News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mark Saunders, the former Toronto police chief who ran as a Progressive Conservative candidate in the Ontario election in 2022, failed to secure a seat in the provincial legislature. It's the association with Doug Ford's Progressive Conservatives that could hurt him.

Olivia Chow was a New Democratic Party MP until from 2006 to 2014. She could get the "anyone not PC" votes.

If we had a "ranked ballot", instead of the current "first past the post" ballot, Olivia Chow would be my #3 vote.

Will have to see the "polling" as the by-election date gets closer.

Mark Saunders, the former Toronto police chief who ran as a Progressive Conservative candidate in the Ontario election in 2022, failed to secure a seat in the provincial legislature. It's the association with Doug Ford's Progressive Conservatives that could hurt him.

Olivia Chow was a New Democratic Party MP until from 2006 to 2014. She could get the "anyone not PC" votes.

If we had a "ranked ballot", instead of the current "first past the post" ballot, Olivia Chow would be my #3 vote.

Will have to see the "polling" as the by-election date gets closer.
She was also city councillor for 13 years.

I feel like the reaction to Chow is perhaps a little more negative that she deserves, but I also understand it. I found her mayoral campaign to be very disappointing and do have a feeling of her being yesterday's candidate. And also worry about what her policy would be. But also at the same time, it's not like any of these candidates are exactly perfect and they all have their issues and basically every politician in the city and in the country and their policies has failed on the housing and affordability crisis.

But the negative reaction to her given her also coming in at the top of a poll is a bit out of proportion I think. Maybe she's not as weak a candidate as everyone thinks? JMM's reaction and the reply to his tweet above throwing water on the idea of there needing to be an NDP candidate is also curious to me given that she is in front of every other candidate. Maybe the NDP base actually is meaningful and is a relevant voting block here? And why the assumption that this is her ceiling? Maybe this support will actually be pretty solid with no other significant left candidates to chip at it. And the previous election with her Tory and Ford is not ideal for capturing what she could have got if there wasn't the fear of Ford pushing people to Tory. Though fear of Saunders might be a similar dynamic. Who knows, maybe her support will fall, but it just seems weird that everyone's jumping to dismiss her but at the same time she's at the top of a poll before even announcing.

I remain skeptical though of her as a candidate (and all the candidates) before I see some realistic policy of how to move forward as a city. If she has good policy I'd consider voting for her, and also if her name recognition and public profile can make her the most likely candidate to go over the top (especially if the other risk is Saunders) I would be more inclined to vote for her as well.

Surprised to see Saunders so high and a bit fearful about the possibility of him becoming the candidate conservatives rally around + crossover support from more apolitical people who are concerned about safety. I think having a cop as mayor would not be a good thing on its own in general, but as others have pointed out Saunders isn't even a good cop by cop standards. And what are Saunder's policies or ideas or his direction for the city? I really hope as the city gets to know him more in the campaign that his support wanes. I am a bit concerned though especially with this split field and with the furor around public safety in the city over the last while.

Bailao is way lower than I expected. Maybe because she lacks city-wide profile. It seems like the DUI thing still sticks to her a bit, at least in internet comments. Not sure how much people broadly speaking remember that or will care when push comes to shove. Before this poll dropped I was about to predict she would win, but I'm not sure anymore. I think despite some issues I have with her that she'd be a much better mayor on the balance vs. Tory, Ford, Lastman, or potential Saunders, and could work effectively with others I think — so I could potentially vote for her if she has good policy and looks like she could win. But if the conservative vote goes to Saunders and if Chow is in the race and gets a decent amount of vote through name recognition where does that leave Bailao especially with a field crowded with some other candidates in the middle. Matlow, Bradford, and Hunter.

Speaking of Hunter this poll is pretty concerning for her if she resigns her seat to jump in here. I don't see what space she has to move with Chow and Bailao and Matlow in the race.

I'm not convinced Matlow can win and have my issues with him, but if he were to be the one to defeat Saunders and if he presents some good realistic policy I would vote for him. And I think his disruptive calling it like it is approach does have some things to say for it even if goes too far sometimes and might suit the public mood. 18 is pretty good here given that the other council candidates are considerably lower. Matlow's bullish approach may serve him well for getting awareness.

Saunders polling so high (and if that sustains) really changes the situation here in general. For almost any of the other candidates I would roll the dice and vote my conscience because it wouldn't be the end of the world if they became mayor, but I really do not want Saunders to win in a split field that would be terrible for the city. Will likely induce more strategic voting than we would have otherwise seen.

