News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This country and these parties need new leaders.

I nominate Pierre Poilievre for the Conservatives, Charlie Angus for the NDP, and Marc Garneau for the Liberals.

Elizabeth May can stay.

Well arguably the Conservatives should be able to at least approach the results of the last Ontario election. But to be shut out of Peel? Lose Milton? They should be able to win places like North/West Van (Reform did!).

Peel disappoints me to no end. All but 4 looked to be vulnerable for the Liberals and could easily had flipped; especially Mississauga Streetsville, Erin Mills and Lakeshore. The loss of Halton Region is also shocking. And then there's the losses in Newmarket, Stoufville, Whitby, Peterborough and Richmond Hill. None of these combined would have even changed the outcome of the election much but disappointing none the less.

Liberals basically won by simply winning over the Big 3 MTV and the Maritimes.

I nominate Pierre Poilievre for the Conservatives, Charlie Angus for the NDP, and Marc Garneau for the Liberals.

Elizabeth May can stay.

Bare with me here............

You want to replace Scheer......ok......fine.............but with someone who was a notorious partisan hack, one who never went off talking points, one who was always rude, inflammatory and obnoxious......and you think he would be an improvement?

Just look at what the Ottawa SUN said about him .....https://ottawasun.com/2013/05/18/skippy-aka-mp-pierre-poilievre-has-sunk-to-new-low-sherring/wcm/2cde2eaa-d0a1-443c-8f4a-ed18e5abba26

You want to replace Mr. Singh....ok.....fine.........but Charlie Angus......hmm, does have the virtue of being blunt and actually reasonably smart..........but he got the endorsement of only 2 members of caucus when he ran a less than successful campaign for leader (the contest Singh won); and his French is frankly not as good as Singh's either.......(and that could be better)

You want to replace Mr. Trudeau......no surprise..........but with a Minister whose accomplishment as Minister have been unexceptional to say the least, and whose charisma is on par with watching paint dry....

You do have interesting preferences....

Pierre Poilievre

Real chance dude might not keep his seat given the changing demographics in his riding. He's not well liked in Ottawa. He's been a very effective MP, and that's sustained him so far.

Liberals basically won by simply winning over the Big 3 MTV and the Maritimes.

That would be half the population of the country. The top 6 metro areas areas cover half of Canada's population after all. And of those six, four went heavily Liberal. And the two won by the Conservatives were the smaller metros.

Also, you missed Ottawa. They did well there. Pierre Poilievre is the only conservative MP left in the area.

You want to replace Mr. Trudeau......no surprise..........but with a Minister whose accomplishment as Minister have been unexceptional to say the least, and whose charisma is on par with watching paint dry....

I agree with the rest. This I take exception to. He's well liked in the party. And Trudeau pigeon-holed him in Transport because he was a threat. Can't make waves there. Even though he's actually had some accomplishments (legislating drones and leading on the 737 debacle for example) in his portfolio.

While he's not Trudeau charismatic, he did okay during the leadership contest. And being Canada's first astronaut does have a certain cachet. He's sort of cut from the Paul Martin cloth. And there's plenty of moderate voters who'd be just fine with that. Me included. I'd pick him over Trudeau on competence for sure.

I agree with the rest. This I take exception to. He's well liked in the party. And Trudeau pigeon-holed him in Transport because he was a threat. Can't make waves there. Even though he's actually had some accomplishments (legislating drones and leading on the 737 debacle for example) in his portfolio.

While he's not Trudeau charismatic, he did okay during the leadership contest. And being Canada's first astronaut does have a certain cachet.

Honestly, I like Marc Garneau more than I like Justin Trudeau. He is someone who would actually win for the LPC,

Honestly, I like Marc Garneau more than I like Justin Trudeau. He is someone who would actually win for the LPC,

Agreed. I actually think he'd be more competent as PM. Just look at his actual leadership experience. He'd run a government substantially better than Trudeau. And no worries about major scandals. He's getting up there in age though. So I'm not sure if he's as interested as he was during the last leadership contest.

Elizabeth May can stay.

Skippy as CPC leader? That wouldn't be wise.

While he's not Trudeau charismatic, he did okay during the leadership contest. And being Canada's first astronaut does have a certain cachet. He's sort of cut from the Paul Martin cloth. And there's plenty of moderate voters who'd be just fine with that. Me included. I'd pick him over Trudeau on competence for sure.

