News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For those commenting on the sex ed curriculum, have you read it? I doubt Doug has. I doubt many parents have. I don’t have kids that age, so I haven’t, but before trashing or praising it, people really should read it.

In that spirit, here is the summary as posted by the Ministry of Education

https://www.ontario.ca/page/sex-education-ontario#section-0

FWIW

This is the Star's take on common fears about the curriculum.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ts-against-the-ontario-sex-ed-curriculum.html

I might offer up that while I largely support the curriculum; and in fact think its greatest deficiencies may not be covering more, sooner, I understand in some measure why opposition like this brews.

Its that many of the vocal proponents of the new curriculum are also open advocates of a more change in the future and do use language not present in the curriculum in their own offerings or position papers.

While people (and organizations) should be free in a democratic society to advocate for the change they support; there is a need to not be ignorant of how that may be seen by others.

The actual curriculum changes are fairly modest, and would, I suspect, be agreeable to most. But if you have people who advocate for that also advocating more change and using terms that could
be reasonably described as academic-speak. (CIS-normative, I'm looking at you) LOL.....

You have to expect a reaction that won't be entirely favourable. The underlying idea or purpose the terms may be just fine w/a majority, but you need to express it in plain language and illustrate a logical purpose to discussing it that will be widely appreciated.

as someone who spends time weekly in church I think the real problem is that some people think that the premier whom is lesbian is trying to force her beliefs on the people. Now I think that is absolutely crazy but this is some quick reasoning by some people. I think if a straight man were to change the material there wouldn't have been nearly the uproar. I really do wonder sometimes if we as a society are subconsciously more sexist than we think, and or homophobic than we think. I know as Canadians we like to view ourselves as open and accepting but I would like to be very clear that this is not simply church people who think this way because church numbers are down yet Trump got elected, Rob got elected, and soon Doug may get elected. Perhaps a lot of hate towards Wynne is not things that she did (BTW the NDP and PCs were going to cancel that gas plant as well) but that she is a woman, and more irritating to some, a lesbian woman.

BTW there are things that I have not liked in our Liberal Government... I was going to list them but thats a whole other debate.

As a fan and lifetime student of history, my kids’ knowledge of history is poor and rampant with revisionism, despite their 90+ grades. But we must trust our schools to teach the basics. The issue on sex ed is that Wynne promised to consult, and did not. She did not promise to consult on math or history.
When I went to school here we learned things like Fort Henry was a POW camp in WWI and the government was working hard to bring education to the north. Now our kids learn that the "POWs" were actually innocent Ukrainian Canadians and that we practiced widespread ethnic cleansing via residential schools.

We also had a huge debate over whether high school students should learn about condoms during the height of the AIDS crisis.

The current health curriculum spends a lot of time talking about personal responsibility, respecting others and letting people live their own lives without fear of recrimination. How is that not 100% consistent with conservative principles?

Don't fall into the lazy trap of thinking 1) what you learned wasn't already the subject of constant revision or 2) that updating our worldview is somehow bad.

Do we also ask parents for their input on how to teach math, language, history, etc?
Why is sex ed different?

Not that it is the issue of the campaign, but the question is - what will consultation achieve? Some parents will believe that the kids must be taught everything at the earliest possibility; others will believe they don't - if the topic is to be taught at all. So, in other words, the complains about consultation is a red herring for a choice that isn't the preferred one.

AoD

Sex Ed is not a huge issue. It's an issue for some. And they are already voting PC anyway. I hope the Liberals don't jump on the bandwagon of attacking Ford on Sex Ed. Would come off as diversion from talking about economic issues.

This also plays right into the PC's hands. "We don't oppose better Sex Education. We just wanted parents to be consulted. Why do you dislike parental input?"

My 2¢

As much as I want to be an optimist there are big concerns for me when it comes to the “ethno-vote.” As someone who is a visible minority (or should that be visible majority?), I’ve sensed that the ethno-vote will be a very strong influencer on the upcoming election. Based on my personal daily experience (parents and community) most ethno-voters can be very narrow minded, ignorant of everything that doesn’t affect them personally and believe in the idea that government should be meritocratic over progressive. A lot believe in Darwinism’s everyone for themselves or in my community’s case Confucianism; they come from countries that are democratically deficient, have no minimum wage or social support does not exist, this is where my parents and many Hong Kong Chinese stand. If we disregard the social side of things, the biggest objective will always come down to money and saving. It’s an unfortunate mentality but this is the reality as people who think like this never had social support to start off with.

