News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like that we want to have the "adult conversation", but where was this over Torys reign of indifference.

Transit needs more stable funding, with a more dynamic leadership team, for all of Toronto. If we're looking to improve our system, it's not through service cuts, with fare hikes that will fix it. Leadership, with vision and fiscal responsibility will.

People will use transit when it's reliable, frequent and has value. Right now our subways have service disruptions throughout the day, our street running vehicles have no priority, and we have the highest cost for a monthly pass in the country, yet do we have the service quality to match?

How we don't have a copay option with employers for monthly passes is mind numbing as well.

This data actually confirms that most of the 113km is parks, beaches or bluffs which is parks. How much of the waterfront is entertainment area with things to do? Not a lot actually a bit in the downtown portion around York Quay and and some around the Polson pier and the Jarvis -Sherbourne area. The rest is mostly green space, trails, beaches, bluffs and yes some private property.

My point is we don’t have that much of an urban waterfront. So the OP redevelopment is ok to me. It still preserves the public water access and greatly improves the landscaping and features.

This ignores a) much of the Bluffs is not very accessible between RC Harris and Rosetta McClain Gardens, b) the Beaches that are accessible can get crowded, and c) the stuff in Scarborough is nowhere near the downtown core, where's there's a significant park deficit per-person and the last mayor proposed a piss pad for local condo dogs overtop a rail corridor.

Ontario Place and the Ex are prime areas for the downtown *parkland*, not just access to the water's edge but inland green stuff. The next mayor should acknowledge this, maga-spa or not, and propose some large meaningful chunks of parkland. I threw some ideas out there.

https://metroscapes.ca/2021/05/14/rail-deck-park/

Long Sunday morning affordable-housing tour with Councillor Bradford today around Surplus Government Lands in North York... we hit Downsview (Canada Lands - Federal) and five of the City's HOUSING NOW sites from Finch West to Eglinton LRT...

Long Sunday morning affordable-housing tour with Councillor Bradford today around Surplus Government Lands in North York... we hit Downsview (Canada Lands - Federal) and five of the City's HOUSING NOW sites from Finch West to Eglinton LRT...

Did Brad explain why funding hadn't been secured or why these sites didn't have shovels in the ground since he's been on council?

This ignores a) much of the Bluffs is not very accessible between RC Harris and Rosetta McClain Gardens, b) the Beaches that are accessible can get crowded, and c) the stuff in Scarborough is nowhere near the downtown core, where's there's a significant park deficit per-person and the last mayor proposed a piss pad for local condo dogs overtop a rail corridor.

Ontario Place and the Ex are prime areas for the downtown *parkland*, not just access to the water's edge but inland green stuff. The next mayor should acknowledge this, maga-spa or not, and propose some large meaningful chunks of parkland. I threw some ideas out there.

https://metroscapes.ca/2021/05/14/rail-deck-park/
There are some great ideas in your article. Thanks for sharing. I agree the downtown lacks parks. I think the Ex is a great place to put more park space as it’s owned by the city and it’s closer to the residents of Liberty Village which has almost zero park space except that little doggie park and tiny playground in the middle of it.

I would like to see a poll conducted to see how many people are for and against moving the Science Centre to Ontario place
Or even more to the point, how many people are for or against ***demolishing*** the existing OSC for "housing", particularly in light of (a) its architectural significance,
and (b) the fact that due to its setting, you *can't* build housing upon most of where it stands.

Of course, as a preliminary move, you have to draw their attention to both of those facts. Otherwise, they're voting in the dark.

And really; to drag things back to the thread subject matter; what kind of philistine bozo would vote for a mayoral candidate who'd dismiss this argument out of hand?

This data actually confirms that most of the 113km is parks, beaches or bluffs which is parks.

Hmmm, I don't agree that's what is says or what it is, we need to distinguish between the literal shoreline and adjacent interior uses.

Its perfectly possible to have a park and have a restaurant across the street with a nice view of same that isn't part of that park.

I would add, in the context of Ontario Place that I have no objection to revitalizing the historic restaurant locations as such once more, within a public park context.

How much of the waterfront is entertainment area with things to do? Not a lot actually a bit in the downtown portion around York Quay and and some around the Polson pier and the Jarvis -Sherbourne area.

a) I don't think a 40km plus entertainment district is remotely viable; Even a 4km one would be longer than anything in NYC.

b) I don't see Therme as a compatible entertainment use, because its interior-facing, which is absurd on a Lake-front site.

