News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So,are we totally discounting Horvath?

Yes, unless she somehow announces a revamp of her party's platform to something that would actually be competitive outside of Hamilton and Windsor.

I can only assume that the current ONDP leadership has lost any motivation to form government, and seeks only to serve the niche issues of its shrinking white rural/rust belt base. If there was ever a time for them to do something dynamic, it would be now. The Liberals are highly unpopular, and the PCs are a mess. This is their chance! And yet, crickets.

If they continue to ignore issues relevant to the 905/GTA, they might as well dissolve as a party. I do like that they keep the Liberals to the left in order to absorb swing voters.... maybe the ONDP does serve a purpose.

You said it best.

Absolutely Wynne has the win here.

Well how about that? I was right about something!

She just needs to sit back and let all of this play out. Now, I am not a big fan of her or the Liberals, but the PC's are a dumpster fire and the NDP has never been a party that I supported.

Re Caroline Mulroney, the one thing that's certain however many players are in the race is that she'll have the Globe & Mail's support.

Another question (and a bit of a Trump echo): will DoFo lay claim to the SoCon electorate? After all, RoFo supported Monte McNaughton last time...

I would vote for a sock puppet over Wynne but could I Hold my nose and vote for Doug Ford? I think the answer is no.

That would be a sad match-up for Ontario. With a recession likely looming in the next 4 years and zero fiscal room thanks to Wynne here are your options in that match up: Have Doug Ford be at the helm choosing priorities or Premier Wynne feeding her compassion ego with hundreds of billion of soon-to-be Ontario junk bonds?

That’s real pull the temple down kind of stuff.

Re Caroline Mulroney, the one thing that's certain however many players are in the race is that she'll have the Globe & Mail's support..
It's funny how history has moved on from the negative association of the Brian Mulroney years. This was the man that took a majority government down to two seats (yes, they tossed in Kim Campbell to take the glass cliff), the man who sparked the foundation of the Bloc Quebecois, Stephen Harper, and Reform, the man who took bags of cash in the Airbus scandal, etc, etc. But times heals and gives perspective.

I've always believes that you get no blame or credit for the actions of those before you, but the lack of public negative name association is noteworthy. Of course plenty of folks hated Trudeau's father.

Don't underestimate the power of loud mouth populism to fire up people that feel unrepresented by the average speaking Politician. Its been happening for decades globally and from what i hear these residents care more that the Liberals go down. The more simple he keep it to attack the Liberals the more some will love him and get some excited to vote again.

I wont underestimate the Liberals here, but weve just witnessed so many similar populist scenarios occur globally now from the UK to the US, and as Torontonians we should know better than anyone not to shrug it off.

Doug should start his own party. Call it Folks Party.

Doug should start his own party. Call it Folks Party.
I've just had a chance to catch up on the latest news, and Fedeli is now claiming not to be running. A smart move, he had no chance of winning anyway, so at least he can remain a man of honour (within the parameters being publicly stated, with blood dripping from the daggers) and "help rebuild the party".

But the trick is getting elected. He's savvy enough to realize he wouldn't win, and Mulroney is savvy enough to keep her ammunition dry. She *can* win, but the party will be nothing like it now is.

Fedeli's job is to try and save what's left of the present order, but for what? It won't get elected until they have a viable, *recognizable* and dynamic new leader. And I can't think of anyone better than Doug Ford...to drive votes to Mulroney.

Ford's new ad slogan: Go Further (Away)
http://www.autonews.com/article/20120124/RETAIL03/120129953/fords-new-ad-slogan:-go-further

Mulroney as the leader is good news for Andrea Horwath. Mulrony comes off as elitist. The labour/blue collar that was supportive of Brown will likely shift over to Horwath (particularly in the South west and the North).

I think as much we find the Fords a joke, he would likely have great appeal in the 905 with his populist message as evidenced by the past two mayoral elections.
Also Remember Wynne is deeply unpopular and you sort of have the seeds of Hillary vs Trump redux lol

As much as I dislike the Fords, I think he would put up a serious challenge to Wynne as he would run a very loud and angry campaign that will drive far more attention to him then any Tory candidate could ever dream of.

Of course, this relies on the fact the NDP remain strong and Wynne Remains unpopular.

But I dont see how Ford against Wynne equals an automatic Wynne victory...

I'm just wondering when Ford will go away. Hopefully 2 straight losses (one at the Provincial level, and one Municipal level) will allow us to rid him from his non-sense talk once and for all.

Robert Benzie
@robertbenzie

The @TorontoStar has learned that staff in @VictorFedeli's office are cooperating with @HamiltonPolice in the ongoing criminal fraud and forgery probe of unnamed @OntarioPCParty operatives. #onpoli

The PC party is in trouble.

I'm just wondering when Ford will go away. Hopefully 2 straight losses (one at the Provincial level, and one Municipal level) will allow us to rid him from his non-sense talk once and for all.

He won't stop running for things.

That's why Fedeli is trying to get out all of a sudden. Three days ago he was adamant about remaining leader through the election, today he decides he's leaving asap. The things he must have become privy to must be ridiculously grimy for him to want to walk away after trying to sort it out.

The PC party is in trouble.

That's why Fedeli is trying to get out all of a sudden. Three days ago he was adamant about remaining leader through the election, today he decides he's leaving asap. The things he must have become privy to must be ridiculously grimy for him to want to walk away after trying to sort it out.
That does tie things together. Absolutely. Watch that name "Velshi" very closely. What was he doing 'back at the office' when he'd already 'quit' on Brown?

As to thinking 905ers would vote for Ford as opposed to an "elitist"...Well that's very odd, wouldn't you say? Who voted for Trudeau then?

You're reading this wrong. Sure Ford will pick-up some losers, so he can declare himself their 'loser' in opposition. So 'elitists' are out and idiots are 'in'?

Good luck on that one. The real question I have is how big are the boots Mulroney has to bring to re-establish order out of chaos. Fedeli has already blown his wad it seems. Mulroney can bring, and will bring, some real heavyweights back to the party.

Look, this isn't about pleasing the present Con Caucus. It's about taking votes from Wynne to win. And Mulroney has all the right stuff to do it. Can she play it in a matter of months? If there's nothing left of the present sorry lot, I can't see why not.

@Videodrome
@robertbenzie

The @TorontoStar has learned that staff in @VictorFedeli's office are cooperating with @HamiltonPolice in the ongoing criminal fraud and forgery probe of unnamed @OntarioPCParty operatives. #onpoli
Trying to trace this for authenticity and reference. I'm not a 'Twitter type'.

Anyone have anything more substantive than this?

Addendum:
OK, I'm now seeing it on Twitter.

Last edited:

Back