News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why should be believe anything they promise? Where is that high speed rail they promised in the last election?

Well, this sort of thing is fairly clear cut with no lead time (unless it is an after the election sort of promise) post announcement, unlike HSR. Given the purpose of this cut (i.e. reelection), it happening afterward is just about useless.

AoD

This is the writing on the wall folks, throw all the stones you like at Minan-Wong, it just shows how easy you are to be played.
Minnan-Wong leaves City Council, defeats Kathleen Wynne due to overall despisal of her character, and Liberals still edge a minority government meaning Minnan-Wong's involvement in QP is non-existent.

This is the scenario I am gunning for now. :p

Would be aided by Wynne stepping aside from party leadership.

I like how everyone is so math illiterate in Ontario that we think adding 8% to 17% equals 25%.

I like how everyone is so math illiterate in Ontario that we think adding 8% to 17% equals 25%.
lol...I work with algebra, ratios and percentiles all the time, I have to working with electronics. The percentiles being expressed are added arithmetically, not multiplied, which is a compound function as in the tax on tax in HST and others. The claim is correct, at least in methodology. The claim may be total BS in terms of effective savings or not.

Last edited:
Disappointing. I was hoping for a rate cut of at least 50%
The move comes after the average residential hydro bill has jumped‎ from $91 a month in 2005 to $156 last year, threatening the governing Liberals' re-election chances on June 7, 2018.

A rate cut of 50% (50% reduction) will produce - very, very generally speaking, given we are working with average bills here - an average bill that is below the 2005 rate (The $156 represents a 71% increase from 2005 to 2018, 4.2% compounded per annum). An inflationary rate of 2% per annum gives $118 instead.

AoD

Last edited:
Well, this sort of thing is fairly clear cut with no lead time (unless it is an after the election sort of promise) post announcement, unlike HSR. Given the purpose of this cut (i.e. reelection), it happening afterward is just about useless.

AoD
There are reports of Collenette, Waldo and Elvis hanging out together at the Electric Circus...getting transformed in a magnetic sort of way. Penny's name is popping up all over Google search, David none to be seen.

David: Call your wife. She misses you....and people keep asking about that HSR report. Is the bank account safe?

If he's elected, he has one vote, whether his party forms the government or not. Speaking of math, how does that compute to being "non-existent involvement"?
I was being a tad hyperbolic.

If Liberals form government, Minnan-Wong will have little influence. If PCs form government, then I could see Minnan-Wong receiving a cabinet post.

Man, now I am thinking more about the implications, DMW could do a lot of damage in an important cabinet post. Could you imagine if he was made Minister of Transportation?

I think if Wynne even manages to get a minority government at this point, she'll be the Tom Brady of Canadian politics.

I still think she should step down and let someone with no baggage lead the party.

I was being a tad hyperbolic.

If Liberals form government, Minnan-Wong will have little influence. If PCs form government, then I could see Minnan-Wong receiving a cabinet post.

Man, now I am thinking more about the implications, DMW could do a lot of damage in an important cabinet post. Could you imagine if he was made Minister of Transportation?
Certainly not my first choice, but compared to who the Brown Shirts would install? He may not be the wright man for the job, but he's not the Wong man either.

Edit to Add: Btw: Keep meaning to comment on your pic of "Count Frightenstein":

upload_2017-3-2_12-35-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-2_12-35-26.png
    upload_2017-3-2_12-35-26.png
    296.9 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
A bit of a reality check- industrial rate cuts are as necessary as residential cuts (special reminder that Quebec's manufacturing sector is undergoing a boom at the moment). Furthermore, the province will pay an extra $25 billion over the next 30 years- no real savings are to be had, the whole thing is an act of rearranging debt and payments.
Excluded from Ontario’s hydro cuts, firms say they can’t compete

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne unveiled a new hydro plan Thursday that targets lower residential rates but provides only modest relief to industrial customers who say soaring electricity costs are driving business out of the province.

Through legislation it intends to pass before summer, the provincial Liberal government will cut residential rates by 25 per cent, including a previously announced 8-per-cent reduction. The plan also promises deep price cuts to rural and remote customers who faced dramatic increases over the past decade, and will boost subsidies for low-income households.

Business customers will not benefit from reduced rates but will instead see an expanded rebate program for those that can shift their consumption to off-peak hours. Companies in Northern Ontario and rural areas will also benefit from a reduction in delivery charges that have driven up bills in less-populated regions.

Faced with a political backlash over soaring power bills, Ms. Wynne said the plan would deliver the largest reduction in electricity costs in the province’s history.

To pay for the near-term relief, the province will add $25-billion in interest costs over 30 years as a result of stretching out financing for existing generation projects. It will also shift $2.5-billion over three years in costs from ratepayers to the general provincial account.

“Electricity rates in Ontario will come down significantly, they’re going to stay down and everyone will benefit,” Ms. Wynne said in a news conference.

The Premier faces an election in spring 2018, and rising electricity bills have been cited as a major factor in her slumping support in opinion polls. With Thursday’s plan, opposition critics complained the Liberal government is taking on significant debt that will be left for future taxpayers and ratepayers to cover.

“They’re making our kids and grandkids pay for the mistakes they’ve made on the energy file over the last eight years,” Conservative MPP Todd Smith said. “There’s a massive price to what they’re doing and they’re not addressing the root cause as to why electricity prices are as high as they are.”

