News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the Science Centre in Ontario Place will also get a lot more visitors then their current location.
People going to a Blue Jay, Raptors of Leaf game might decide to go there in the afternoon, then grab some dinner, and then go to a ballgame.
So more people = more revenue

There is only a park there which isnt used much.
Then there's the Budweiser theatre which is only used for concerts.
And there's the 5 pods which last time I checked are sitting empty since 2012.

Do less trolling and more reading: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/05/18/can_sad_empty_ontario_place_become_magical_again.html
I've been there many times in the last few years and there are always many people in the park.
You're the one who is trolling in this thread

So your issue is with the spa then, not so much with the Science Centre??
That depends on the scope. I have no objection to finding a new purpose for the pods. But more generally, I think it is unacceptable to make such a decision without consulting the relevant constituents and against the desire of the city.

I think the Science Centre in Ontario Place will also get a lot more visitors then their current location.
People going to a Blue Jay, Raptors of Leaf game might decide to go there in the afternoon, then grab some dinner, and then go to a ballgame.
So more people = more revenue
Bingo. Agreed.

According to the latest plan the Trillium Park will remain.
And some of the West Island park will also remain

therme-rendering-3.jpg

therme-canada-ontario-place-redevelopment-takes-step-forward-th.jpg

ontario-place-development-application-image.jpg

You cant be a whimp when you run an entire province. Of course a premier or a prime minister (or a CEO) has to be 'tough' but there's a huge difference from not being a wimp to being a bully. Ford is a bully.

AFA Science Centre is concerned I think its a smart move.
Current location is prime real estate, and Ontario place is practically deserted.
Sell the current location to developers and build condos, office space or mixed retail.
Its win-win. I dont understand why some people are so against it
I can see the arguments on both sides here and the problem is really that Ford made the decision with zero public consultation and his record of "un-greening' the greenbelt and seeing his developer chums amazingly managing to buy those bits of it just before the decision was announced gives me ZERO confidence that the SC decision was made to make the Science Centre better!

According to the latest plan the Trillium Park will remain.

That is correct.

And some of the West Island park will also remain

That is not correct, the entire Island is to be levelled, and the Island is to be enlarged and re-graded to mitigate the flood risk to Therme (not a risk for the site in its current form) .

The land you see dedicated to park space adjacent to Therme will largely be newly created land, at public expense, with all new plantings (no pre-existing mature trees) and it represents much smaller public space than what is currently provided.

Last edited:
That’s preposterous. The West Island is an abandoned area and unkempt. Sure the land is public but is is accessible? No. It’s mostly the unkempt shoreline path that is usable and the bathroom. That’s it. So yes while I agree that Therme Spa isn’t ideal use of space and the plan isn't perfect.

However, many here are letting perfection get in the way of a solid plan to improve the Ontario Place space. We get to keep the Cinesphere, and the pods. I actually hope they incorporate the pods into the new Science Centre. The public landscaping will be a massive improvement over the crap there now. This is a waterfront site and needs proper investment. Yes ideally we would have a government that does it. Look at Trillium Park, while it’s nice there is nothing to do there but walk along the trails and enjoy the views. Most of Torontos waterfront is actually that - parks with trails. This area will be an entertainment zone. That’s OK. I hope they add a children’s playground in what’s labeled the children’s area and many restaurants so that it’s not just another strolling park. The new stage and Science Centre will bring year round life to the place and animate it beyond the current activities of walkers.

It’s not ideal I agree but we get to keep most of the heritage buildings and a reinvigorated site that we can enjoy. Many here would prefer to wait more decades and let the place fall apart more while many Liberal/NDP governments study and consult to death.

I for one am happy to see a government take action. We also finally get the Ontario line that is more functional and useful than the one the Liberals and the city proposed.

Now let’s switch back to the Toronto Mayoral election which is the topic of this thread.

On the topic of the election. I got a flyer from Ana Bailao, it’s full of platitudes and not a single concrete promise or action except to have the province upload the DVP/Gardiner, which is highly unrealistic.

It’s sad to see politicians who want votes target the low information voter that will vote on platitudes and not a serious plan or positions on issues.

I predict this election will have a record low turnout as most don’t care enough to vote and all the flyers look the same - TTC safety, more housing, affordable city, cell service on the subway. Nothing about how to pay for any of it or any substantial planks on what to do for the multitude of other issues in the city.

You cant be a whimp when you run an entire province.

AFA Science Centre is concerned I think its a smart move.
Current location is prime real estate, and Ontario place is practically deserted.
Sell the current location to developers and build condos, office space or mixed retail.
Its win-win. I dont understand why some people are so against it
Can you get Habitat for Humanity involved? Never mind developers. It's not a win win if it's just another excuse for developers to keep getting rich.
The lease goes until 2064 anyway. Doug has no right to bully people around. The true cost is all hush hush. The land has a no build status for a reason.

Back