News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

well, they are not subways but they are rapid transit....and it is the rapid part that matters. What 5 minute Electrified GO is, though, is overkill. The reality is that if all of our GO corridors had daily service that filled the rush hour need and provided bi-directional service in a 15 - 30 minute frequency range in off peak times (mid day, evening, weekends, holidays) that would be plenty of service...plenty.

Anyone suggesting we need to get to 5 minute frequencies to places like Pickering/Brampton/Markham is guilty of overbuilding/overspending as much as Dougie is with his subway plan.

Though overbuilding in the form of an above ground corridor with an eye for future service intensification is a far, far lesser sin than choosing the highest cost mode of transit for no defensible reason.

AoD

Though overbuilding in the form of an above ground corridor with an eye for future service intensification is a far, far lesser sin than choosing the highest cost mode of transit for no defensible reason.

AoD
absolutely.....but we are talking about degrees here.

I often wonder where we would be now if once we got the Lakeshore lines to 30 minute off peak frequencies we had said ...."see, that is working...now let's get the other lines there".....I don't know enough to know if we would be farther ahead in actual implementation or not....but we jumped from getting one (two for some people) corridor to 30 minutes to getting them all to 15 minutes and it seems we have been in a perpetual planning mode since.....you might argue that the lack of movement (and, again, I don't know if we could actually be further along) has opened the door for Premier Dougie to be out touting subways subways subways.

absolutely.....but we are talking about degrees here.

I often wonder where we would be now if once we got the Lakeshore lines to 30 minute off peak frequencies we had said ...."see, that is working...now let's get the other lines there".....I don't know enough to know if we would be farther ahead in actual implementation or not....but we jumped from getting one (two for some people) corridor to 30 minutes to getting them all to 15 minutes and it seems we have been in a perpetual planning mode since.....you might argue that the lack of movement (and, again, I don't know if we could actually be further along) has opened the door for Premier Dougie to be out touting subways subways subways.

We have lived with 30 minutes or more services for the longest time in the 905 and nobody made a beep about subways subways subways. I find the sudden clamour for it unconvincing from a use perspective - especially considering how small a coverage area subways will offer AND that it will be slower than GO.

And building a subway to Pickering? Compared to GO? It's just patently stupid - things that only someone who doesn't use transit will say.

AoD

Actually you can by staying west of Yonge in Vaughan.
yes....if, for some bizarre pendantic reason, you went to the expense of building your subway to Richmond Hill but banned entrances to the subway on the east side of Yonge yes...you would have successfully built your subway all the way to Richmond Hill without "getting to Markham". You win this argument (one I didn't know I was in) so please don't bother coming back with your next brilliant point!

We have lived with 30 minutes or more services for the longest time in the 905 and nobody made a beep about subways subways subways. I find the sudden clamour for it unconvincing from a use perspective - especially considering how small a coverage area subways will offer AND that it will be slower than GO.

Already seeing the awful contagion effect....people thinking they are criticizing Dougie by saying things like "Pickering only has 92k people.....extend the subway to Mississauga instead"......people who really don't understand that subways are not always the best mode of rapid transit (they sometimes are...but not always).

And building a subway to Pickering? Compared to GO? It's just patently stupid - things that only someone who doesn't use transit will say.

AoD

I don't think you actually have to use subways to get that. If you glance at a schedule or two you might wonder why would a long distance commuter want subways instead of regional trains.....for example...why, in roughly the same corridor, does a GO train (current 12 car ploddy diesel trains) get to Union from Rutherford station in 29 - 31 minutes but a Subway from VMC station (a shorter distance) take 35 - 40 minutes?

I don't expect Doug to know or answer these questions but i took the opportunity to ask him.

upload_2018-6-21_14-11-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-21_14-11-58.png
    upload_2018-6-21_14-11-58.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 393
Regarding Markham, the Yonge Subway extension will go to Markham. To get a subway station on the municipal boundary, the Yonge Subway would only have to be extended to Steeles, about 2km.

Pickering would need at minimum an 11km subway extension just to reach it's municipal border from the Scarborough Subway. To get it to Pickering Town Centre, you would need 16km.

Obviously not happening.

Pickering would need at minimum an 11km subway extension just to reach it's municipal border from the Scarborough Subway. To get it to Pickering Town Centre, you would need 16km.
From Kennedy? 11 km only gets you to Meadowvale (and Kingston - down Eglinton and Kingston Road). I get 14 km (well 13.9) to the Rouge River. And then another 5 km to Liverpool Road and Kingston!

He'd get much faster and cheaper transit to downtown by reviving Premier Davis's GO-ALRT scheme - which called for subway-like frequencies - which was cancelled by PC Premier Miller, just after he entered office.

From a theoretical connection at Danforth/Lawrence to the Scarborough Subway.

Ah ... so he'd have to build that subway too. (and personally, if we DO build the Line 2 Extension to Scarborough Centre - I'm all in favour of building such a spur. But only for about 950 metres to the west end of the Eglinton GO platform!

Mind you, then running the subway above ground, along the existing GO alignment from Eglinton GO to Oshawa (and beyond?) would be brilliant. The only real expense would be some long-needed grade separations, such as at Morningside, etc.

Not sure the 905 folks though, would appreciate transferring trains at Kennedy station from Oshawa to get to Union. :)

A Sheppard subway could go as far as Rouge Hill to connect with Pickering, and act as an uptown commuter rail service that the GO from Pickering doesn’t currently serve.

Subways to Pickering and Markham are happening according to Ford . . . God Help Us

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-subways-1.4715880
Probably not. Doug Ford has a very long list of complete lies. I don't see any reason to think that he'd change now, and stop the lying.

Remember when he told us that Rob Ford didn't take drugs and there was no crack video? ROTFLMAO!!!! https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ays-crack-video-doesnt-exist/article12158667/

I've always wonder when this will actually drive transit investment. How bad does traffic congestion and subway crowding have to get before governments are actually compelled to invest in earnest?

Back