News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Agreed. As much as they tried to muzzle him, his destructive, idiotic governance at the provincial level sank his federal colleagues.

Scheer is done after this debacle.

I would say the tories did well in most of the country, dominated the West, Held in Quebec and some gains in the east...

Ontario, however, is a disaster

Agreed. As much as they tried to muzzle him, his destructive, idiotic governance at the provincial level sank his federal colleagues.

And you missed or didn't believe the polls indicating his unpopularity? It seems we are smarter than we look. The province can see him for what he is. There are too many with too much common sense and whose values are offended by the possibility of Scheer to fall for this. Ford. Trump. Ford II. Scheer. Methinks that many have figured out what this populist conservatism looks like.

Jane Philpott, who resigned from the Liberal cabinet and was booted from the party by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau amid the SNC Lavalin scandal, lost her bid for reelection.

I would say the tories did well in most of the country, dominated the West, Held in Quebec and some gains in the east...

Ontario, however, is a disaster

They didn't do well at all. Trudeau was vulnerable and wounded, mostly as a result of his own incompetence. A real Tory leader would have cleaned his clock. All the polls were showing a dead heat yet the CPC's didn't come anywhere close. There's no way Scheer continues on after this.

They didn't do well at all. Trudeau was vulnerable and wounded, mostly as a result of his own incompetence. A real Tory leader would have cleaned his clock. All the polls were showing a dead heat yet the CPC's didn't come anywhere close. There's no way Scheer continues on after this.

True, think Trudeau got very lucky with the vote splits in key areas tonight I think but no doubt a decent leader getting more support in Ontario would have made a huge difference.

There is another problem with Conservatives right now. They have decided to appeal to the base. This anti-intellectual shit is a big turn-off. A lot of women had a problem with Andrew Scheer. Lisa Raitt's loss is a big loss for them. And the Green's gains mean that there is no party that hopes to win a general election in Canada who can pretend that climate change does not exist. The conservatives can not win or progress from being a party of country bumpkins unless these issues are confronted head-on.

True however the liberals are getting their asses handed to them in Quebec and the NDP is losing seats. I can see Jagmeet being asked to resign after this election and Questions being asked about Trudeaus confidence in the house.

Singh won't be asked to resign. It's his first election and he picked up a lot of momentum towards the end.

The Liberals and NDP should be able to work well together for some time.

There is another problem with Conservatives right now. They have decided to appeal to the base. This anti-intellectual shit is a big turn-off. A lot of women had a problem with Andrew Scheer. Lisa Raitt's loss is a big loss for them. And the Green's gains mean that there is no party that hopes to win a general election in Canada who can pretend that climate change does not exist. The conservatives can not win or progress from being a party of country bumpkins unless these issues are confronted head-on.

Agreed.

They have to move to the centre and essentially become new Progressive Conservatives.

Continuing to be a regional party with a leader that questions climate change and has issues with homosexuals just isn't going to work.

This seems like a blast to the 90s

Bloc do well in Quebec
Liberals are non-existent out West
Liberals dominate Ontario and the Maritimes
NDP really has no real impact.

Overall, tonight's results are a puzzler.

This is going to be divisive for the country and we will need skilled leadership to keep it all together.

It is sad to see French Quebeckers supporting the BQ.

Although I didn't vote Green, I can see that this issue is now central in a majority of Canadian's minds. This is good. Every party will have to deal with this issue and the economic and quality of life issues that it brings.

My happiest take-away - after last year's Ford win - is that the GTHA - with its 10 million residents - of all shapes and sizes and origins and beliefs, voted for a party that is playing the big tent game. In a world where intolerance and narrow-mindedness, not to mention anti-intellectualism are leading philosophies, Canadians re-affirmed a path that I am happy to be a part of. I am proud of how diverse the candidates of all parties looked tonight and I am proud that it's (largely) a total non-issue here.

Against all odds - USA. Hungary. Philippines. Turkey. Britain. Brazil. The trend to an anti-liberal future is not inevitable. This is noteworthy world-wide.

Some takeways:

Greens are borderline disappointed. A pick-up in Fredericton was good for them; but they're in tough to get a 3rd seat on Vancouver Island w/Victoria teetering and NDP leading there. They top out a 4 either way.

NDP overperformed vs initial expectations; but underperformed vs the polls at the end, particularly in Ontario. Even Ruth-Ellen Brosseau is tracking 2nd to the BQ though its a tight race and note over just yet.

Libs over performed, primarily in Ontario. I think the takedown of Raitt was emblematic of the night for the Cons.

The western, particularly Alberta problem is real. The last thing this country needs is more separatists. The Libs/NDP need to do quality out reach in AB; and the Cons needs to stop vilifying people with a 3-digit IQ.

JWR is ahead in her seat by 1,000 votes with just over 68% of the vote counted.

Back