News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've given some of these issues you guys are discussing on the general nature of politics and the appeal of the Fords some thought over the years. I still think you guys are missing something. I believe that politics is fundamentally about dealing with vested interests where more than one interest conflicts. Humans are also social creatures so we assign value to and form identity around shared vested interests.

Here's where it gets personal so I mean no offense but failure to see why people would vote for say Doug Ford or pursue interests that you don't agree with is a failure of your own ability to a) understand yourself and your own vested interests b) understand the vested interests of others.

When I say that I'm not saying those things are easy. No, they are fundamental. In an entire human life time you would be hard pressed to understand a) yourself b) is mostly left to a few of histories greatest sages

The other thing is that the universe has a distain for wasted energy. Why that is important is that it implies that people are not wasting energy supporting things that you don't. It's not spurious behaviour.

So on the topic of educational requirement for leadership it would follow that if you care about this it's because you are defending your vested interest. If politicians get elected who are not academically inclined or gifted it tells you that a) that is not a requirement of leadership b) other people do not share your vested interest or shared value of having educated leaders c) the vested interest of those who don't care about educated leaders is not spurious.

Personally I have advanced degrees and share the desire for leaders to be educated and knowledgeable. That's my "tribe". But one thing I've realized on the soccer pitch is that I'm not a team player. This is atypical behaviour. I care about fact and am a servant to meaning (and annoyingly being "right"). Every team has it's douche guy, it's captain, it's yes man etc. I'm not the guy whose going to defend my team douche guy when he sucker kicks another player in the back.

Yeah. But on reflection I think I have a lot of respect for Wynne. Early in her tenure I felt disappointed by what I perceived to be her cunning. But over time, especially when listening to her in pressers and debates, I came to feel that this is someone who is highly intelligent and reflective. I think she attempted to run a more activist Liberal gov't, and I think that takes courage.

To be frank, I think she has been treated rather unfairly by Ontarians. Doug Ford isn't qualified to carry her briefcase.

That all being said, I do too feel that it was time for a chance. I think the anti-Wynne sentiment was in fact the confluence of extreme voters' extreme fatigue with the Liberals and pushback against a female premier who had the guts to push some more progressive policies. I also think misogyny played a non-trivial role.
Oh I never claimed whether it was a fair character assassination.

Everyone I know who had to work with Wynne directly said she is a lovely person, very educated and intelligent, even a fun personality, on top of genuinely caring a great deal about the province.

But this side of Wynne was not shown to the general public. I remember my first impression of her was soured by that terrible reddit AMA where she skipped all the questions and answered only soft questions sent by her staffers on 1-day old accounts about jogging. That sort of fakeness characterized everything about her general public persona and is what I believe voters began to associate her with.

But this side of Wynne was not shown to the general public. I remember my first impression of her was soured by that terrible reddit AMA where she skipped all the questions and answered only soft questions sent by her staffers on 1-day old accounts about jogging. That sort of fakeness characterized everything about her general public persona and is what I believe voters began to associate her with.

Ouch. I've never heard that one. That's rough.

Hey All... I have been watching this thread and the discussion and I have to jump in. I am the campaign manager for Keegan Henry -Mathieu who was running in Ward 7 against Mammolitti. With the change to the 25 Wards Keegan will not be running and will announce his withdrawal sometime this week. He will be putting his support behind Anthony Peruzza. I have been in Ward 7 with Keegan and recently with Anthony knocking thousands of doors and going to events since March of this year.

I have noticed a lot of discussion about Ward 7 and Tiffany ford and her chances. In my opinion and I just want to be clear , Tiffany Ford has zero chance in winning ward 7. Her campaign is non-existent in the ward, her canvassing is very limited and she does not seem to have many people with her. Tiffany is a prime example of the difference between Social media and what’s actually happening on the ground. She is dominating online I will give her that but that does not translate to anything on the ground especially in an area like ward 7. However, look at Anthony's campaign his team is out all day 7 days a week with a least 10-15 canvassers on every canvass. I have never seen any team like it. I really believe Anthony will beat Mammo but it’s going to be tough and we need all progressives in this city to get behind him financially and with volunteering,

Deanne Sgro is a challenge no doubt but I believe Anthony has what it takes to differentiate himself from Mammo and Deanne. Don’t forget Deanne got beaten in the provincial election recently. It frustrates me that Anthony does not get the attention off the downtown people as Tiffany is getting. Look at his voting record he has been voting progressively all his career. He can win and rid this city of Mammo once and for all.

Hey All... I have been watching this thread and the discussion and I have to jump in. I am the campaign manager for Keegan Henry -Mathieu who was running in Ward 7 against Mammolitti. With the change to the 25 Wards Keegan will not be running and will announce his withdrawal sometime this week. He will be putting his support behind Anthony Peruzza. I have been in Ward 7 with Keegan and recently with Anthony knocking thousands of doors and going to events since March of this year.

