News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Let me continue on by examining the top stories right this moment, on the websites of 4 papers and 4 broadcast outlets.

The Star: Police withdraw Pride Application, Pregnant woman denied Disney Cruise, Grade 10 Student bullying story, brother of Fed NDP leader seeks nomination, hotel lifts ban on guest.
The Sun; Police withdraw Pride application, Coworker shock about hit and run, Condom Snorting, Liberal Crusaders Exposed, Leafs Win
Globe; China Tariff moves press US, Israel Cancels Deal w/UN, New CBC Prez, Cops/Pride, Myanmar situation
Post: Statebook v Facebook, Calgary Olympics, Cops/Pride, Defend Free Speech against the Left, Canada should help Rohinga/Myanmar
CP24: Police investigate shooting, Midtown Stabbing, Spring Storm Coming, Cops/Pride, TTC Low income discount
CBC: Scheer accepts meeting w/Trudeau Advisor, Cops/Pride, Woman upset as charges against alleged assailant dismissed due to delay, Trump wants Military to help @ Mexican border
CTV: Scheer story, Halifax not guilty plea in death, cruise ship construction complaint, cops/pride, beware unlicensed taxis
Global: US/China, Over-tourism, Trump/Mexico, Financial Losses cause early death.

Hmmmm.

Do these reveal overt bias?

My personal take is that I see lots of non-news items, a fair bit of press-release journalism, some click-baiting, but the only truly overt bias would be found in one Sun piece and One Post piece. Both of those would be right-leaning bias.

Let me continue on by examining the top stories right this moment, on the websites of 4 papers and 4 broadcast outlets.

The Star: Police withdraw Pride Application, Pregnant woman denied Disney Cruise, Grade 10 Student bullying story, brother of Fed NDP leader seeks nomination, hotel lifts ban on guest.
The Sun; Police withdraw Pride application, Coworker shock about hit and run, Condom Snorting, Liberal Crusaders Exposed, Leafs Win
Globe; China Tariff moves press US, Israel Cancels Deal w/UN, New CBC Prez, Cops/Pride, Myanmar situation
Post: Statebook v Facebook, Calgary Olympics, Cops/Pride, Defend Free Speech against the Left, Canada should help Rohinga/Myanmar
CP24: Police investigate shooting, Midtown Stabbing, Spring Storm Coming, Cops/Pride, TTC Low income discount
CBC: Scheer accepts meeting w/Trudeau Advisor, Cops/Pride, Woman upset as charges against alleged assailant dismissed due to delay, Trump wants Military to help @ Mexican border
CTV: Scheer story, Halifax not guilty plea in death, cruise ship construction complaint, cops/pride, beware unlicensed taxis
Global: US/China, Over-tourism, Trump/Mexico, Financial Losses cause early death.

Hmmmm.

Do these reveal overt bias?

Volume on specific matters also what's not being reported is sometimes the larger issue to narrated story lines. The smaller outfits pushing the message should be considered in addition to the main staples.

Volume on specific matters also what's not being reported is sometimes the larger issue. The smaller outfits pushing the message should be considered in addition to the main staples.

You literally modified your previous post to drop the claim that the headlines are biased to make your original point. And reliance on smaller outfits brings on the trust issue - it takes little to no effort to put up biased if not downright fake content - and no stake to hold the outlet accountable.

AoD

There's also the issue of 'passive bias'.

By which I mean a bias that is not overtly political or partisan which skews perceptions in subtle ways.

I'll afford two examples.

1) The reporting on a daily basis of stock market indices. This implies a level of import of the day to day value of the stock market writ large for which there is no real basis.

Many people hold investments, but often in one stock or a particular mutual fund. Those values are not being reported.

The information's narrow usefulness, day to day, would be to people who hold ETFs in their investment portfolio, and actively manage them day to day.

There are any number of other data points that would be more useful to the typical person, or to the community writ-large in terms of reporting.

Yet, one might argue this informs an implicit bias linking the value of the stock market to personal prosperity in the broader sense.

2) Another similar example would the obsession w/gas prices.

If gas rises or falls as little as .5c per litre much hay is made of it in the media. But a typical personal vehicle might put 50L in at a fill, meaning a price impact of a whopping $2.50 per week.

For most families the typical flyer sales on meat or pop have more consequence to their bottom line, yet receive far less proverbial ink.

Again, this may inform an implicit bias against higher gas prices implying that they are relatively more important than they are to most households.

Such bias seems to exist across media outlets, as is a concern. But I don't think it shows partisan bias, nor ideological bias as we typically think of it.

Last edited:
You literally modified your previous post to drop the claim that the headlines are biased to make your original point. And reliance on smaller outfits brings on the trust issue - it takes little to no effort to put up biased if not downright fake content - and no stake to hold the outlet accountable.