Penalosa's done here I think especially if Chow's in the race. His only real chance at significant growth was lack of a big candidate on the left. Hopefully he bows out and endorses another candidate at some point.

I think Bradford doesn't have a path here unless Saunders and Bailao implode. Why would conservative vote for him? And why would centrists and progressives vote for Bradford over Bailao? Bailao just seems like the better more viable candidate to me. Maybe he could build support through a campaign, but I just don't see what support is going to him instead of going to Bailao or others. I feel like he'll drop out and endorse Bailao at some point.

Last edited:
I feel like the reaction to Chow is perhaps a little more negative that she deserves, but I also understand it. I found her mayoral campaign to be very disappointing and do have a feeling of her being yesterday's candidate. And also worry about what her policy would be. But also at the same time, it's not like any of these candidates are exactly perfect and they all have their issues and basically every politician in the city and in the country and their policies has failed on the housing and affordability crisis.

But the negative reaction to her given her also coming in at the top of a poll is a bit out of proportion I think. Maybe she's not as weak a candidate as everyone thinks? JMM's reaction that it's obviously her ceiling and the reply to his tweet above throwing water on the idea of there needing to be an NDP candidate is also curious to me given that she is in front of every other candidate. Maybe the NDP base actually is meaningful and is a relevant voting block here?And why the assumption that this is her ceiling? Maybe this support will actually be pretty solid with no other significant left candidates to chip at it. And the previous election with her Tory and Ford is not ideal for capturing what she could have got if there wasn't the fear of Ford pushing people to Tory. Though fear of Saunders might be a similar dynamic. Who knows, maybe her support will fall, but it just seems weird that everyone's jumping to dismiss her but at the same time she's at the top of a poll before even announcing.

I remain skeptical though of her as a candidate (and all the candidates) before I see some realistic policy of how to move forward as a city. If she has good policy I'd consider voting for her, and also if her name recognition and public profile can make her the most likely candidate to go over the top (especially if the other risk is Saunders) I would be more inclined to vote for her as well.

Surprised to see Saunders so high and a bit fearful about the possibility of him becoming the candidate conservatives rally around + crossover support from more apolitical people who are concerned about safety. I think having a cop as mayor would not be a good thing on its own in general, but as others have pointed out Saunders isn't even a good cop by cop standards. And what are Saunder's policies or ideas or his direction for the city? I really hope as the city gets to know him more in the campaign that his support wanes. I am a bit concerned though especially with this split field and with the furor around public safety in the city over the last while.

Bailao is way lower than I expected. Maybe because she lacks city-wide profile. It seems like the DUI thing still sticks to her a bit, at least in internet comments. Not sure how much people broadly speaking remember that or will care when push comes to shove. Before this poll dropped I was about to predict she would win, but I'm not sure anymore. I think despite some issues I have with her that she'd be a much better mayor on the balance vs. Tory, Ford, Lastman, or potential Saunders, and could work effectively with others I think — so I could potentially vote for her if she has good policy and looks like she could win. But if the conservative vote goes to Saunders and if Chow is in the race and gets a decent amount of vote through name recognition where does that leave Bailao especially with a field crowded with some other candidates in the middle. Matlow, Bradford, and Hunter.

Speaking of Hunter this poll is pretty concerning for her if she resigns her seat to jump in here. I don't see what space she has to move with Chow and Bailao and Matlow in the race.

I'm not convinced Matlow can win and have my issues with him, but if he were to be the one to defeat Saunders and if he presents some good realistic policy I would vote for him. And I think his disruptive calling it like it is approach does have some things to say for it even if goes too far sometimes and might suit the public mood. 18 is pretty good here given that the other council candidates are considerably lower. Matlow's bullish approach may serve him well for getting awareness.

Saunders polling so high (and if that sustains) really changes the situation here in general. For almost any of the other candidates I would roll the dice and vote my conscience because it wouldn't be the end of the world if they became mayor, but I really do not want Saunders to win in a split field that would be terrible for the city. Will likely induce more strategic voting than we would have otherwise seen.

Penalosa's done here I think especially if Chow's in the race. His only real chance at significant growth was lack of a big candidate on the left. Hopefully he bows out and endorses another candidate at some point.

