News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Has anyone asked Sarah Thomson the tough questions? Like why she has dreads?

I have to channel Dennis Hopper's character in 'Speed' here. When you're poor, having dreads is (often wrongly) the sign that you're a drop-out. When you're rich, exactly the same hairstyle is classified as 'eccentric'.

I couldn't stomach watching her video, but according to Goldsbie's twitter, she said the dreads were about "keeping it real" and "taking multiculturalism to the next level".

Seriously. A middle-aged, upper-class white woman with dreads = taking multiculturalism to the next level. I guess she's trying to out-level Rob Ford and his patois.

presuming 100% of Pantalone's votes had gone to Smitherman, he would have won by only 1,813 votes. In reality that wouldn't have occured, and even if just 2,000 of Pantalone's votes had gone to Ford instead you would have seen Ford still pull a win.
Ford would have almost certainly still won. He wouldn't have had quite the "mandate" from the people though if he had just scraped by.

In retrospect, there may be a silver lining to Ford winning in 2010... At least now he's mostly a spent force. If he had lost to Smitherman, he probably would be riding super high in the polls now and may have even been "the man to beat."

Last edited:
If Smitherman had won, we'd all be talking about extending the subway to Sherway Gardens.
Speaking of, this has always surprised me that it hasn't been a priority of the Ford's. At least getting the B-D (I mean the #2 line) to the 427 has some merit of sense (maybe that's why they aren't for it).

Seems like once she realized she was better off ditching the mayoralty bid she had a sort of 1/3-life crisis/Caribbean vacation/impulse to indulge her crazy side and, as Silence&Motion said, 'keep it real, etc.'.

Because nothing says keeping it real inna midtown/North Toronto stylee like dreads. Nuff respect.

Speaking of, this has always surprised me that it hasn't been a priority of the Ford's. At least getting the B-D (I mean the #2 line) to the 427 has some merit of sense (maybe that's why they aren't for it).

I think it's pretty clear why: there is no LRT planned there. He mainly supports subways as a way to stop LRT construction.

Right now, the only campaign that is scrabbling is Stintz's. Seriously, someone should deliver a copy of the *board* game to Baldauf, c/o The Karen Stintz for Mayor campaign, with that message.

Baldauf is riding the Stintz train about the same way Wormington is riding Ford's. They're hoping against hope their hero wins, because they know they're essentially unemployable if their hero doesn't win.

Speaking of which, what is Boutros (Stintz staff guy) doing? Is he running in Stintz' ward? If so, is it as a loyal soldier/placeholder until the inevitable happens. If so, it would be kind of funny if he figured he had a shot and refused to step aside.

Speaking of which, what is Boutros (Stintz staff guy) doing? Is he running in Stintz' ward? If so, is it as a loyal soldier/placeholder until the inevitable happens. If so, it would be kind of funny if he figured he had a shot and refused to step aside.

Although he did work for her during her time as TTC Chair, Boutros was never on Stintz's mayoral campaign staff; he stepped down as her Senior Adviser in February 2014. Anyway, he's now a candidate in Ward 16 as you suggest.

Is he a placeholder? Don't know. Certainly possible, although he is currently playing up his community credentials on his website, and it looks like a credible & sincere candidacy on the face of it. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, although I believe that he is strongly loyal to her. I can also believe that Stintz would consider filling his suddenly-vacated Ward 16 shoes as an acceptable Plan B.

So yes - given his loyalty and her rising political star (well, look at it from her point of view for a second!) it does seem quite likely that this is their backup plan, but that he is also serious about being Ward 16 Councillor and is hoping to be her primary Council ally when she is elected Mayor (no, I don't see that happening either).

Of course, if he does turn out to be acting as a placeholder for Stintz, I'd imagine he has no ambition to hold elected office in the future - that'd be Grade A attack fodder right there ("How can we be sure you're serious this time, when back in 2014 you were a fake candidate?" and so on).

Last edited:
Who can vote?

From the Toronto Who Can Vote website at this link:

Who Can Vote

You can vote in Toronto’s municipal election if you are:

• a Canadian citizen; and
  • at least 18 years old; and
  • a resident in the City of Toronto; or
  • a non-resident of the City of Toronto, but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City; and
  • not prohibited from voting under any law
Note
You may only vote once in the City of Toronto municipal election regardless of how many properties you own or rent within the City. You must vote in the ward where you live.
An owner or tenant of non-residential property, or their spouse, is not eligible to vote for School Board Trustee.
Terms you may need help understanding

• As a resident elector
    • Your residence is where you live. If you live in a municipality, then you are eligible to vote in that municipality's election. You are only allowed to have one residence.
  • As a non-resident elector
    • If you live in one municipality, and own or rent property in another municipality, you are eligible to vote in each municipality's election.
  • As the spouse of a non-resident elector
    • If your spouse qualifies as a non-resident elector in a municipality, then you can also vote in that municipality's election.
Students in Residence

There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your "home" municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.
Who Can Vote in a School Board Election

In order to vote in a school board election you must be 18 years of age or older, and a Canadian citizen. If you are a resident of municipality, you are eligible to vote for school board trustee. If you are the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner of tenant) of residential property in a municipality, you are eligible to vote for school trustee. Note: school boards can cover a large area of a municipality. You are only allowed to vote for the same school board once.
If you are eligible to vote in a municipality because you are the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner or tenant) of a commercial property there, you are not eligible to vote for school trustee.
There are four different kinds of school boards in Ontario
English-language public school board

This is the default - unless you are qualified to vote for a separate or French board, you will vote for the English public school board in your area.
English language separate school board

You must be Roman Catholic, and you must be a separate school board supporter or the spouse of a separate school board supporter. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.
French language public school board

You must be a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French language public school board.
French language separate school board

You must be a Roman Catholic and a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French separate school board. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.
"Supporter" refers to which school board the school portion of your property taxes goes to. The default is the public school system. In order to be a separate school supporter you must direct your taxes to the separate school system. Contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (1-866-296-6722) for more information.
Who Cannot Vote

You are prohibited from voting on voting day if you are:

• a person serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
  • a corporation
  • a person acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy
  • a person convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996
Identification is needed when you go to vote. Remember to bring:

• One piece of identification showing your name and qualifying (Toronto) address
Your voter information card cannot be used as a piece of identification. View the complete list of acceptable identification.

• If you do not have acceptable ID, but your name is on the voters' list you will be required to sign a Declaration of Identity to receive a ballot.
  • If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters' list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

It's this part which would allow 905ers to vote for Mayor which the residents in Toronto may not want:

• As a non-resident elector
    • If you live in one municipality, and own or rent property in another municipality, you are eligible to vote in each municipality's election.
  • As the spouse of a non-resident elector
    • If your spouse qualifies as a non-resident elector in a municipality, then you can also vote in that municipality's election.

All they need to vote is:

One piece of identification showing your name and qualifying (Toronto) address

So that investor who owns a condo in downtown Toronto, but lives in Milton or Hong Kong or Moscow could vote, as long as they are a Canadian citizen.

Last edited:

Back