News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In theory I'm a John Tory supporter, but he's said a lot of things that I don't agree with, and lately Chow has been saying more and more things I like. If the election were today, I'd consider voting for her, which would have been very unlikely even a few months ago.

In theory I'm a John Tory supporter, but he's said a lot of things that I don't agree with, and lately Chow has been saying more and more things I like. If the election were today, I'd consider voting for her, which would have been very unlikely even a few months ago.

There are more than 2 candidates in the race. It seems like you are someone who would very easily be swayed over to Soknacki's camp should he begin polling higher.

About the Tory/Nanos poll. Nanos on their own have been pretty good. In the last provincial election they were spot on (but it was a bit strange they stopped giving poll results in may, and didn't give anything in the weeks before the election. Which is why their prediction was ignored by many, including myself) As for the 2010 Mayor election Nanos has Ford winning 44 to 41, compare it to Forum that had Ford winning 44 to 38. (Actually result Ford 47 to 36) Forum was a bit better that night.

As for this poll, something just doesn't seem to fit. I could understand Tory being closer than the Forum poll but such a wide spread, I have my suspicions . I always trust a media source (even the Sun) doing a more fare representation of poll numbers than a politician doing it. It could have been a push poll, or they could have done 5 and pick the anomaly that showed Tory with the best numbers.

Again I am not sure, but I take these numbers with some grain of salt. Well at least it wasn't Ipsos, I am guessing nobody is going to them for a bit.

I think Chow would be bad news for the city.

She is the type that is so politically correct that she is afraid to offend no one and hence nothing gets done. I think she would also be a polarizing figure. She is the "downtown leftist elite" that people outside the inner city are concerned about. You would go from a mayor who's policies are 100% suburban to the polar opposite, without his antics, violence, and addiction of course.

No matter who gets elected, it's all up hill from where you are now. That, however, doesn't mean it will be smooth sailing. Going to a more congenial deadlock is hardly progress and I think that is what you will get with Chow. I think Tory is the best bet. He really isn't ideological in either direction. He may technically be a Progressive Conservative but he is very much on the "progressive" side of that party.

Not only would he be far more effective bringing together the liberal and conservative voters but,probably more importantly in Toronto, the urban and suburban voters. Love or hate it, Toronto mega-city is here to stay so it's in everyone's interest to vote in a mayor that understands and respects both suburban and urban voters and their needs and concerns. Oliver Chow has none of those sensibilities.

Chow has also exhibited extreme incompetence on the transit file which is probably Torontonians biggest concern. Her concept of just increasing bus service by 10% is so grossly inadequate it's hard to fathom. Not only does that demonstrate a complete lack of understanding the city faces but also she has no fundamental understanding of what the city needs. Chow may feel all warm and fuzzy about biking to work or her 10 minute streetcar ride but that is a situation 90% Torontonians do not enjoy.

Toronto's regular bus service, although more express or B-Line type buses would be beneficial, is already great. Very few cities enjoy the extremely high frequency of Toronto's streetcars, subways, and buses. Most citizens of other cities would give their left nut to have half the frequency level Torontonians enjoy. You don't here people bitch about how long they have to wait for their transit cause the reality is that the waits are never very long. They complain about not getting on it or being packed in like a sardine but articulated buses could help there.

What Torontonians need is not more frequent local service but extensive rapid transit. A 10% increase in bus levels isn't going to get anyone, anywhere, any faster unlike Tory's doable, effective, and affordable at-grade subway system.

Does Stintz mayoral campaign deserve a second look?: Hepburn | Toronto Star

Karen Stintz fully realizes her campaign to become Toronto’s next mayor isn’t unfolding anywhere close to how she had hoped.

Since she first announced she would enter the race, Stintz has fallen — not risen — in opinion polls, her fundraising has proved harder than expected, several key campaign organizers have stepped aside and media coverage has declined.

Indeed, Stintz’s campaign — once so full of hope and promise — now seems hopelessly mired in the “also-ran†category, with some political commentators predicting she might soon quit the race.

Recent polls list the former TTC head’s support at just 4 to 6 per cent, down from 16 per cent in polls conducted late last year and far behind Olivia Chow, John Tory and incumbent mayor Rob Ford, the top three candidates.

It’s a harsh reality for the hard-working, energetic city councillor who has lots of experience, many good ideas and was once considered the darling of the right on city council.

Despite her stalled campaign, Stintz isn’t quitting — at least not yet.

