News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I support uploading the Gardiner to the province, but how the heck would they ever get the province to agree?

Presume a loud enough argument is made that the Gardiner is costing the city wayyyyyy too much money to maintain (it is), and that the city needs upload it to the province or tear it down because just about every other section of the budget suffers because of it (they do). If its as important as Doug-There's-a-War-on-Cars-Ford believes, he can't say "tear it down", but he's also completely unlikely to actually take the Gardiner under the province. There's little for him or the province to gain from it; it's just crumbling infrastructure. All he can stand to win from it is saying he kept the status quo.

As much as I don't like Bailao, it's brilliant. It plays both the anti- and pro- Gardiner sides against Ford as opposed to each other. It leaves him holding the bag, even if he (my prediction) says some hypocritical BS about not involving the province in municipal politics. He'll be the one to blame if the Gardiner gets torn down.

Maybe that vote split is the thing. The more high-profile/celebrity candidates that join the lower the FPTP bar is set, which then attracts more long-shots to enter as it gets even more likely someone can win it all on under 30% support.
This could turn quickly into a farce of also-rans trying to make a comeback. It's not like you need a huge sum of money for a campaign in Toronto, and the media will eat it up and give everyone their airtime for free to campaign (since it means they don't have to pay to produce anything to fill that space).
Quick, somebody call John Sewell and David Crombie to run!

It's odd to see Bailao and Bradford competing against one another. Both were close friends and also the lone centrists/Tory allies on the Dipper controlled Toronto-EY Community Council.

Kouvalis is 3 for 3 for Toronto mayoral elections, so I wouldn't count her out.

It's odd to see Bailao and Bradford competing against one another. Both were close friends and also the lone centrists/Tory allies on the Dipper controlled Toronto-EY Community Council.

If Ana Bailao wins, I can see her appointing Brad Bradford has her deputy mayor.

But 0 for 1 in Brampton mayoral elections.

Presume a loud enough argument is made that the Gardiner is costing the city wayyyyyy too much money to maintain (it is), and that the city needs upload it to the province or tear it down because just about every other section of the budget suffers because of it (they do). If its as important as Doug-There's-a-War-on-Cars-Ford believes, he can't say "tear it down", but he's also completely unlikely to actually take the Gardiner under the province. There's little for him or the province to gain from it; it's just crumbling infrastructure. All he can stand to win from it is saying he kept the status quo.

As much as I don't like Bailao, it's brilliant. It plays both the anti- and pro- Gardiner sides against Ford as opposed to each other. It leaves him holding the bag, even if he (my prediction) says some hypocritical BS about not involving the province in municipal politics. He'll be the one to blame if the Gardiner gets torn down.
Could force Doug's hand and just threaten to close it until it is later dismantled, as the city can no longer afford to maintain it. Either the province uploads responsibility for it or allows the city to toll it (which is what really should be done). Of course, the Gardiner really does need to be dismantled at some point. Tolling it in the mean time will give some insight into whether it is worth pursuing expensive options to replace it (tunnels or rebuild) or if a lot of the traffic headed downtown disappears. I think there is merit to some kind of limited access roadway to service the core even just for commercial vehicles, to stop the endless parade of trucks that would be needed on arterials to keep downtown serviced from the suburbs.

Sort of worried about uploading the Gardiner to the province as that could mean it getting built in a way that is shittier/more quick-and-dirty than the current plan, a la Relief Line/Ontario Line.

No it's not brilliant. It's a too-cute ploy to try have it both ways and avoid responsibility for the hard choice that lies ahead. Doesn't matter who the premier is, the province will never take back those highways. Pretending that it's a possibility only muddies the issue.

Actually, I think the way to get the province to upload the highway is to vote to tear it down. My guess is that causes Doug to come to the rescue. Or, we end up with no Gardiner, win win. Asking nicely is going to get us the same response. I'm sure Ana knows this, and will just shrug her shoulders, say, "I tried", but keep the renovation going until it's rebuilt and there is truly no going back.

Back