In an interview, Ms. Wynne compared the effort to extending the amortization period of a mortgage to bring down monthly payments. Though critics note the assets in this case – electric generating stations – belong to the developers not the province.

“The accusation that we’re spreading this over more than one generation is absolutely true,” Ms. Wynne said in a telephone interview. “That’s the point of what we’re doing – we’re asking a future generation to help pay for an asset that they’re actually going to use.”

Not every customer will benefit from the 25-per-cent rate reduction. Industrial users say there is little in the strategy to deal with higher rates that make it difficult for them to compete with firms in neighbouring states.

Byron Nelson, president of Leland Industries Inc., a Toronto-based manufacturer of bolts, screws and other fasteners, said his company is scouting for a location to open a new factory, but will build the manufacturing facility in Illinois, Ohio or some other Midwest state. Ontario’s high hydro rates are driving that decision, Mr. Nelson said.

“We will invest no longer in Ontario,” he said Thursday, about a year after completing an expansion of Leland’s Toronto manufacturing operations. Electricity costs in the U.S. states Mr. Nelson is considering are about half those in Ontario, he said, and are even lower in Manitoba, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

“We’ve got to be competitive,” he said. “Our provincial government doesn’t understand that word.”

Large manufacturers, such as the Canadian units of the Detroit Three auto makers, are also worried about the competitive position of their operations in Ontario.

The announcement of lower rates for residential consumers represents a lost opportunity to reduce hydro charges for FCA Canada Inc. (Chrysler), Ford Motor Co. of Canada Ltd. and General Motors of Canada Co., said Mark Nantais, president of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association, a trade association and lobby group for the three auto makers.

“From what we can tell, there’s nothing there that would reduce our costs and help us improve our competitiveness,” Mr. Nantais said.

Although the Canadian operations won substantial commitments in the latest round of union agreements, the industry worries it will have trouble attracting future investments, particularly as U.S. President Donald Trump plans to cut corporate income-tax rates and, potentially, throw up protectionist barriers.

Mr. Nantais said car companies are too tightly tied to production schedules to take advantage of the program offered by the province that provides rebates for companies that can shift power consumption to off-peak hours. The Liberal government expanded that industrial conservation initiative to include more small businesses.

“I think this is going to make us more competitive because we are capturing those businesses [in the conservation program], and I think it puts us in a good position,” the Premier said. She added the electricity costs are not top of mind for most businesses that are investing or expanding in Ontario, but rather they look for a highly skilled work force.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this story underestimated the interest cost at $14-billion; in fact, the interest over the long-term would be $25-billion.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lashes-hydro-rates-residents/article34183180/

And to top off the NDP & Liberals:
Patrick Brown on PC Hydro plan: Stay tuned

Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown says his party will soon be having its own hydro announcement that will 'detail fixes' to skyrocketing rates.

"I really believe the Liberal Hydro plan fell short," Brown said. "$1.4 billion in interest. We're paying to make up for mistakes that continue to be committed. We're borrowing money to make up for bad contracts."

The Simcoe North MPP was in Barrie Friday for Hockey Helps the Homeless and took questions from local media via conference call about his plan to relieve Hydro rates.

"Very shortly we will be having our own Hydro announcement," he said offering no specifics on timing.

"As a starting point, I think the NDP and the Liberals are in damage control on this file and that's why they came up with these schemes because it's about their own political survival. They're looking at pretty ugly polling numbers. But ultimately this is the mess they own," Brown said.

"When we do unveil our Hydro plan I can assure you we'll be dealing with the issue of generation. We'll be dealing with the issue of bad contracts. We'll be dealing with the issue of the ongoing contracts that are being proceeded with even though we don't need it."

Brown says his party was awaiting figures from the government before drafting its Hydro fix.

He alleges the government is not sharing numbers that the opposition can work with but says some were released yesterday.

"This is probably the most secretive government we've ever had in Ontario history and when they're not sharing the books its difficult to put exact numbers on the table and that's why we wanted that disclosure."

Brown is also upset that 'out of control' executives' salaries are not being addressed and he also wants the Premier to ensure future shares of Hydro One are not sold.

Of Kathleen Wynne's plan to lower electricity rates another 17 percent, Brown said it doesn't go far enough.

"The Liberals have raised our Hydro rates since coming into office 400 percent and they're offering a 17 percent rebate simply by borrowing money and paying for contracts over a longer time."

Brown says the Liberals have not invested in infrastructure to make the system more reliable.

"Blackouts and the amount of interruptions have gone up 250 percent between 2012 and 2015," he said.

His Hydro plan will be 'across the board' and 'effect everyone' although he concedes the energy file has not been well-managed for decades.

"But the real blemishes, the real mistakes have happened on the watch of this Liberal government."

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/patrick-brown-on-pc-hydro-plan-stay-tuned-551197

Last edited:
A bit of a reality check- industrial rate cuts are as necessary as residential cuts (special reminder that Quebec's manufacturing sector is undergoing a boom at the moment). Furthermore, the province will pay an extra $25 billion over the next 30 years- no real savings are to be had, the whole thing is an act of rearranging debt and payments.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lashes-hydro-rates-residents/article34183180/

And to top off the NDP & Liberals:

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/patrick-brown-on-pc-hydro-plan-stay-tuned-551197

There's a difference between "large businesses aren't eligible for the 25% cut" and "they aren't doing anything for industry" which that article of course fails to mention. The conservation program that is dismissed in the article saves businesses up to 33% on top of the other breaks that they will be eligible for as a part of the 25% cut package.

Back