In fact, Stintz is currently planning a major relaunch of her campaign after Labour Day, highlighted by the unveiling of her economic platform in a speech to key civic leaders, an aggressive social media program and a renewed push to better co-ordinate the efforts of her volunteers.

Her goal is to convince voters to at least give her a second look before the Oct. 27 election.

To prepare for the relaunch, Stintz is focusing her days this summer on raising money to fund her campaign, which so far is debt free, on getting her newly opened headquarters on Eglinton Avenue in shape, on recruiting more volunteers and on establishing business-style infrastructure needed for a serious mayoral bid.

Stintz is making the effort because she’s convinced the mayoral campaign is still very fluid and that there’s time for her to close the gap between herself and the three front-runners.

Back in the spring of 2013, Stintz made the decision to run. She recruited a veteran conservative campaign organizer, received help from a top speech coach, got advice from a team of leading policy advisers and launched an aggressive campaign to meet with senior community leaders.

Her campaign mantra was simple: keep city finances in check, keep taxes low and respect voters and the image of the city.

No one doubted her conservative credentials and she had gained a lot of friends because she was the first right-leaning councillor to stand up to Rob Ford, earning the now-disgraced mayor’s eternal hatred.

But Stintz’s candidacy suffered a near-fatal blow when John Tory entered the race. Tory is a moderate conservative like Stintz, but has bigger name recognition, more corporate connections and a greater ability to raise campaign funds.

Instantly, money dried up for Stintz, a critical element in an election where it will take some $1.4 million to run a serious campaign. At the same time, several veteran organizers left, forcing Stintz to scramble to find experienced staff to run the campaign’s day-to-day operations.

To this day, Tory remains Stintz’s biggest obstacle. When asked to outline the biggest difference between her and Tory, she replies bluntly: “I have a 10-year track record of success on council.â€

Stintz’s campaign also suffered when she fared poorly at a major speech before a packed crowd at the Toronto Region Board of Trade. She desperately needed to win over the audience, many of whom seemed ready to support her. But she was clearly nervous and delivered the speech in a manner that left the high-powered crowd with the impression she was trying too hard, was unprepared and not ready for prime time.

Without the support of big business and the media buzz surrounding it, Stintz started to disappear from the campaign discourse, losing out to Chow, Ford and Tory.

Does her bid deserve a second look?

Although critics suggest she is too brittle and too easy to anger, Stintz comes across in small meetings as charming, engaged and in command of the issues.

She has detailed ideas on easing congestion; for a downtown subway relief line from Queen to Pape Avenue, which she’d fund by selling off part of Toronto Hydro; for better integration of GO and the TTC; for a transportation czar and for ensuring neighbourhood playing fields aren’t sold off.

Also she deserves respect for refusing to be bullied by Ford and his brother Doug after they lashed out at her as a traitor for Ford’s subway plans despite having been appointed earlier by the mayor to head the TTC.

Ultimately, though, Stintz may be too far back at this stage in the campaign to mount a serious challenge to the front-runners. But with a lot of luck and a successful relaunch, Stintz might just get that second chance to get voters to listen to why she should be mayor.

"Atleast give her a second look" so when she drops out she can regain her seat on council. (Or launch herself into provincial or federal seats.)

"Atleast give her a second look" so when she drops out she can regain her seat on council. (Or launch herself into provincial or federal seats.)

I have to think that Stintz holds the record for being the first Toronto mayoral candidate to which the sitting mayor has publicly announced he'd like to, uhm... have relations with.

I never thought I'd ever be putting that sentence down.

I think Chow would be bad news for the city.

[yadda yadda]

Not only would he be far more effective bringing together the liberal and conservative voters but,probably more importantly in Toronto, the urban and suburban voters. Love or hate it, Toronto mega-city is here to stay so it's in everyone's interest to vote in a mayor that understands and respects both suburban and urban voters and their needs and concerns. Oliver Chow has none of those sensibilities.

Chow has also exhibited extreme incompetence on the transit file which is probably Torontonians biggest concern. Her concept of just increasing bus service by 10% is so grossly inadequate it's hard to fathom. Not only does that demonstrate a complete lack of understanding the city faces but also she has no fundamental understanding of what the city needs. Chow may feel all warm and fuzzy about biking to work or her 10 minute streetcar ride but that is a situation 90% Torontonians do not enjoy.