Something that I don’t think is ever addressed is that there’s a lot of media filtration (censorship?) that happens with ethnic media and news. Going on the example of Hong Kong/Cantonese news in the GTA, most news is sourced from right-of-centre Canadian news sources for local news. Immediately that skews the voters’ view and opinions. My parents despite having lived in Ontario for more than 30 years, 20 of them in Thornhill and 10 in Lawrence Heights still have a very conservative outlook on everything. Things that don’t agree with their outlook such as LGBT issues are always swept under the carpet and never spoken about. Sex-ed is another, it’s never spoken if it does not pertain immediately to them or family. Debt is a big no-no and every time provincial finances are brought up on the news there’s always a big fuss about how it is spend, spend and spend. Yes, my parents dislike Kathleen Wynne but I’ve come around to understand their view as disinformed, politically-deficient, just outright ignorant and with a tinge of homophobia. I didn’t include this earlier but there’s a lot of hearsay in Chinese culture which further compounds issues.

My 2¢

As much as I want to be an optimist there are big concerns for me when it comes to the “ethno-vote.” As someone who is a visible minority (or should that be visible majority?), I’ve sensed that the ethno-vote will be a very strong influencer on the upcoming election. Based on my personal daily experience (parents and community) most ethno-voters can be very narrow minded, ignorant of everything that doesn’t affect them personally and believe in the idea that government should be meritocratic over progressive. A lot believe in Darwinism’s everyone for themselves or in my community’s case Confucianism; they come from countries that are democratically deficient, have no minimum wage or social support does not exist, this is where my parents and many Hong Kong Chinese stand. If we disregard the social side of things, the biggest objective will always come down to money and saving. It’s an unfortunate mentality but this is the reality as people who think like this never had social support to start off with.

Something that I don’t think is ever addressed is that there’s a lot of media filtration (censorship?) that happens with ethnic media and news. Going on the example of Hong Kong/Cantonese news in the GTA, most news is sourced from right-of-centre Canadian news sources for local news. Immediately that skews the voters’ view and opinions. My parents despite having lived in Ontario for more than 30 years, 20 of them in Thornhill and 10 in Lawrence Heights still have a very conservative outlook on everything. Things that don’t agree with their outlook such as LGBT issues are always swept under the carpet and never spoken about. Sex-ed is another, it’s never spoken if it does not pertain immediately to them or family. Debt is a big no-no and every time provincial finances are brought up on the news there’s always a big fuss about how it is spend, spend and spend. Yes, my parents dislike Kathleen Wynne but I’ve come around to understand their view as disinformed, politically-deficient, just outright ignorant and with a tinge of homophobia. I didn’t include this earlier but there’s a lot of hearsay in Chinese culture which further compounds issues.
Very much agree with this as a second generation and mixed race Canadian. I should add another thing I've noted: in the vast majority of cases (based on people I went to school with), children of more conservative immigrants become more liberal than their parents—sometimes much more so.

Last edited:
This report suggests KW could lose her own riding but I doubt it. I'm sure this based on a "universal swing" model based on previous PC vote.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/03/13/wynne-election-poll/

I think people are underestimating Ford in more ‘upper crust’ Toryish ridings like Don Valley West, Eglinton-Bathurst and Willowdale. This reminds me of the U.S. election where Clinton tried to pry ‘moderate Republicans’ away from Trump in a call for professionalism and decency. However, those conservative upper middle class voters in Pennsylvania and Ohio suburbs still voted for Trump. At the end of the day, she was a Clinton, and she was a Democrat.

Much like Rob Ford – who won Eglinton-Bathurst, Willowdale and the northern half of Don Valley West in 2010 – I think Doug can do the same in June.

Rob Ford never won Bathurst-Eglinton.

Also, there was a major drop in the GOP vote in upscale districts in Connecticut, Northern Virginia and so on. That being said, losing upscale voters for more working class ones was a trade-off that proved to be worth it.

DVW is like a Conservative-Remain riding in the UK, Doug appeals more to Labour-Leave.

Back