News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Looking at poll by polls, the NDP in the last federal election did best in the early-gentrification, less wealthy areas like Dufferin Grove and Kensington Market; in more mature, established areas like the Annex and North Riverdale the NDP was weaker. Incidentally Keesmaat did not have this problem, she did about the same in both types of areas. But the municipal left is very much the Brahmin left in Toronto, and progressive politics is a nonpartisan (or cross-partisan?) alliance of NDP and urban reform liberals.

Last edited:
I think Tory goes for a third term.
I like your wager.....because I reckon it's a good wager.

I myself am thinking of running for mayor, but I'm still assembling enough money to destroy the Gardiner. Only about 20% there, and 95% of that is promises of money.

Sorry, Toronto......maybe next time. :) There's only so much a working class bloke can accomplish.

In my riding of Parkdale High Park, I would argue that there is a bigger NDP dyed-in-wool "base" than the Liberals, but there is a huge and growing pool of "leftish-flexible" voters who will vote based on the prevailing winds. It also explains why my poll went only 16% Liberal in the 2018 provincial election, but 47% for the Liberals in the 2019 federal election.

It's called gentrification, mate. This riding is less...um, in need of handout as it once was. That's what I call progress!

Who's the working class' candidate? And no, union slags of the NDP don't qualify.

I want people who care about the working class and not unions.

There is alway an NDP type candidate in the election. I wonder who will run?

I am really not excited at 4 more years of Tory. But I don't know what Keesmaat could do to win more votes. She's not able to appeal to voters in the Toronto suburbs. I think the best bet for a more progressive mayor would have to involve that person coming from Etobicoke or Scarborough.

I am really not excited at 4 more years of Tory. But I don't know what Keesmaat could do to win more votes. She's not able to appeal to voters in the Toronto suburbs. I think the best bet for a more progressive mayor would have to involve that person coming from Etobicoke or Scarborough.

My gut is that he's running. If he were planning on retiring, I think you'd see Tory make much more bold announcements and scrap together legacy items. But he's acting his normal self - a boring, overly technocratic, middle-manager approach.

Last edited:
My gut is that he's running. If he were planning on retiring, I think you'd see Tory make much more bold announcements and scrap together legacy items. But he's acting his normal self - a boring, overly technocratic, middle-manager approach.

Agreed, he's definitely running again. I think he's become addicted to being mayor of Canada's biggest city after a series of previous electoral flops and doesn't want to give it up.

Agreed, he's definitely running again. I think he's become addicted to being mayor of Canada's biggest city after a series of previous electoral flops and doesn't want to give it up.
Also the potential of being Toronto's longest serving Mayor - as well as cement some legacy projects in place is surely appetising. (especially after so many electoral flops!)

Back