I have noticed a lot of discussion about Ward 7 and Tiffany ford and her chances. In my opinion and I just want to be clear , Tiffany Ford has zero chance in winning ward 7. Her campaign is non-existent in the ward, her canvassing is very limited and she does not seem to have many people with her. Tiffany is a prime example of the difference between Social media and what’s actually happening on the ground. She is dominating online I will give her that but that does not translate to anything on the ground especially in an area like ward 7. However, look at Anthony's campaign his team is out all day 7 days a week with a least 10-15 canvassers on every canvass. I have never seen any team like it. I really believe Anthony will beat Mammo but it’s going to be tough and we need all progressives in this city to get behind him financially and with volunteering,

Deanne Sgro is a challenge no doubt but I believe Anthony has what it takes to differentiate himself from Mammo and Deanne. Don’t forget Deanne got beaten in the provincial election recently. It frustrates me that Anthony does not get the attention off the downtown people as Tiffany is getting. Look at his voting record he has been voting progressively all his career. He can win and rid this city of Mammo once and for all.

Thanks Kevin for your insight. Keegan's a great guy, I went to middle school with him. Is there any indication of whether the local NDP base, including the newly elected MPP, will endorse Peruzza over Ford? Personally, I've not been very impressed with Ford, based on some of her interviews and social media presence. However, she does have some high profile supporters, including a who's who of supporters during her campaign launch, which makes me think she has a good shot. Also, I can't help but wonder if the Italian voting bloc splits three ways between Sgro, Peruzza and Mammo, giving an advantage to Ford.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin for your insight. Is there any indication of whether the local NDP base, including the newly elected MPP, will endorse Peruzza over Ford? Personally, I've not been very impressed with Ford, based on some of her interviews and social media presence. However, she does have some high profile supporters, including a who's who of supporters during her campaign launch, which makes me think she has a good shot. Also, I can't help but wonder if the Italian voting bloc splits three ways between Sgro, Peruzza and Mammo, giving an advantage to Ford.

Hey not sure if you know the but the local NDP MPP was Anthony Peruzzas Executive Assistant. In fact Tom Rakoveic is a huge part of Anthonys team he is constantly canvassing with him. Anthony has huge NDP support in that area.

Just a few comments on your points as I understand that people who are not aware of the nitty gritty up there dont know.

1. All Tiffany supporters are all downtown I don't know if you have noticed she has nobody high profile supporting her in that area.
2. Her high profile supporters do not resonate at all with the residents up in Ward 7. I would hasten to bet a 100 dollars that if I went on knocked on 20 doors right now any of them would know Kristyn wong Tam for example. However, I understand Kristyns support of Tiffany is more to do with getting more women elected which I completely understand.
3. People dont realise that but Italians do not dominate that area anymore. In fact the second and third most spoken language after Italian up there is Spanish and Vietnamese. Anthony has huge support in the latin
American community up there.
4. People again are given too much credence to the Italian Block it is not that powerful. Anthony has huge Italian Support but he diversifys that with other support. Mammo's support is 90% other Italians.
5. Sgro is not well liked because most people there dont like nepotism so the idea she is just coatailing on her mother (Judy Sgros) name does not resonate well. As was proven by the provincial election.
6. The biggest misconception is about Jane/Finch. The truth is Jane and Finch is a tiny part of Ward 7. There are way bigger vote rich areas like Humber Sunmit, Humberlee etc.

Hey not sure if you know the but the local NDP MPP was Anthony Peruzzas Executive Assistant. In fact Tom Rakoveic is a huge part of Anthonys team he is constantly canvassing with him. Anthony has huge NDP support in that area.

Just a few comments on your points as I understand that people who are not aware of the nitty gritty up there dont know.

1. All Tiffany supporters are all downtown I don't know if you have noticed she has nobody high profile supporting her in that area.
2. Her high profile supporters do not resonate at all with the residents up in Ward 7. I would hasten to bet a 100 dollars that if I went on knocked on 20 doors right now any of them would know Kristyn wong Tam for example. However, I understand Kristyns support of Tiffany is more to do with getting more women elected which I completely understand.

This sounds similar to Andray Domise's campaign four years ago. No one expected him to defeat Ford, but his horrendous third place showing suggested that he was better at fundraising, media interviews and social media than he was at having a good 'ground game.'

This sounds similar to Andray Domise's campaign four years ago. No one expected him to defeat Ford, but his horrendous third place showing suggested that he was better at media interviews and social media than he was at having a good 'ground game.'

While I can't speak for what's going on on the ground in Humber, one difference is that Tiffany Ford is an elected official in the area.

Back