maybe we won’t have the amount of populace in place to justify the work programs. Think about these things! These are politics that all affect locally, regionally, and on an entire cosmos, you understand, the entire environment — it affects everything on every level and walk of life. And I’m personally surprised, because you are media, that you weren’t that up on HAARP, that you’ve never heard of HAARP before. I didn’t cook this up!.

I'm certainly not against "congestion pricing" in certain situations, but I think Chow is ultimately right here. Toronto just doesn't have the alternatives in places at this point. It should be a serious discussion in 20 years though. On the plus side, one less issue for Ford to make into some massive distraction.
Congestion pricing doesn't cut congestion, but it is a good source of gov't rev. In London, UK the traffic levels today are the same or worse than when before they had the congestion charges.

Back