AoD

Headlines and selective wording are used to highlight both the agenda narrative or garner more attention and are perfected art in our media. I omitted the headlines comment as my point was that there are other avenues as to which messages are being sent not just the news flow in the MSM. Theres a "war" so to speak on our political influence in our internet/social media era that the Right are somewhat losing to some extent. Because of this they are now strategically sending out Populists to capitalize on it by using it against the Left.

Last edited:
Headlines and selective wording are used to highlight both the agenda narrative or garner more attention and are perfected art in our media. I omitted the headlines comment as my point was that there are other avenues as to which messages are being sent not just the news flow in the MSM. There is a "war" so to speak on our political influence in our internet/social media era that the Right is somewhat losing IMO. They are now strategically sending out Populists to capitalize on this by using it against the Left.

No offense, but if there is one observation I can make, it is that your postings are high on accusations, labelling and loaded language - at a level far exceeding what I get from most news sources - and low on addressing what was being raised.

AoD

No offense, but if there is one observation I can make, it is that your postings are high on accusations, labelling and loaded language - at a level far exceeding what I get from most news sources - and low on addressing what was being raised.

AoD

There is really no need to be so smug simply because you don't agree with my views. Since you opened things up to be personal I should have grounds openly criticize the way you post. But that will only de-rail and ill stop her and take a pass. Feel free to disagree with my views but please drop the condescending "no offence" posts that are clearly backhanded. The discussion was politics and media and my original point was that Right wing Populists like Ford are feeding off of the attack from the Left media due to unbalance bias. I gave my views and you likely disagree and that's completely acceptable to debate or discuss. If I misunderstood you or you feel then need to discuss further please feel free to PM me. Personal baiting on here really isn't constructive.

Last edited:
There is really no need to be so smug simply because you don't agree with my views. Since you opened things up to be personal I should have grounds openly criticize the way you post. But that will only de-rail and ill stop her and take a pass. Feel free to disagree with my views but please drop the condescending "no offence" posts that are clearly backhanded. The discussion was politics and media and my original point was that Right wing Populists like Ford are feeding off of the attack from the Left media due to unbalance bias. I gave my views and you likely disagree and that's completely acceptable to debate or discuss. If I misunderstood you or you feel then need to discuss further please feel free to PM me. Personal baiting on here really isn't constructive.

lol you're literally proving AoD's point. You have an obvious chip on your shoulder and lash out at anyone who disagrees with you. I get it - I can be a right dick when posting here myself because it's easy to disassociate and attack faceless users but at least I recognize that and walk away when I'm getting angry. You just casually insult anyone left of Doug Ford and then feign innocence when people snap back at you. I can't remember the last time I saw a post from you that wasn't some rant about how liberals, Liberals and leftists were bad and terrible for Ontario. How is that not accusation, labeling and loaded language?

This is who OneCity is.
He has clashed with pretty much everyone in this board. But it’s not him that has a problem; it’s everyone else. </sarcasm>

Reactions: syn
What is left leaning in this context? I mean beyond any perception that they're picking on Ford and giving Wynne/Horvath favourable press.

CBC and Star. I'm not saying they're leaning toward one candidate or another, but many of their stories and the angles they chose favour "sjw" causes and narratives.

The one thing I agree with on the Right is that the CBC needs to be removed from Government funding. No outlet affiliated with the Government should be reporting news

This is truly ignorant. I am living in the US temporarily since late 2016 on exchange. Let me tell you the best news service are the public outlets (NPR and PBS Newshour). CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, have all kinds of bias to outright propaganda.

This is what private ownership of media does:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...as-local-news-anchors-recite-script-in-unison

If you want to talk about propaganda, let's look at the feedback loop between Donald Trump and Fox News:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/fox-news-coordinated-white-house-false-story-lawsuit-says

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/16/media/fox-news-campaign-against-fbi-robert-mueller/index.html

Sorry. But not having an independent public broadcaster which covers the news is the mark of a backwards nation to me. The best news sources are virtually all public broadcasters. BBC. FR24. Deutsche Welle. ABC (Australia). And the CBC. In fact, I sometimes get better news and analysis about US issues from the CBC than I do from American media.

On topic. Has there been any planned transit project that Ford has pledged not to support or to flat out cancel?

The one thing I agree with on the Right is that the CBC needs to be removed from Government funding. No outlet affiliated with the Government should be reporting news

Keithz already brought up great points that I'm not going to rehash. Beyond that, the issue with the defunding the CBC is that we're in a media environment that is rapidly shrinking. Media outlets across the country are regularly going out of circulation, or being absorbed into media behemoths. We shouldn't be getting rid of the CBC in a time where there is a dwindling number of viewpoints to be found in the media. Further, across much of the county, CBC is the only media source available that covers local matters. And in many more places, defunding the CBC would leave communities with only one media source. We can't have a healthy democracy when much of the country has fully monopolized news media, or no news media at all.

Edit: defending -> defunding, lol

Last edited:

Back