8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Newspapers:

Star: Left
Globe: centre, with a tilt left. Probably the most "centred" major paper
National Post: largely right. Not as flagrantly so as the Sun though.
Sun: Right
Metro: a subset of the star, so it publishes the same articles, and is therefor, left
24: a subset of the sun, and is therefor right

TV/Internet:

CBC: Centre-left. Probably most "centred" of the TV group, but not as close as the Globe would be.
CTV: Centre-right.
CP24: pretty neutral, but it doesn't have quite the same format.
Global: Right
CityTV - Centre-right

I find TV quality to be far below that of papers in all respects, and would generally advise avoiding it when possible. They lack editorials though so they tend not to show their "colours" as much as the newspapers - you can only discern it in how stories are reported and by what stories are shown.

Comparing news in Canada to the US is always going to make it seem super left wing since US news has become so far right wing and sensationalist. There are very few high quality news outlets remaining south of the border - especially not on TV. Canada's TV networks still seem to retain some semblance of dignity.

Are we going with the US standard of "Left" or the Canadian? Because it seems to me that comparing our news organizations to those of the US would be extremely unfair considering the differences in political ideologies and priorities.

Were heading that way unfortunately. NY Times now runs the Star. And Canadian Left papers seem to heavily rely on Trump click bait these days. CBC included

Comparing news in Canada to the US is always going to make it seem super left wing since US news has become so far right wing and sensationalist. There are very few high quality news outlets remaining south of the border - especially not on TV. Canada's TV networks still seem to retain some semblance of dignity.

NPR and PBS are extremely fair news outlets. I'd even go as far to put them in as better than all broadcasters here in Canada.

In terms of readership, The Star has the highest circulation numbers, but I believe that the Globe is effectively the largest paper in the country since they don't give out nearly as many free copies to boost numbers like the Star does. The Sun is 3rd, with the Post in 4th.

So yes, in the GTA, left or centre-left papers tend to get the majority of readership. The levels of patronage generally reflect that of the voting population as well though, the GTA has long tended to vote slightly left wing.

Not as sure on TV news since I generally avoid it.

NPR and PBS are extremely fair news outlets. I'd even go as far to put them in as better than all broadcasters here in Canada.
indeed, but they have tiny followings. The vast majority of TV news viewership is MSNBC, FOX, and CNN, all which are complete crap.

I agree with your first point of comparing Ford to Trump will make the Liberals look like they are just trying to scare people with false analogies and it will turn people off. The Liberals will attack Ford due to his use of cheap slogans and little policy so using cheap slogans against Ford himself will look disingenuous.

I however STRONGLY disagree with your second point of using 30 second sound bits from his brother. If Doug supported some of Rob's policies then simply state that and their negative consequences but by using Rob's quote and tangents the Liberals could rightly be accused of judging a person by the actions of their family members which would rub people, including myself, the wrong way. Going after Doug due to his own tactics or policy is legitimate but attacking him due to nothing more than guilt by association is a cheap shot and will be viewed by the public as such.

I'd have to agree with that.

On the most basic level, attacking your opponent's dead brother is a very bad political move.

Doug Ford supported everything his brother did, so calling him out on his own record is all they have to do.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not.
That's a paid front page advertisement from the Conservative party, literally nothing to do with the editorial content. Or do you think that all the car ads and real estate listings are written by journalists there too?
And the article that you link to is a prime example of ideological activism masquerading as journalism.

Actually, not the slightest bit. Do you think mainstream, apolitical papers should *allow* the front page to be used in such a manner? Also there were plenty of instances of issues around editorial endorsements in our supposedly left-leaning mainstream papers and media, like:

https://globalnews.ca/news/2285182/...lic-disagreement-with-paper-over-endorsement/

https://globalnews.ca/news/2281623/...ewspaper-editorial-boards-pick-their-parties/

http://www.canadalandshow.com/source-globe-editorial-board-endorsed-wynne-liberals-was-overruled/

As to the link itself, I used it as a citation for the image, not the content (which I don't for a second consider mainstream).