Fair enough.

Here's why I might be a bit harsher...........

Transport Canada still hasn't mandated truck sideguards that would prevent cyclists and for that matter small cars from being caught-up under a trailer.

This despite the industry lobby group officially coming around on the idea. Sigh.

Then there's unending VIA debacle; the failure to get anything through in the 1st term of any kind, not only no HFR/HSR type proposals for the corridor, but also none of the projects VIA's CEO mused about such as
better service to Sarnia or between the major Cities in the Maritimes.

Canada also hasn't made a move to require PTC, even though there's mandate for it in the United States.

Nor has there been a simple move to link approved train lengths to train siding lengths. (siding is 500M long (straight-away, excluding turnout) that's your length limit)

Passenger Bill of Rights is still a light-weight 1/2 measure in air travel; a simple rule is needed, you can't oversell, EVER. No such thing as selling a seat that isn't available. That would be seen as illegal in many sectors
of the economy, as well it should.

There have been insufficient moves to impose vehicle safety systems on all models of cars that would save lives. Rear view camera, side view camera, collision avoidance, lane-drift detection as examples.

Maybe my standards are too high; but I'm not a big fan of mediocrity.

Maybe my standards are too high; but I'm not a big fan of mediocrity

A lot of what you raise requires buy in from the rest of cabinet and the PM....a PM the Garneau ran against in the leadership contest. Some of what you raise are issues that ministers simply don't deal with. That's the bureaucracy making a decision and passing it up. I do some regulatory work for aviation on the military side. Can't imagine the minister pushing specific regulation.

Garneau should have had a foreign policy portfolio or even industry/science minister. It's pretty obvious why the Transport portfolio was given to him.

Agreed. I actually think he'd be more competent as PM. Just look at his actual leadership experience. He'd run a government substantially better than Trudeau. And no worries about major scandals. He's getting up there in age though. So I'm not sure if he's as interested as he was during the last leadership contest.

Age is a number. The problem with Trudeau is the name.. he got in because his daddy was PM. It is like Doug Ford getting elected, he only got elected because his brother was well known in the largest group of seats in Ontario.

That being said, it is hard to find a fresh face that is not tainted but has experience. It is like if Maryam Monsef or Salma Zahid ran for the leadership. They are a fresh face but they have no clue what they are doing. They would screw up royally and taint the brand.

It is also hard to find someone that will win over the entire country. Right now a french-Canadian won't win in Alberta, a cattle ranching oil baron won't win in the east and a bay street banker won't win in the east coast.

Age is a number. The problem with Trudeau is the name.. he got in because his daddy was PM. It is like Doug Ford getting elected, he only got elected because his brother was well known in the largest group of seats in Ontario.

That being said, it is hard to find a fresh face that is not tainted but has experience. It is like if Maryam Monsef or Salma Zahid ran for the leadership. They are a fresh face but they have no clue what they are doing. They would screw up royally and taint the brand.

It is also hard to find someone that will win over the entire country. Right now a french-Canadian won't win in Alberta, a cattle ranching oil baron won't win in the east and a bay street banker won't win in the east coast.

Name is a blessing and a curse - I doubt any attack from AB/SK would have worked nearly as well if it wasn't a Trudeau. In any case, I'd say it serves no one trying to please everyone at this point - better do the job well than to be popular. Big enough tent, but with very clear red-lines.

AoD

Name is a blessing and a curse - I doubt any attack from AB/SK would have worked nearly as well if it wasn't a Trudeau. In any case, I'd say it serves no one trying to please everyone at this point - better do the job well than to be popular.

AoD

That's the thing. You can do the job well but if Canadians hate you with a passion you won't win.

What you need is a national emergency to seal the deal. A wildfire wiping BC off the map, climate change destroying life as we know it in Nunavut or a 9/11 style attack on Toronto would bring people together and win votes for the leading party if managed correctly.

That's the thing. You can do the job well but if Canadians hate you with a passion you won't win.

What you need is a national emergency to seal the deal. A wildfire wiping BC off the map, climate change destroying life as we know it in Nunavut or a 9/11 style attack on Toronto would bring people together and win votes for the leading party if managed correctly.

I'll take a pass on your chosen path to popularity for a party/leader.

Back