News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

One of the entertaining substories is the Quebec MP who sneakily switched from NDP to Green just before the election because he was troubled by SIngh's turban ended up losing his seat anyway, getting only 11% of the vote.... Way to overestimate your popularity.

Popular vote Tories 34.5% , Liberals 33%

Seems like both parties got a higher percentage of the popular vote due to NDP underperforming compared to polls.

So will this result in calm things politically nationally, or have the fireworks just started?

Also how is turnout, seems down a ton compared to 2015...

Last edited:
Speaking as NDP supporter, I think I'm most disappointed that benchwarmers in Davenport and Danforth won, despite better challengers, and that a non-resident billionaire plutocrat won by such a wide margin in my riding. As a general progressive, I am happy the Conservatives were shut out of Toronto and urban Peel Region. And I'll happily take the Liberal win in Milton.

This really is where the Conservatives lost the election. They needed to flip 416/GTA seats. That didn't happen

They really can thank Doug Ford for that.

There is another problem with Conservatives right now. They have decided to appeal to the base. This anti-intellectual shit is a big turn-off. A lot of women had a problem with Andrew Scheer. Lisa Raitt's loss is a big loss for them. And the Green's gains mean that there is no party that hopes to win a general election in Canada who can pretend that climate change does not exist. The conservatives can not win or progress from being a party of country bumpkins unless these issues are confronted head-on.

I said elsewhere that the Conservatives chose to be the federal representatives of Alberta rather than running for the interests of most Canadians. This is the outcome. And well deserved.

I'm hoping they learn from it. We need a right-of-centre party to offer some balance. That's hard to have when they refuse to be a national party.

Interesting facts...

Justin Trudeau got well over 1 million fewer voters then 2015 but did not lose may seats

The conservatives have gotten more votes than they did in 2011 when they won majority but only gained 20 seats by running up the total in conservative parts of the country.

The Conservatives got no seats in in the largest city in the country and barely had any seats in the GTA which has more people than Alberta and Saskatchewan combined and all we are hearing is western alienation. Albertans have always voted Conservative by wide margins and blaming this phenomena on Trudeau is baffling.

Not bad results- but with hyperregional results, my takeaway on possible futures:

- Trudeau stays, but with a diminished mandate. Good news on that front.
- Bloc is back, which may shake things up
- Sheer may stay, which is unfortunate
- Singh is on much more precarious grounds. NDP may be the tie-breakers
- PPC didn't make it

Last edited:
Not bad results- but with hyperregional results, my takeaway on possible futures:

- Trudeau stays, but with a diminished mandate. Good news on that front.
- Bloc is back, which may shake things up
- Sheer may stay, which is unfortunate- it
- Singh is on much more precarious. NDP may be the tie-breakers
- PPC didn't make it
It's always a very difficult country to please based upon regional lines as it is, coupled with the ancient urban and rural split. It's just more of the same old, but with a minority government this time. There's something holding this country together.

Being honest a minority government was for the best as it will allow the Prime Minister be much more accountable to the Canadian people.

I highly doubt we will get like electoral reform but majority government regardless of party are highly undemocratic

Last edited:

Back