News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just doing a cursory Google search, in rush to get out door, and I'll search more later, but researching what to expect from a "Stay" in Ontario is not necessarily a slam-dunk. Whether or not intervenors can participate in a 'stay hearing' I'm not sure, trying to find that out, but meantime, this is very noteworthy, albeit the details differ from the case in question, not least that this is Federal, not Provincial, but the same Charter Rights are mentioned elsewhere in this case:

upload_2018-9-15_12-14-8.png

http://www.cavalluzzo.com/docs/defa...ed-june-23-2014-(c1079587xa0e3a).pdf?sfvrsn=0

After reading that, this reference, which I had discarded as being relevant, now is:

upload_2018-9-15_12-18-8.png

https://www.paliareroland.com/docs/...rventions-at-the-court-of-appeal.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I freely admit that I haven't fully digested the context, relevance and applicability to the imminent case(s) being brought by Ford et al, but the more I read, the more I see the courts leaning to *reason, common sense and good government*.

My bet is that the application for stay is declined...if 'intervenors' aren't allowed at stay hearings, then the Province's appeal hearing will. And on the basis of a pending appeal, the leave for stay might be even further in jeopardy. 'Intervenors' could/would include 'the Elders' who've spoken so vociferously, some of whom know the courts inside out (McMurtry immediately comes to mind).

More later.

Quick Addendum: Note that Section 33 cannot be applied "retroactively". But there's no such limit on court judgments. I surmise (prematurely, admittedly) that even if Ford et al win initially in getting a 'Stay of Judgment'...they'll lose in subsequent cases. Where this leaves Toronto's Civic Election, already in jeopardy, is a good question. The Courts do have the power to order remedial action, and Ford might become the victim of Unintended Consequences if the SCC is necessary to rule on the case. It won't be the way he expects, and could add remedy as a precedent for future cases. Note to mention that it could come from the Federal Courts.

The other Cons chomping at the bit to dilute those powers will not forget Dear Folk Ford. A BBQ will be held every year in cowpatch country, where they roast Ford Interiors in memoriam of the Great Oaf.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-15_12-14-8.png
    upload_2018-9-15_12-14-8.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 331
  • upload_2018-9-15_12-18-8.png
    upload_2018-9-15_12-18-8.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
To put it another way, Mulroney’s gender has nothing to do with her servile incompetence
Exactly.

Isn't there any other lawyer in the PC caucus that can serve as AG?

On another tack, weren't there some PC mpps that walked out instead of voting for the new bill? Who were they, these good men and women of conscience?

weren't there some PC mpps that walked out instead of voting for the new bill?
Nope. And they all stood and grovelled at the same time, an amazing feat of acrobatics and pretzel logic.

THAT is the point. Not even one abstained, let alone "walked out". Those who left were Opposition members ejected for protesting the Imposition of the Cudgel.
[...]
Ford said, before the legislature began sitting, that each member of the PC caucus was free to vote their conscience and were thereby released from the obligation of voting with the government.

However, every single PC MPP voted with the government as the bill passed first reading on Wednesday.

This is an important development, because the final vote on Bill 5 will be unique in the history of Ontario. It will be the first time that MPPs will be asked to support the invocation of section 33 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, commonly referred to as the “notwithstanding clause.”
This clause is our Constitution’s “break in case of emergency” failsafe, to be used under only the direst of circumstances, when a government (be it provincial or federal) can override the protections of our fundamental freedoms as Canadians to enact a law over the objections of the judiciary.

It’s a shocking development that such a vote appears to have been “whipped” after all. It says nothing good about this government’s care and concern about its responsibilities, or about the Premier’s word on anything of substance.
[...]
https://byblacks.com/main-menu-mobi...abuse-of-power-in-ontario-s-political-history

Nope. And they all stood and grovelled at the same time, an amazing feat of acrobatics and pretzel logic.

THAT is the point. Not even one abstained, let alone "walked out". Those who left were Opposition members ejected for protesting the Imposition of the Cudgel.

https://byblacks.com/main-menu-mobi...abuse-of-power-in-ontario-s-political-history
It’s even worse if none of the PC MPPs we’re whipped. If they all voted their conscience, this suggests they have little regard for our constitution.

Regardless, we obviously need a new AG.

It’s even worse if none of the PC MPPs we’re whipped. If they all voted their conscience, this suggests they have little regard for our constitution.

Regardless, we obviously need a new AG.
Exactly. It's beyond concerning. It's terrifying.

"First they came for the people down the street, then they came for my neighbours..."

Exactly. It's beyond concerning. It's terrifying.

"First they came for the people down the street, then they came for my neighbours..."
I assume the next use of the NWC will be to counter the court’s striking down the government’s move on sex Ed. I wonder how many times our AG is willing to accept its use.

IDK, the AG job was supposed to be a stepping stone to Federal politics and the PM’s chair. Mulroney can’t afford to fall on the sword for DoFo again vs. the Constitution.
She's already finished! In politics and badly scarred in her prior life.

She ran a *charity* fer Gawdsakes...and now the reality is exposed for most to see. She's not even a clever social climber. Her camera time looked awful, like Daddy had caught her smoking behind the shed, and she was denying everything.

She's toast...so's virtually anyone in that Party....correction...*Branch of the Party*! What you're witnessing is the slow but sure break-up of Cons as a Cohesive Force. Exhibit A: Maximum Burn y'eh? Will he ever form a government? Highly unlikely, but he's the first schism to 'drain the swamp' of reactionary knee-jerks.

Hopefully out of this, the Conservatives at Centre will re-emerge. Ford will self-destruct, the question is not if, it's when? And it might be on Tuesday. If not, shortly after. And then watch the zombies turn on each other.

Fit this with what we're now seeing:

upload_2018-9-15_19-59-32.png

[...]
http://www.shoeboxproject.com/home.html

Oh yeah, she's just "One of the Folks, The People"...not "One of the Elites"...nosirreee...

Specifically chosen from the TorSun for maximal impact:
Following the PC leadership debate last week, candidate Caroline Mulroney was asked about her desire to be premier for all the people while putting her children in a private school many Ontarians can’t afford.

She said: “We made the best choice that we could for our family and that’s all I’ll say about that.”

That is a weak, insufficient and unprepared answer from someone claiming the ability to lead.
[...]
AGAR: Mulroney's private school response just weak | Toronto Sun

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-15_19-59-32.png
    upload_2018-9-15_19-59-32.png
    607.5 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
To put it another way, Mulroney’s gender has nothing to do with her servile incompetence

Precisely. That was the nature of my comment calling her a whore. Men can be whores too, and they often are.

It says more about the unflattering origin of those erroneous assumptions criticizing my comment as being sexist or misogynist than anything I intended.

IDK, the AG job was supposed to be a stepping stone to Federal politics and the PM’s chair. Mulroney can’t afford to fall on the sword for DoFo again vs. the Constitution.
I think one could argue that her spinelessness over this has ruled her out from a Federal move or much of a political future after DoFo.

Back