News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's a pretty fair assessment, I reckon.

So, let's look at the point about the opposition to development and his inability to work with developers to induce benefits to the ward. That right there, whilst going on about raising taxes from land owners for the sole purpose of paying for "affordable" (he didn't define what this meant, but I can guess it didn't include people like me) housing which would lead to increased rents for the working class middle such as myself, is part of why I discounted him....hey, @bobbob911

He literally told me that property taxes should be higher for the sole purpose of paying to build more "affordable" housing. That's it. Fair and inclusive city? Nah, I don't think he's necessarily about that because a fair and inclusive city, by definition, doesn't foist burdens on one socio-economic segment of the citizenry in order to better the lot of another.
Can and should landowners pay more? Sure, I'm not against that in principle. But don't pretend to me that building more shitty council estates is going to help everyone find a more affordable place to live when those same landlords who are asked to pay more will pass the cost on to their tenants. We'll end up with more council estates and less people like me. I mean, sure, maybe that's all fine and good, if that's what we want, but don't call it a fair and inclusive city.
. ;)

I'm not a subscriber to the notion that mass RGI (rent-geared-to-income) housing is desirable plan for resolving housing and income inequality issues. (though would oppose any reductions in the stock)

I think fixing the income side is more the key, along w/some measures to contain housing cost, and encourage new supply.

Though, I don't have a problem w/government owned or funded housing being a part of the solution. However, I look to many European cities where such housing is often aimed simply to be non-profit and really targets the middle class or lower-middle-income earners, as opposed to being focused on the poor. Key in that, is that the projects can be commercially or bond-financed if they aim to break even. Enough new supply at any income level, should push rents down at least somewhat.

To be clear, the poor need society's help, I just think the focus should be on fixing their income, rather than treating a symptom of said income's inadequacy.

All of that said, I don't disagree w/Perks on raising property taxes subject to the following statements.
Single-family homes are under-taxed in Toronto based on both GTA and broad North American norms.

By contrast, multi-residential rentals are taxes much more highly, just over double the rate of single-family homes, based on market value.

Were those rates evened out, it would reduce 'typical' rents by about $125 a month, in my estimation. Though, that only applies to older rental stock and not new buildings or condos already taxed at the lower rate.

Of course, I would prefer to roughly even rates out over 2-3 years, rather than a large-scale (above inflation) rise.

I do favour a modest rise (above inflation) as well as implementing road tolls on the DVP/Gardiner and raising Permit and On-Street Parking rates in order to fund some new/improved programs as well as bring the City
closer to financial health.

Maybe if he wore a Gentle Giant t-shirt, you'd be convinced ;-)

I don't even know what that is.

I'd be impressed if he started with "I'm Gord Perks, and I think the war on drugs is a fraud perpetrated on science and logic" or "I'm Gord Perks, and I'm the candidate in this ward who thinks we need more beaches" or simply "Up the Reds!".

....maybe then.

One thing I've learned over the years is that when a riding or ward goes to one end of the spectrum is has a hard time going to the other. Unless something happens i.e. candidates align with Ford only to have Ford go on a racist and anti-semetic tirade people will not switch ends.

Ridings *and* wards? Remember that a lot of ridings/wards are differently inclined at different levels of gov't--Etobicoke North, for instance, is still pretty solid federal Liberal--and compared to the more historically class-divided realm of Britain, there's been a *lot* of fluidity left-right-centre in Ontario and much of Canada.

With the right kind of candidacy, a Ford-free Etobicoke North can still swing leftward, municipally speaking. And of course, Mammo looks poised to fall...

Duuuude, their comments were pure rubbish in the way that they didn't make any sense and were just a strange exercise in sort-of-lame insult generation.

Wtf is a libtard? Most of the people they disparage with that term aren't even liberals, ffs.

It is Liberal and retard mixed together. I think it is a stupid term though.

Last edited:
I'm not a subscriber to the notion that mass RGI (rent-geared-to-income) housing is desirable plan for resolving housing and income inequality issues. (though would oppose any reductions in the stock)

I think fixing the income side is more the key, along w/some measures to contain housing cost, and encourage new supply.

