News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

True, but public endorsement by OLP cabinet ministers, as opposed to regular MPPs is essentially an OLP endorsement.

Yeah, pretty much. Plus, out of the 3 major mayor candidates, the Grits would work best with John Tory at the helm of city hall as Ford is an untrustworthy mess of a mayor and Chow just wants to reopen old transit debates. It's the same deal with the federal Tories, but we have to remember that it's possible that within a year we could have a new federal Liberal government in charge. I seriously doubt a Prime Minister Justin Trudeau would work well with someone like Rob Ford or Olivia Chow, for that matter. I think Tory would work the absolute best person to work with the provincial and federal governments for the long run to lock down cash for major Toronto projects like the Relief Subway Line.

In terms of other endorsements for John Tory, I'd like to see Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly support Tory. Kelly is a man who, I think, has earn a lot of respect over the past year as a leader. I would be very, very pleased to see John Tory as Mayor and Norm Kelly continue on as Deputy Mayor. Tory and Kelly would make a terrific team at city hall.

Yeah, pretty much. Plus, out of the 3 major mayor candidates, the Grits would work best with John Tory at the helm of city hall as Ford is an untrustworthy mess of a mayor and Chow just wants to reopen old transit debates. It's the same deal with the federal Tories, but we have to remember that it's possible that within a year we could have a new federal Liberal government in charge. I seriously doubt a Prime Minister Justin Trudeau would work well with someone like Rob Ford or Olivia Chow, for that matter. I think Tory would work the absolute best person to work with the provincial and federal governments for the long run to lock down cash for major Toronto projects like the Relief Subway Line.

In terms of other endorsements for John Tory, I'd like to see Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly support Tory. Kelly is a man who, I think, has earn a lot of respect over the past year as a leader. I would be very, very pleased to see John Tory as Mayor and Norm Kelly continue on as Deputy Mayor. Tory and Kelly would make a terrific team at city hall.

StevieD -- I know you're in Tory's camp, and you have a right to be excited. But you're reaching more than a little to say your man is perfect for all possible scenarios -- Conservative Feds, Liberal Feds, small-c conservative Kelly (who supported many of Ford's sillier plans), Wynne's Liberals. Tory was the Opposition Leader against these Liberals. The Fed Lib/Con divide is huge -- they hate each other.

Tory could be a very good Mayor. And Kelly was fine as a stand-in until we get a proper Mayor. But he's yesterday's man. Let Tory put his own team together at City Hall if/when he gets elected and can assess the Councilors he needs to marshal.

I would plump for Parker as Speaker, though. Every time he's been in charge, he seems to have handled things skilfully, with grace and good humour.

Michael Gee's column today (in G&G) is pretty nicely written if you are a Tory supporter. Plus, the writing is designed to get under RoFo's very ample skin. The thrust of the ink is "Can Tory sustain the momentum?" with a side of "what a nice problem to have".

At this point I love anything that will really irritate RoFo.

StevieD -- I know you're in Tory's camp, and you have a right to be excited. But you're reaching more than a little to say your man is perfect for all possible scenarios -- Conservative Feds, Liberal Feds, small-c conservative Kelly (who supported many of Ford's sillier plans), Wynne's Liberals. Tory was the Opposition Leader against these Liberals. The Fed Lib/Con divide is huge -- they hate each other.

Tory could be a very good Mayor. And Kelly was fine as a stand-in until we get a proper Mayor. But he's yesterday's man. Let Tory put his own team together at City Hall if/when he gets elected and can assess the Councilors he needs to marshal.

I would plump for Parker as Speaker, though. Every time he's been in charge, he seems to have handled things skilfully, with grace and good humour.

I never once said Tory was the perfect candidate nor is he the perfect person to work with everyone. But out of the top 3, he is the best person to move Toronto forward, IMO. Plus, these Liberal MPPs must have a certain degree of respect for Tory as they are coming out to support him. Why is that? They want to work well with someone who can work with them. I don't think the Liberals and the Cons hate each other. It's all political but at least the Grits know how Tory works and they know he wants the municipal and provincial governments to move forward together.

In terms of Norm Kelly, I think Tory and Kelly would work well together as a team. Tory and Kelly are cut from the same cloth. Maybe that's over thinking what I want to see at city hall, but then again, the few people who thought Sokancki ever had a chance at becoming mayor over thought that too.

