News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Since people were talking about the sex ed wedge issue and the question of to what extent social issues rather than economics influence Torontonians to vote conservative (I remember some social conservatives in Toronto's communities also protesting same sex marriage when it was about to be legalized at the turn of the 2000s, but then you can argue economic issues might be more important for say Ford Nation voters), I wonder if the relative importance of social issues is any more a bigger deal in Toronto's immigrant communities versus evangelicals in smaller cities/towns of Ontario outside the GTA's sphere of influence.

Also, why is it that Toronto's immigrant communities especially in the 416 (it seems like conservatives in the 905 are assumed to be more fiscal/economic) seem to be especially seen or portrayed as especially SoCon relative to other "liberal" cities. Are immigrants, especially recent ones, to Vancouver or Montreal or for that matter American cities like NYC etc. any less likely to be SoCons? I know worries of socially conservative or religious conservative immigrants from places like the Middle East are seen as more a bogeyman among European cities like London, Paris etc. but not so much North America. Or is it just that I'm following news of it more so it's more salient to me than SoCons in other urban areas?

Last edited:
Since people were talking about the sex ed wedge issue and the question of to what extent social issues rather than economics influence Torontonians to vote conservative (I remember some social conservatives in Toronto's communities also protesting same sex marriage when it was about to be legalized at the turn of the 2000s, but then you can argue economic issues might be more important for say Ford Nation voters), I wonder if the relative importance of social issues is any more a bigger deal in Toronto's immigrant communities versus evangelicals in smaller cities/towns outside the GTA's sphere of influence.

Also, why is it that Toronto's immigrant communities seem to be especially seen or portrayed as especially SoCon relative to other "liberal" cities. Are immigrants, especially recent ones, to Vancouver or Montreal or for that matter American cities like NYC etc. any less likely to be SoCons? I know worries of socially conservative or religious conservative immigrants from places like the Middle East is seen as more a bogeyman among European cities like London, Paris etc. but not so much North America. Or is it just that I'm following news of it more so it's more salient to me than SoCons in other urban areas?

The US Republicans are much more openly racist and appeal to a more nativist base than Canadian Conservatives do.

One example of "minority social conservatism" was Prop 8 in California.

Also is it just me or does it seem like "minority" social conservatism in the GTA seems to be associated with the 416 more than the 905, which is more associated with fiscal conservatism? For example, the sex ed protest seems to be associated with East York (the school in Thorncliffe Park) based on when I first heard of it and the new anti-sex ed party came out of Scarborough-Rouge River. On the other hand, somewhere further out like Markham strikes me as a place where most conservative voters do so on fiscal issues.

Last edited:
Most of these bigoted comments are coming from evangelicals and homophobic immigrants who are from countries where being openly gay is illegal, and is punished by death.
and you are trying to say these immigrants have money to afford a computer, internet service, know english or have the time from perhaps 2 jobs to go online to make posts?

Right now, I think Glen Murray in TC and Eric Hoskins in St. Paul's are safe. Probably Mike Colle in Eg-Law and Kathleen Wynne herself in DVW due to their personal popularity.

But if we see something like the 2011 election result federally in 2018 (basically a 45/25/25 split in Ontario), don't be surprised to see the Liberal fortress in Toronto crumble.

Also is it just me or does it seem like "minority" social conservatism in the GTA seems to be associated with the 416 more than the 905, which is more associated with fiscal conservatism? For example, the sex ed protest seems to be associated with East York (the school in Thorncliffe Park) based on when I first heard of it and the new anti-sex ed party came out of Scarborough-Rouge River. On the other hand, somewhere further out like Markham strikes me as a place where most conservative voters do so on fiscal issues.

Jagmeet Singh, who represents the largest Sikh population in the province, seemed to feel compelled to pander to the anti-sex ed constituency in his riding.

Markham in the 905 is one area I'd associate with fiscal conservatism more than social conservatism yet nearby Scarborough-Rouge River still shows anti sex-ed was an issue.

It is possible that different immigrant groups are conservative on different issues.

The older generations of Chinese immigrants in Markham and elsewhere are probably more fiscally conservative than socially conservative. While the opposite might be true for other immigrant populations coming with religious backgrounds.

I think what @Palma was trying to say (correct me if I am wrong) is that there are plenty of reasons to not vote PC post-Harris, that we do not need to go back to Harris.

I respectfully disagree, because the candidates that the PC keep electing as their leader bear some resemblance to the politics and policies of Harris. Many PC candidates and advisors are from the Harris era. The impact of his "Common Sense Revolution" is longlasting.

Last edited:
I think the Liberal's actions continue to make it seem like they're out of touch (too many new laws and superficial fixes), and as long as bad headlines continue to dominate the media, the Liberals' ratings will continue to languish.

I think the Liberal's actions continue to make it seem like they're out of touch (too many new laws and superficial fixes), and as long as bad headlines continue to dominate the media, the Liberals' ratings will continue to languish.

Yeah something like the radar looks good on paper but on paper it's going to piss off a lot of people.

Back