Though, I don't have a problem w/government owned or funded housing being a part of the solution. However, I look to many European cities where such housing is often aimed simply to be non-profit and really targets the middle class or lower-middle-income earners, as opposed to being focused on the poor. Key in that, is that the projects can be commercially or bond-financed if they aim to break even. Enough new supply at any income level, should push rents down at least somewhat.

To be clear, the poor need society's help, I just think the focus should be on fixing their income, rather than treating a symptom of said income's inadequacy.

All of that said, I don't disagree w/Perks on raising property taxes subject to the following statements.
Single-family homes are under-taxed in Toronto based on both GTA and broad North American norms.

By contrast, multi-residential rentals are taxes much more highly, just over double the rate of single-family homes, based on market value.

Were those rates evened out, it would reduce 'typical' rents by about $125 a month, in my estimation. Though, that only applies to older rental stock and not new buildings or condos already taxed at the lower rate.

Of course, I would prefer to roughly even rates out over 2-3 years, rather than a large-scale (above inflation) rise.

I do favour a modest rise (above inflation) as well as implementing road tolls on the DVP/Gardiner and raising Permit and On-Street Parking rates in order to fund some new/improved programs as well as bring the City
closer to financial health.

Yeah, see, this is a more nuanced view and is quite different from the cheap sloganeering that I got at the door which basically sounded like he was trying to be Robin Hood: "Take from the rich and give to the poor".

I'm not against raising property taxes. I'm against the idea that we're going to be "raising taxes on landowners so that we can build more affordable housing". Apart from that being a very ill-defined idea (what does "affordable" mean?), I don't believe that raising property taxes on existing landlords wouldn't negatively impact people like me. In fact, if the increases were at all significant, it would have a direct negative impact on people like me in that our rents would go up to cover any significant and sudden rises in tax levels, as allowed by law.

Co

It is Liberal and retard mixed together. I think it is a stupid term though.

I just think it's an indication of how Sun commenters have slid into crazytown that there's such a block consensus on behalf of *Faith Goldy*--like, a quarter century ago it might have been on behalf of the Reform Party, a half decade ago on behalf of Ford Nation, but now...*this*?!? Oh well, at least they've outed themselves on *how* much beyond the pale they are...

I'm getting these annoying Kevin Vuong ads in my Facebook feed where he stands in front of the Gardiner onramp at Spadina saying nothing is being done.
About how Cressy is doing nothing about traffic, transit, or whatever else is annoying him today.

While I agree with almost 100% of Joe Cressy’s council votes, Cressy has been a terrible city councillor. He’s notorious for not responding to constituent emails and phone calls. He’s solely focused on citywide priorities and neglects local issues.

Regarding that video, Cressy ignored the need for a crosswalk at Spadina and Lake Shore for the first 3.5 years of his term despite it being brought up at City Place meetings where Joe was present. His proposed solution was to build a pedestrian bridge over Spadina as if it were an expressway, not a city street.

6 months ago, Kevin Vuong made a video to pressure Cressy to building the crosswalk, and after mounting media pressure, with 3 weeks before the election, Cressy promised a sidewalk there (finally) with work to start last week, but still broke that promise. Vuong’s ad is highlighting that issue and that broken promise. It’s a legitimate campaign issue and I’m glad something is finally being done as a result of that pressure.

Last edited:
So, let's look at the point about the opposition to development and his inability to work with developers to induce benefits to the ward. That right there, whilst going on about raising taxes from land owners for the sole purpose of paying for "affordable" (he didn't define what this meant, but I can guess it didn't include people like me) housing which would lead to increased rents for the working class middle such as myself, is part of why I discounted him....hey, @bobbob911

Does a single councilor practically have any ability to approve or deny development in their Ward? Is Ward 14 an oasis in the sea of condos going up in the city? (Asking honestly, I don't have a clue) If I look at density data from the city Ward 14 is comparable to Ward 18 and 19, and significantly more dense than Ward 13.