Toronto's regular bus service, although more express or B-Line type buses would be beneficial, is already great. Very few cities enjoy the extremely high frequency of Toronto's streetcars, subways, and buses. Most citizens of other cities would give their left nut to have half the frequency level Torontonians enjoy. You don't here people bitch about how long they have to wait for their transit cause the reality is that the waits are never very long. They complain about not getting on it or being packed in like a sardine but articulated buses could help there.

What Torontonians need is not more frequent local service but extensive rapid transit. A 10% increase in bus levels isn't going to get anyone, anywhere, any faster unlike Tory's doable, effective, and affordable at-grade subway system.

On one side of your mouth you claim that Chow doesn't get the suburbs. But you know what you see a lot more of in the suburbs than downtown? Buses.

What's wrong with promising a quick and easy 10% increase of the number of buses on the roads? Who do you think uses those buses? Ford and Stintz cut back the TTC's funding for surface routes, increasing overcrowding, eliminating service in some areas on evenings and weekends. You claim the wait is never long - but you've obviously not been on routes where you might have to wait for four or five buses just to squeeze on.

And you claim John Tory's surface subway is one route, a flip-flop on the Downtown Relief Line (which he called the Yonge Relief Line, which his line on a map won't provide much relief to, BTW). Tory and Kouvalis were busy mocking Chow's hesitation on building a subway, meanwhile they do the old bait-and-switch.

A huge, huge blow to her credibility was her amazing pirouette on the Scarb LRT/subway debate. If she had stopped saying, "This is not a flip-flop" and started saying, "Of course I changed my mind -- wouldn't you once you got funding?", it would have gone better. I still think is was the wrong thing to do, but at least her change was defensible. Her claiming it was not a flip-flop was just poor, poor political imaging.

I am a "liberal" by most standards, but I will not be voting for Olivia Chow. She failed to impress me at all during the first televised debate (debacle?), and I have no idea (record-wise) what makes her such a compelling choice. After suffering through a provincial NDP majority in Nova Scotia, I will stay far away from anything glowing orange. While I am all for joining hands and singing "Kumbaya", I honestly think their idealism often blinds them to reality.

Tory, by far, came across as the most "mayor-like" during that debate, and while I assume he is just looking for a place in the world like any other upper-class elite who is running away from having a real job, and he is probably just as phony and full of it as the rest, he at least conveys the ability to lead and be professional and competent. At the end of the day, that is a far cry from the absolute disgrace we have in office now.

Soknacki, while logical and seemingly bright, just does not have the personality component. He is probably a great guy, and a competent businessman, but his Mr. Spock-ish borderline-Aspie persona makes him hard to warm up to. I just can't picture him being a vibrant, public guy; he seems more like the type who prefers to retire to his study and read actuarial tables.

Stintz lost my interest the minute she strolled in to register as a candidate with a big, plastic grin on her face and her kids in tow. Seemed too deliberate and staged for my liking. All politicians are phonies, but some can hide it better than others. She wears it proudly.

Ford is...Ford. He and his brother, along with that other dipshiat clown Mammoliti, bring nothing but disgrace and a foul TMZ-like stench to City Hall. This city deserves better than those thugs and idiots.

so... who do you like?

sarah-thomson.jpg

(Just kidding. Leaning towards Tory or Soknacki at this stage. Can't believe it, but there it is.)

Attachments

• sarah-thomson.jpg
    sarah-thomson.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 413
Kouvalis' involvement with the Tory campaign alone is a very very good reason not to vote for him - you don't consort with those who empowered Rob Ford and his ilk through deception and deceit. To do so is a reaffirmation of his role as kingmaker of power in Toronto.

AoD

Kouvalis' involvement with the Tory campaign alone is a very very good reason not to vote for him - you don't consort with those who empowered Rob Ford and his ilk through deception and deceit. To do so is a reaffirmation of his role as kingmaker of power in Toronto.

AoD

I'm with NorthYorkEd in regards to Chow and I think more of the city is coming around to that conclusion too. Half the city considers her as unelectable as Ford to begin with and the euphoria surrounding Chow following her announcement of running will soon die down as well. Ford and Tory have succeeded in painting her as a 'tax-and-spend NDPer' whether it is true or not and she hasn't made any waves or announced policies that make her interesting and she doesn't have a charismatic personality to make up for it.

As for Tory, Kouvalis' involvement and his lack of support for Eglinton Connects kills any shot of him winning my vote. I don't think his DRL solution will prove popular in Toronto either(it is something that might appeal more to the 905).

The only candidate that I can be excited about is David Soknacki.

Back