News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see the LPO develop a policy framework and platform that could deliver a similar legacy. And since the conservative have moved right, this is very easy to. Heavy focus on infrastructure, healthcare, K-12 education and daycare. As long as they can do all that with a balanced budget, they can enjoy a long tenure. If Ontarians really care about the social justice stuff, we can elect the NDP.

I post this as a non-partisan; but also one who wishes to challenge your assumptions.

(these measures are post 1981, based on the ability to use consistent and accurate statistics.)

From here: https://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/to...fiscally-responsible-record-any-federal-party
  • NDP governments have balanced their budgets 40 per cent (or 22 of the 55) years they've been in office, compared to just 33 per cent for Conservatives and 23 per cent for Liberal governments.
  • Deficits under NDP governments have averaged 0.5 per cent of GDP compared to 1.1 per cent for Conservative governments and 1.3 per cent for Liberals.
  • Average debt-to-GDP ratios are similar for NDP and Conservative governments at 24 per cent, lower than the average under Liberal governments at 35 per cent, but Conservative governments have increased debt/GDP ratios at a higher rate than either Liberal or NDP governments.
  • Far from being big spenders, NDP governments have actually averaged slightly lower spending as a share of their economies than either Liberal or Conservative governments at 21.6 per cent compared to 22.2 per cent for Conservative and 24.6 per cent for Liberal governments.
  • NDP governments have also not been big taxers: their revenues as a share of their economies have averaged 21 per cent , similar to Conservatives and lower than the average under Liberal governments at 23.4 per cent.

I post this as a non-partisan; but also one who wishes to challenge your assumptions.

(these measures are post 1981, based on the ability to use consistent and accurate statistics.)

From here: https://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/to...fiscally-responsible-record-any-federal-party
  • NDP governments have balanced their budgets 40 per cent (or 22 of the 55) years they've been in office, compared to just 33 per cent for Conservatives and 23 per cent for Liberal governments.
  • Deficits under NDP governments have averaged 0.5 per cent of GDP compared to 1.1 per cent for Conservative governments and 1.3 per cent for Liberals.
  • Average debt-to-GDP ratios are similar for NDP and Conservative governments at 24 per cent, lower than the average under Liberal governments at 35 per cent, but Conservative governments have increased debt/GDP ratios at a higher rate than either Liberal or NDP governments.
  • Far from being big spenders, NDP governments have actually averaged slightly lower spending as a share of their economies than either Liberal or Conservative governments at 21.6 per cent compared to 22.2 per cent for Conservative and 24.6 per cent for Liberal governments.
  • NDP governments have also not been big taxers: their revenues as a share of their economies have averaged 21 per cent , similar to Conservatives and lower than the average under Liberal governments at 23.4 per cent.

Read my post carefully. I never said anything about the NDP being poor fiscal managers.

Rare though it may be I think the NDP in Ontario got an unfair ride during Bob Rae's time. That is neither here nor there at this point. Ontarians don't see them as a centre-left party. And the Liberals moving further left will only imperil their chances at governing.

If people thought the scandals were juicy under McGuinty and Wynne, just wait until you see Del Duca in action.

Gotta get elected before you can have scandals.

For me, I care more about dethroning Ford than ideological purity.

Last edited:
Yeah expect ford to get wiped out in most of Toronto but dominate the 905 with this as the opposition

I can see parts of York Region switching back to Liberal with an Italo-Canadian leader.

Del Duca is adamant that he is running in his home riding, Vaughan-Woodbridge, in 2022. However, I was looking at the results from 2018 and didn't realize Duca placed a very distant second, 8,000 votes behind Michael Tibollo, the PC winner.

That's a big margin to overcome in 2022, especially with recent polls showing the Ford government still in majority territory. He would be better positioned to run in Kathleen Wynne's seat in Don Valley West, which will be vacant.

It reminds me of a then newly-minted NDP leader Jack Layton taking the risky move to run in Toronto Danforth in the 2004 federal election, despite the party placing a very distant second in the prior general election. Layton ended up eking out a win in 2004, but not without a massive army of volunteers from across Toronto, to the determent of other ridings, including his wife's candidacy in Trinity-Spadina, where she lost by a nose.

LPC is going to bounce back quite resoundingly in the next election. LPC was crushed due to overwhelming fatigue with the party and the weight of decades of baggage and scandal. Del Duca or anyone else (hell, even Wynne had she stuck around) would have seen the party bounce back.

LPC is going to bounce back quite resoundingly in the next election. LPC was crushed due to overwhelming fatigue with the party and the weight of decades of baggage and scandal. Del Duca or anyone else (hell, even Wynne had she stuck around) would have seen the party bounce back.

I do agree but i think it will come at the cost of the Ndp.

1615982277860.png

Source:

Ontario would be a better place if he left politics altogether, couldnt care less where the man runs.

Not a slight a you @mjl08, you're just posting the news I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back