AoD

Last edited:
Newspapers:
Star: Left
Globe: centre, with a tilt left. Probably the most "centred" major paper
National Post: largely right. Not as flagrantly so as the Sun though.
Sun: Right
Metro: a subset of the star, so it publishes the same articles, and is therefor, left
24: a subset of the sun, and is therefor right

I would put Globe at economic centre right, social centre left; and NP as "traditional right" vs. Sun as "populist right".

And the Star I would be tempted to increasingly put it into "populist left"

AoD

Last edited:
@AlvinofDiaspar

Sure, you'll find local papers who lean a little more right, even though the national discourse has shifted so far left that many sources seem right just because they don't push left wing narratives. I suppose the effect is more pronounced in the US where the most prominent newspaper in the world (NYT) is leaning quite hard to the left.

Let me put forth a contrasting alternative - have you considered the possibility that one's views have shifted to the right to make anything else look like they have shifted to the left? I mean, think about it - the so called left papers are hardly calling for overthrowing capitalism, unbridled unionism, etc - in fact, there is a general tacit acceptance of a capitalist economic order post-Cold War. Ditto state intervention in economic life - we are a long, long way past the 50s and 60s when government expenditure, taxation and regulation were in sharp increases and endorsed, if not even actively practiced by Conservatives at the time.

What is left leaning in this context? I mean beyond any perception that they're picking on Ford and giving Wynne/Horvath favourable press.

Quite frankly, they would be negligent not to pick on him. I mean, can you imagine someone with such a wholesome past not being scrutinized in purer ages of yore? They'd be ran out of town.

AoD

Last edited:
@ad

The mainstream press which has become left leaning, very left leaning in some cases.

I'm going to join in the questioning of this statement.

I think it requires a couple of definitions first.

By what standard are we to judge the political bias of a media outlet?

(I'm not suggesting they don't exist, but looking for the objective comparator, so apples to apples comparisons may be made.)

ie. Are we considering the editorial page? What percentage of columnists appear to have an overt bias one way or the other? Is it which stories are
covered? Which placement they are given? Or overt slant of the 'news' stories themselves?

In reference to TV, where editorials are not typically a thing, in Canada; what are we considering, story slant, imagery, interviews, subjects of long-form journalism?

A second definition set is then required.

What is right wing, or centrist or left-wing?

I'm not being obtuse in asking.

I'm pointing out that if we were to judge by the broadly perceived political spectrum of the United States, the the National Post might be considered a Communist rag, LOL

If we wish to use Sweden as an example; The Star might pass for a conservative publication.

When people say the mainstream media has a left-wing bias, I find this fascinating as I would argue that not only is there very little evidence to support this conclusion based on a contemporary understanding of politics; but that it would pass for absurd using the classical definitions of left and right wing.

A second definition set is then required.

What is right wing, or centrist or left-wing?

I'm not being obtuse in asking.

I'm pointing out that if we were to judge by the broadly perceived political spectrum of the United States, the the National Post might be considered a Communist rag, LOL

If we wish to use Sweden as an example; The Star might pass for a conservative publication.

When people say the mainstream media has a left-wing bias, I find this fascinating as I would argue that not only is there very little evidence to support this conclusion based on a contemporary understanding of politics; but that it would pass for absurd using the classical definitions of left and right wing.

Which kind of bring us back to the question - what is the impact of US media on the Canadian political culture.

AoD

Which kind of bring us back to the question - what is the impact of US media on the Canadian political culture.

AoD

The unbalance in Ontario can be attributed to having two major Left wing parties of different spectrums and only one forever fluctuating Right wing party. Maybe with the latest rift in the Conservatives we will see a new branch evolve. Looking at the list I think its the NDP Metroland octopus that stretches the Left here from any balance.

The one thing I agree with on the Right is that the CBC needs to be removed from Government funding. No outlet affiliated with the Government should be reporting news

Back