I tend to think that any attempt to build affordable housing will just be a drop in the bucket. Has any growing city in the world ever solved thier affordability problem?

Last edited:
So Toronto has released the census data based on the 25 ward structure. It can be found here.
https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...talogue/#7d109f12-1623-858f-f56d-9c312946ed40

And I have come to the conclusion that in terms of "voter parity" in 2018 this ward structure is much more fair. I am sorry for not caring about future populations that may or may not come to pass. I am of the the belief that effective representation should be had now and should be fixed with future censuses and changes, not be way off on election day and then basically hope that someday that they will come into parity. The largest ward and the smallest ward the population difference is only 20,000 in 2016. This may increase slightly in 2018 but it is still only about a 30,000 person in the most extreme example difference in ward sizes that average over 100,000 people.

These are the figures for the terrible 47 ward model that we almost had:
https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...oods-communities/ward-profiles/47-ward-model/
There are some wards with double the population of others. Ward 21 had only 28,665 people in 2016!!! while ward 41 has over 70,000(this may not even be the largest difference in the city). notice that the difference between these two wards is over 40,00 people in wards with an average size of less than 60,000. The two wards is actually larger in terms of total population compared to the 25 ward model. I mean people can call what Ford did gerrymandering but as someone living in a large ward under the 47 ward I cannot help but feel that the ward boundary review was rigged to favor certain areas of the city to have more council votes from certain boroughs. Someone will argue that the 25 wards favors the suburbs but it favors the suburbs LESS than the 47 ward model favors downtown. The supposed bias will be fixed in the 2026 election anyway while if we stayed with 47 the downtown would have been overrepresented till 2030 at the earliest

Also, the 2026 election will be done on a new census based on actual 2024 numbers, not projections like the ward boundary review was done on.

What are people's thoughts on Kevin Vuong's chances against Cressy in Spadina-Fort York? He has a strong social media presence and claims to have visited tens of thousands of doors. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he can overtake Cressy who has a high profile and incumbency.

However, the fact that Han Dong declined to run in the new ward system suggests that there may have been push back from local Liberals who think Vuong is a better candidate.

I can add a personal verification to that. Kevin has never stopped campaigning — even through the whole Bill 5 saga. While everyone was scrambling with Doug Ford’s meddling and court challenges, and while Cressy and Layton were arguing over who would register where, Kevin knocked on close to 30,000 doors. Kevin Vuong is bar none the hardest working candidate in this election. I’ve not seen anything like it.

Now, as you pointed out, that doesn’t guarantee anything. Defeating an incumbent is very difficult but it’s not impossible. Cressy is not very well liked in the south part of his old ward 20, which is why he wanted to run in Uni-Rose. To his advantage, Kevin has a high visibility on King West (KingStreetEats), in City Place and South Core. Cressy still has the advantage of using city resources to get his name out there, an open mic with the news media and the NDP machine. This is definitely a David v Goliath fight, no doubt about it. But I do see a path for Vuong to defeat Cressy.

I can add a personal verification to that. Kevin has never stopped campaigning — even through the whole Bill 5 saga. While everyone was scrambling with Doug Ford’s meddling and court challenges, and while Cressy and Layton were arguing over who would register where, Kevin knocked on close to 30,000 doors. Kevin Vuong is bar none the hardest working candidate in this election. I’ve not seen anything like it.

Now, as you pointed out, that doesn’t guarantee anything. Defeating an incumbent is very difficult but it’s not impossible. Cressy is not very well liked in the south part of his old ward 20, which is why he wanted to run in Uni-Rose. To his advantage, Kevin has a high visibility on King West (KingStreetEats), in City Place and South Core. Cressy still has the advantage of using city resources to get his name out there, an open mic with the news media and the NDP machine. This is definitely a David v Goliath fight, no doubt about it. But I do see a path for Vuong to defeat Cressy.
Is there anger over the safe injection sites or do you think its just a few people blowing smoke?

Back