News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Relaxed pot laws would hurt Canadians’ health, Stephen Harper says

Conservative leader doubles down on pot policy, despite government polling indicating only 13 per cent of Canadians support the status quo.

See link.

Wonder if Harper would create a acetaminophen law similar to the current pot laws, to protect us? From link:

But many people are completely unaware that Tylenol can be toxic to your liver, even at recommended doses. Taking too much acetaminophen can lead to liver failure, liver transplant and death. Acetaminophen is currently the leading cause of sudden liver failure in the U.S., as its toxic metabolites have been shown to kill liver cells. The drug is so toxic that as many as 80,000 people are rushed to the emergency room annually due to acetaminophen poisoning, and another 500-or-so end up dead from liver failure.

Getting a headache, Stephen? Take a Tylenol.

Looks like the poll is coming out Friday, and it sounds like the NDP have pulled ahead with a clear lead. (Likely confirming Forum's poll results where the NDP saw a huge spike)

That's great news. Usually a Liberal voter, but likely going NDP this time.

Last I heard, Libs up 3 pts.

Most survey respondents who claim to be first time/new voters, most says they will vote NDP. Only 13% says they will vote PC. PC's got a big core, but ain't getting any draws from the undecided

Looks like the poll is coming out Friday, and it sounds like the NDP have pulled ahead with a clear lead. (Likely confirming Forum's poll results where the NDP saw a huge spike)

The latest Forum Poll

NDP 34%
CPC 28%
LPC 27%

I have been running a poll aggregator using (almost) all the polls listed on Wikipedia going back to the beginning of May. The two exceptions were the two extreme outliers (the Mainstreet Research poll that had the CPC at 38%, and last week's Forum Research poll that had the NDP at 39%), which I did not include.

I weighted the polls linearly by sample size and adjusted for type, with telephone polls rated at 100% of sample size, IVR polls at 75% of sample size, and online polls at 50% of sample size. I have a 10% per day decay rate in the rating of each poll.

Screenshot%20-%2013_08_2015%20%2011_53_32%20AM_zpsasoh2jgv.jpg

edit
-- attached the image because it was not showing up for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 13_08_2015 , 11_53_32 AM.jpg
    Screenshot - 13_08_2015 , 11_53_32 AM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
The Duffy trial is getting very good...and bad for the Conservatives. Their spokesman is beyond stupid.

But how do you prove that you visited/didnt visit a certain region? The country stamp or Visa is the only thing customs will see when you get back, and the only information they will have to go on regarding where you visited.
This reminds me of my trip to Israel and Lebanon for business ten years ago or so. I flew Toronto to Israel on my Canadian passport. Did my work there for a week, then flew to Cyprus on my Canadian passport. Then flew to Beirut on my British passport, worked there for a few days, returned to Cyprus on my British passport, then back to Israel and Toronto with my Canadian passport. As far as Canada and Israel are concerned, I visited Israel and Cyprus.

So with today's announcement that the NDP would fund the Scarborough Subway, I went back to look through their private member's bill to see if the announcement aligned with what the NDP was originally calling for in their national transit strategy:

• The plan the NDP called for:

"(b) accomplish the following measures:

(i) provide a permanent investment plan to support public transit that places it at the centre of all Canadian cities and communities,

(ii) establish federal funding mechanisms to ensure the financial health of public transit systems, including the rehabilitation and renewal of existing infrastructure and the expanding capacity to respond to increasing public transit needs,

(iii) work together with provincial and municipal governments, as well as with transit authorities to provide sustainable, predictable and adequate funding,

(iv) provide a leadership role to align, on a national basis, public transit visions, planning goals, project justification, construction time frames and budgets,

(v) direct research to identify innovation in sustainable public transit technologies, to develop policy approaches to increase access to and use of public transit and to promote information sharing among public transit systems in Canada,

(vi) facilitate the shift to established, sustainable public transit technologies such as electrification, and

(vii) establish accountability measures to ensure that all governments work together to increase public transit use."

Today's announcement:

"When asked about the Scarborough subway on Thursday night, Chow said the NDP’s transit strategy would provide “predictable stable funding” of “at least $1.3 billion every year for 20 years.”

“Once you have that kind of cooperation with municipal government and predictable funding, then it’s up to municipalities and provinces to work out what kind of projects (go ahead),” she explained.

So yes to (i), kind of yes to (iii)
    No to (ii), (iv), (v), (vi), (vii)

Essentially, they've copied the Conservative plan for public transit.

NDP have not impressed me with their transit proposals provincially or federally for as long as I can remember.

And following our mayoral election, excuse me while I ignore Olivia Chow "transit critic" thoughts on their strategy.

All I care about on this issue is if the NDP delivers on their promise for a national transit funding strategy. That will have the realest short and long term benefit to Canada's transit funding, and be good commitment and precedent for future governments of all stripes.

Back