Triple R you do realize that Parker is not going to be reelected...the race is between David Sparrow who has the Toronto Labour Council endorsement and John Burnside who was endorsed in the last election by J Tory...
J Parker in his two terms has never had a large plurality (20%'06 and 31%'10)....the fact of the matter the only reason he won in 2010 was thru magnanimous act of Jane Pitfield deciding to run in Case Oates vacated Ward 29 rather than her previous Ward 26 seat where she won with majorities of 75%+

I never once said Tory was the perfect candidate nor is he the perfect person to work with everyone. But out of the top 3, he is the best person to move Toronto forward, IMO. Plus, these Liberal MPPs must have a certain degree of respect for Tory as they are coming out to support him. Why is that? They want to work well with someone who can work with them. I don't think the Liberals and the Cons hate each other. It's all political but at least the Grits know how Tory works and they know he wants the municipal and provincial governments to move forward together.

In terms of Norm Kelly, I think Tory and Kelly would work well together as a team. Tory and Kelly are cut from the same cloth. Maybe that's over thinking what I want to see at city hall, but then again, the few people who thought Sokancki ever had a chance at becoming mayor over thought that too.

Soknacki only will not win because Tory is in.

If Rob Ford actually worked outside of his family business, he'll been fired after one or two years. The key word is worked, not pushing papers around in your family business.

Hopefully, city council will be able to create some recall by-laws for future politicians at city hall, after the next election.

Tory is hardly the conservative flag bearer. First of all he's endorsed by the Ontario Liberals, http://globalnews.ca/news/1538469/mpp-brad-duguid-john-tory-talk-transit-in-scarborough/, and secondly, the Cons couldn't stomach him and wanted to kick him out so they could go far right with Hudak.

Tory is as right wing conservative as his old mentor Bill Davis, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Davis. Tory is a positive throwback to the days before far right conservatism took over the right.

Great debate. Thanks for posting the link. Ford looked like Chris Farley up there, totally out of place.

And Chow, her manner of speech is worse than Stintz.

He's been endorsed by some members of the OLP. He has not been endorsed by the OLP. In fact, I believe a Forum research poll showed that Chow has slightly more support among Liberal voters than Tory does.

The Liberals are the big tent party. Wynne herself probably supports Olivia but it's probably too late to save her now. The PCs, will I think their interim leader James Wilson said it best, it's time to be on the side of the people of Ontario.

Michael Gee's column today (in G&G) is pretty nicely written if you are a Tory supporter. Plus, the writing is designed to get under RoFo's very ample skin. The thrust of the ink is "Can Tory sustain the momentum?" with a side of "what a nice problem to have".

At this point I love anything that will really irritate RoFo.
The Globe and Mail has been backing Tory and their sister the Star has been backing chow. Bell Globemedia wins no matter what

I think Tory and Kelly would work well together as a team.

One thing's for sure, after this election, City staff will be elated not to have to always give separate briefings to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor because the two refuse to be in the same room at the same time. And the public should be happy that we're not paying staff to do the same thing twice everyday.

That said, I can think of many, many people who would make better deputy mayors than Kelly - even if we're just limiting ourselves to the right and centre of council (if we're talking about a Tory administration). Kelly was good as a calming, uncontroversial influence, but once the new term arrives, we actually need someone with more energy and ambition.

The Globe and Mail has been backing Tory and their sister the Star has been backing chow. Bell Globemedia wins no matter what

Umm... The Star is listed (TS.B on TSX), although the Trust still plays a moral role of some kind.

G&M is back to being Thomson majority owned.

I don't think you could ever have called them 'sisters' in any company-synergy or editorial-opinion sense, unlike the Southam papers or the Sun Media/Quebecor Weird Sisters.

TTG-2014_Save-the-Date.jpg

http://torontothegood.org/wp/

https://www.facebook.com/events/284485558401673/

Attachments

• TTG-2014_Save-the-Date.jpg
    TTG-2014_Save-the-Date.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 569
Triple R you do realize that Parker is not going to be reelected...the race is between David Sparrow who has the Toronto Labour Council endorsement and John Burnside who was endorsed in the last election by J Tory...
J Parker in his two terms has never had a large plurality (20%'06 and 31%'10)....the fact of the matter the only reason he won in 2010 was thru magnanimous act of Jane Pitfield deciding to run in Case Oates vacated Ward 29 rather than her previous Ward 26 seat where she won with majorities of 75%+

Uh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Remember that in 2006/2010, Parker carried more of a "former Mike Harris hack" stigma, compounded by his low FPTP pluralities--but in this term he's really come into his own, in large part through his way of deftly manoeuvring through the Ford madness. It's almost like there's less reason for John Tory to "disendorse" Parker now than in 2010...

Uh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Remember that in 2006/2010, Parker carried more of a "former Mike Harris hack" stigma, compounded by his low FPTP pluralities--but in this term he's really come into his own, in large part through his way of deftly manoeuvring through the Ford madness. It's almost like there's less reason for John Tory to "disendorse" Parker now than in 2010...

Only for those who follow CH and municipal politics though. I hope electors in his ward are also aware of what he did this term. He would be the perfect replacement for Nunziata.

Back