News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's because being from South America does not necessarily mean one isn't white.

Hey, @Thorns_Embrace ....what's going on? :p

I mean, my grams was a Turkish gyppo, does that mean I'm not white? Rhetorical question....Turks are white too....though, gyppos not so much.
Isn't this where the whole visible minority concept falls apart? I mean if Palacio is not a minority, are Mexicans, because they are usually are considered in that statistic. Are we judging from literal skintone? because some middle eastern people are lighter skinned than Ana Bailao,

A little overlooked something from the trustee races: in TCDSB Ward 9, Iola Fortino actually managed 4th place out of 7 candidates and 12.99% (the winner got 23.77%). *That's* kind of scary (even if only 1262 votes)

Isn't this where the whole visible minority concept falls apart? I mean if Palacio is not a minority, are Mexicans, because they are usually are considered in that statistic. Are we judging from literal skintone? because some middle eastern people are lighter skinned than Ana Bailao,

Caucasian vs everybody, innit?

People start overly complicating things.

Some Mexicans are Caucasian. I thought we all knew this.

I mean, take a look at Brasilian politics, for example. People there always go on about how non-whites are poorly treated. This, of course means there are white Brasilians.

Another example might be the fact that Turkic people are Caucasian.

Or, wait....white people are visible minorities in South Africa. Uh oh.

I don't think anyone has ever defined the term "visible minority" to any degree of simplicity, to be fair.

It's one of those politicised terms that should probably die.

So is Perks, in my experience.

"Hi, I'm the 'progressive' candidate in this ward. We need to get 'them' to pay more so we can build more affordable housing."

As said to my face at my door during the campaign.

Shit, maybe this shallow politics is a west end thing, eh?

He also got re-elected so it looks like we can add him to the list of councillors playing people for stupid (correctly, one could argue).

My biggest complaint about him was that he has been a relentless ADVOCATE for social housing yet has barely gotten any built in the last 12 years. Any chance there was for some negotiation in a new development he opted for lower density as opposed to try to go for higher density in exchange for more community benefits. I think if it wasnt for the endorsement from Doucette he would have gotten much less votes. For one of the strong voices for the progressives he did not do so well with 56% of the voters voting against him.

I was sort of wondering about Filion. He was slow off the mark with signs, and seemed a bit sleepwalk/autopilot in his un-retirement (and forfeited a Star endorsement in the process). It was just his luck that he had way too many opponents of varying degrees of viability splitting the opposition...
He was the incumbent and should have had the advantage. Winning with slightly above 30% is abysmal - especially when being up against new faces.

So, for those keeping track on the incumbency poll, the winning number is 4 new faces on council:

- Mike Colle* in Ward 6 (*with a bullet - replaced his son, and he was also a former councillor)
- Brad Bradford in Ward 19 (open seat)
- Cynthia Lai in Ward 23 (open seat)
- Jennifer McKelvie in Ward 25 (defeated Shan)

Shelley Carroll won in Ward 17, but that doesn’t count because she had the seat before resigning to run provincially.

In all a bit disappointing that in the only two incumbent-contested seats, one was won by a relative of the incumbent and the other defeated a by-election winner.

Congrats to @DSC, @Videodrome and @Thorns_Embrace for getting it right!

Not only is Mike Colle a "relative of the incumbent" he was also the MPP for the area comprised of the exact same boundaries - and he only narrowly lost in June.

My biggest complaint about him was that he has been a relentless ADVOCATE for social housing yet has barely gotten any built in the last 12 years. Any chance there was for some negotiation in a new development he opted for lower density as opposed to try to go for higher density in exchange for more community benefits. I think if it wasnt for the endorsement from Doucette he would have gotten much less votes. For one of the strong voices for the progressives he did not do so well with 56% of the voters voting against him.

Also, I don't know where he gets off saying stupid shit like "get them to pay more so we can build affordable housing". Who the hell are "they"? Sowing class divisions for political gain. Gtfo.
He's as ideologically constrained and shallow as they come.
Can't believe my neighbours went for his gimmicks and hollow rhetoric again.

No. I'd consider Ainslie and Bailão swing votes, rather than being on Council's right. They both voted against the mayor on some issues, and I think help to moderate council. I strongly suspect Mike Colle to be a swing vote.

I would agree that Bradford and McKelvie are unknowns, but I expect to both to end up in the swing vote category, supporting things like the Scarborough Subway and Gardiner East (as they're important to Tory) but not eager to support things like major budget cuts, and will support at least some cycling infrastructure. Cynthia Lai will most likely be a right-wing councillor, but a reasonable one, like Thompson or Robinson, rather than a Holyday or Karygiannis.

Last edited:
I see the clean-up and removal of signs on public property is going very slowly. I mean, there's always that one sign somehow missed and still there a year later, but, there's some downtown corners today still littered with two dozen signs. I have to wonder if some of the fringe candidates who spent all they had on signs will ghost on them and just hope they City comes along and removes them anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see signs everywhere still. One guy whose name escapes me must have spent a fortune on them!

Yeah, I see signs everywhere still. One guy whose name escapes me must have spent a fortune on them!
There's a candidate named Tim Gordanier who came in seventh in Ward 13 and has signs all along King Street East.

I wonder if other similar candidates with signs everywhere but no support got thousands of dollars in donations from friends and family because of the 75% refund from the City and then dumped all of that money into signs which will now simply be trashed. It does raise a question that should be explored about how that policy is working properly, and/or if it is possibly funding vanity campaigns in some places.

Last edited:
No. I'd consider Ainslie and Bailão swing votes, rather than being on Council's right. They both voted against the mayor on some issues, and I think help to moderate council. I strongly suspect Mike Colle to be a swing vote.

I would agree that Bradford and McKelvie are unknowns, but I expect to both to end up in the swing vote category, supporting things like the Scarborough Subway and Gardiner East (as they're important to Tory) but not eager to support things like major budget cuts, and will support at least some cycling infrastructure. Cynthia Lai will most likely be a right-wing councillor, but a reasonable one, like Thompson or Robinson, rather than a Holyday or Karygiannis.

Does Tory move in either direction as a result of the new council?

Back