News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hazel had the magic touch. She was the queen maker in 2014, however, if the data has shown that lots of residents would rather have John Tory back. My sense is a majority of residents would see past the affair he had as they liked having him as mayor.
I don't think Tory should have resigned. I suspect (without evidence, just smelling the room) he was being coerced by Ford or others to do something he did not support, upon threat of disclosure - and Tory's kneejerk reaction was f/u, I quit.

I don't think Tory should have resigned. I suspect (without evidence, just smelling the room) he was being coerced by Ford or others to do something he did not support, upon threat of disclosure - and Tory's kneejerk reaction was f/u, I quit.
Disagree. Tory comes off as a man who would step away from a position if major issues in his personal life would make his professional life difficult. My gut tells me he decided to walk the moment he knew the story of his affair was going to be published in the newspapers.

Last edited:
The Star out with an article discussing a new Forum Poll, along with another poll taken in the last couple of days by Liason and the prior Mainstreet poll.

Across the board consensus that Chow is the leader, though some discrepancies on the extent of said lead.

Some variation though as you go lower in the ranks.

Liason:

(% of decided voters)

Chow 20
Saunders 11
Matlow 10
Bradford 8
Hunter 8
Bailao 5
Peruzza 1
Furey 1

Forum:

Chow 36
Saunders 18
Matlow10
Hunter 10
Bailao 7
Bradford 6

Comments:

Matlow has very little time, if any, left to begin to gain traction. I still don't get Chow's lead. Right wing vote seems to be coalescing around Saunders
Hunter has actually picked up a bit......

But 2 polls have Bailao in single digits and behind Hunter............not what I would have been expecting at this juncture.

Yea, these are all over the place. I wonder if municipal polls are as reliable as provincial or federal races? I recall in 2018 and 2022 where a lot of polls for ward-level races were waaay off.

Disagree. Tory comes off as a man who would step away from a position if major issues in his personal life would make his professional life difficult. My gut tells me he decided to walk the moment he knew the story of his affair was going to be published in the newspapers.

I am sure the fact that it will be a difficult fiscal year made it a much easier decision.

AoD

A few thoughts from the first debate:

- Olivia Chow didn't seem prepared. Very vague on details with a lot of platitudes.
- Josh Matlow had a lot of zingers, but despite a detailed platform, didn't seem to talk about it.
- Ana Bailao and Mitzie Hunter were the most polished.
- Brad Bradford sounded like an arrogant kid running for class president.

Dreamers, schemers and true believers: Meet the long shots running to be Toronto’s mayor

With so many in the running, these lesser-known names help ensure the 2023 election is unlike any Toronto has seen before.​

From link.

toronto_mayoral_election.jpg

The field for Toronto’s mayoral election is now set, and one thing is clear: only a handful of candidates are in it to win it. The vast majority are merely in it.

A record number of wannabes are in the running for the June 26 election. At the close of nominations at 2 p.m. Friday, 102 candidates had signed up, the most in any mayor’s race, at least since Toronto’s amalgamation in 1998.

Most of those registered remain unknown to the public, and have little prospect of attracting the tens of thousands of votes it will take to get elected. Yet they’ve made the effort to collect the 25 signatures required to register, paid their $200 registration fee, and in many cases, launched a website or drafted policy ideas.

Mayoral candidates looking to break through​

Trailing behind are a half-dozen or so familiar names who are running serious campaigns, but who have not yet broken through with voters. Among them are:

• Giorgio Mammoliti: The former councillor for York West placed third in Wasaga Beach’s mayoral election last fall, and is seeking the Toronto job on a platform that includes opposition to safe injection sites and bike lanes.
  • Rob Davis: Also a former city councillor, he became the old city of York’s first elected Black representative in 1991, and wants to reverse Toronto’s plans to rename Dundas Street.
  • Celina Caesar-Chavannes: The former Whitby MP quit the federal Liberal caucus in 2019 saying she felt tokenized, and she said she would secure more funding from the federal and provincial governments while diversifying the city’s revenue streams.
  • Chloe Brown: The policy analyst who came an impressive third place in last fall’s mayoral election wants to introduce a “campus of care” model for vulnerable residents and restructure city government around a “strong commissioner” system.
  • Anthony Perruzza: The veteran councillor for Humber River—Black Creek has as the centrepiece of his campaign a plan for the city to retain the more than $2 billion in annual revenue from the education levy that it currently remits to the province.
  • Anthony Furey: The former Toronto Sun columnist is on leave from his job as VP of a right-wing website known for its condemnation of COVID-19 protection measures, and has made public safety a focus of his campaign.

Back