I think Bradford doesn't have a path here unless Saunders and Bailao implode. Why would conservative vote for him? And why would centrists and progressives vote for Bradford over Bailao? Bailao just seems like the better more viable candidate to me. Maybe he could build support through a campaign, but I just don't see what support is going to him instead of going to Bailao or others. I feel like he'll drop out and endorse Bailao at some point.
Though it's VERY early days, I think you make some very good points!

I voted for her several times. She was well-liked as a councillor. I can't say whether or not I would vote for her as mayor. We'll see. But I've had enough of incompetent or indifferent conservatives (please excuse the tautology).

I don't have a problem w/fiscal conservatism per se......

The idea of balancing one's budget; and mindful spending. Great.

But in the same vein; even if one accepted that 'status quo' services were fine the day Mayor Tory were first elected..........the correct annual calculation of an increase would have been inflation, and population growth.
Where as population growth has averaged about 2% per year in Toronto (lower some years, higher others), it should have been CPI + 2%; that it was not, for 9 years running.....is not what I think of as fiscal conservatism.
Its either a lie, or a delusion. It leaves you about 20% below status-quo stable services.
Which explains a great deal.

If you can do more w/less, great; there certain is and remains some unwise City spending; though most amounts to tens of millions per year, which is sad, but a comparative rounding error on a 16B budget.

I will say, while Miller was better, his non-sense move of 'selling' the City's streetlights to Toronto Hydro for 60M has been a disaster on that front, and shows he wasn't immune to game-playing foolishness.

Chow's last campaign was embarrassing, I have no idea why she ran. The city has changed since she was a councillor. As for Saunders, I just feel there is another shoe waiting to drop, what is the angle here? Is it solely Ford's back pocket? I can't trust him because of that. If any candidate says they will take Toronto out of Ontario I will vote for them, why is Mississauga's mayor talking about their independence when Toronto doesn't even whisper such dreams?

I get the same feeling from Mark Saunders.

After being on the Ontario Place advisory board I can't help but wonder how tied he is to Ford.

I feel like he is Doug's puppet.
All politicians are most often in someones back pocket.
You didnt hear some of the stories about David Miller??

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 11.36.57 AM.png

This thread from Bailão started off good, I thought wow is she going to meaningfully reckon with the state of our finances and service levels.

But then no, the last tweet reveals that it's all based on her campaign's ridiculous hope (uncertain to unlikely at best) to upload the highways that the province has already rejected.

I previously said I would consider voting for her if she had serious policy but this is the opposite of that. Total nonsense. Non-serious. Actively trying to deceive the electorate with things that aren't realistic and pretending she's being reasonable while doing it. I guess she's learned the "just make stuff up about what's possible during the campaign and run on that" from Kouvalis and Tory.

The fact that she calls this her "plan" to solve problems but doesn't address that the province has full control over this happening and has already rejected it is being dishonest with the city IMO. She should be ashamed of campaigning this way. It's disgraceful and I expect better of her. Is this all she has to run on? Unrealistic "plans" and false hopes presented as simple solutions?

And then what happens if she's elected and the province says "no"? We just keep having (as she acknowledges!) unacceptable service cuts? Given that the province has already said no on this she needs to at least outline a plan b if her hope doesn't work out.

I hope other candidates absolutely rip open this ridiculous "plan" in debates and ask her the follow up questions she needs to be asked.

Last edited:
I don't understand the issue people are having with Olivia Chow. Did she do something outrageous while she was a councillor? More so than Saunders, Bradford etc? I wasn't living in Toronto then.

I don't understand the issue people are having with Olivia Chow. Did she do something outrageous while she was a councillor? More so than Saunders, Bradford etc? I wasn't living in Toronto then.

Olivia has always been the NDP poster child. She can run municipally but she will always be seen as the left wing MP for Spadina-Fort York.

Her ideas are very much reminiscent of the grassroots NDP days and not entirely relevant to municipal politics.

If any candidate says they will take Toronto out of Ontario I will vote for them
Any that floats this pipe dream will lose my vote.
Anyone who does either thinks voters are stupid, or is ignorant themselves.
It's entirely fantasy. Focus on what you can do, not what will whip people into a frenzy.

Winning your local seat and winning a city-wide election have little to do with each other. A left-wing councilor winning a left-wing seat is hardly an accomplishment. That's like a Tory getting ecstatic because she/he won their seat in rural Alberta. Winning in Vegreville doesn't mean you will get any seats in Edmonton or Calgary where the elections are decided.

Preaching to the converted doesn't win you any election............just go ask the federal NDPs how well that strategy has gone.

Back