If you want 'entertainment' on the Lake, you want it focused on the Lake. So you want an outdoor water park, not an indoor one, you want restaurants with water views, you want scuba diving......etc etc.

The rest is mostly green space, trails, beaches, bluffs and yes some private property.

Toronto's Waterfront is still a Remedial Action Plan site. It is deemed an environmental hazard. There is considerable work to do to provide meaningful habitat for aquatic birds, mammals and fish.

My point is we don’t have that much of an urban waterfront. So the OP redevelopment is ok to me. It still preserves the public water access and greatly improves the landscaping and features.

My point is that Queen's Quay and Yonge to Spadina is entirely an urban waterfront and most of the urban is a spectacular failure just as I imagine Therme will be.

The single most successful elements on the central waterfront today are the Music Garden, Coronation Park and the two heritage buildings (QQT and the Pier) that feature restaurants w/patios.

Did Brad explain why funding hadn't been secured or why these sites didn't have shovels in the ground since he's been on council?
If you go back and look at the HISTORY of our volunteers - the answer to those questions is pretty clear.

Round 1 (2018) sites for HOUSING NOW were all assuming the old City of Toronto policy that UPZONING is bad, and they were unwilling to upzone via MZO's to move the project along quickly enough to beat the interest-rate and construction-cost increases that have happened since 2019.

Lesson we all already know from the long saga of the Toronto Hydro lands on Yonge Street in North York - "the original listing was in 2013, but the sale was delayed for five years as the utility complied with a council motion to come up with a concept plan for the site that did not exceed the city’s density rules."

The focus on what the Province is going to do, with Provincial assets, during a Municipal election, seems like a giant misdirection away from issues that most people care about that the next Mayor would actually have power to do.

The focus on what the Province is going to do, with Provincial assets, during a Municipal election, seems like a giant misdirection away from issues that most people care about that the next Mayor would actually have power to do.
Again, that didn't prevent the 1997 municipal election (and the referendum before it) from having the spectre of Mike Harris looming over it.

Plus, there's the matter of what a mayor *would* actually have power to do, vs what a mayor *should* actually have power to do. Which underlies the psychodramas involving the city and Ford today, much as it did involving the city and Harris a quarter century ago.

And...said provincial assets *are* within the city. It isn't like the municipal race is a referendum on Hwy 413 or the Bradford Bypass.

The "would" vs "should" matter is critical in understanding why simply rolling over and playing dead or stating "it's not my job, man" rings false for many.

I agree with the premise that TTC shouldn’t be run as a business. I’m not advocating for that. What I’m saying is perhaps we over corrected and keep subsidizing people on TTC who do not need it. Professionals like me can easily pay more for riding. Same with seniors who are not on GIS.

The city needs operating funds as it’s clear the senior governments won’t bail it out. Right now it’s cutting service on the TTC. What I’m suggesting is that instead of that we raises some fares and tax parking more. Raising fares helps to fund the service but it will never fully cover operating costs.

What I’m against is having a city council and mayor of cowards who refuse to act and wait for the bail out year over year. The result is worse service and higher crime on the TTC. They refuse to fund these things. I think it’s high time we had an active Mayor who was bold and not one that just makes promises that relies on Province or Feds to pay for everything.
One big change needs to be that people on ODSP should be able to get their TTC discount pass directly from the ODSP office and not from any other place.
The Children's Presto card needs to be a fresh new colour clear as day so adults can't ride for free anymore (with stolen, or own child's card)
I recommend a shiny bright yellow or anything that REALLY stands out to the TTC fare inspectors.
These are issues that a good potential mayor can easily add to their platform to help get elected.

A few endorsement updates:

Oscar winner Sarah Polley is endorsing Olivia Chow. Polley is a long time anti-poverty activist.

Ana Bailao has bagged endorsements from three Liberal MPs: Etobicoke MP James Maloney and Scarborough MPs Gary Anandasangaree and Salma Zahid.

Also, there was a recent Toronto Star article about how/why Ana Bailao gained some big labour union endorsements over Olivia Chow.

A few endorsement updates:

Oscar winner Sarah Polley is endorsing Olivia Chow. Polley is a long time anti-poverty activist.

Ana Bailao has bagged endorsements from three Liberal MPs: Etobicoke MP James Maloney and Scarborough MPs Gary Anandasangaree and Salma Zahid.

Also, there was a recent Toronto Star article about how/why Ana Bailao gained some big labour union endorsements over Olivia Chow.

I wonder if Polley is going to do more for Chow. I don't see her helping much in the suburbs, but it could be a big help in the downtown. She likes to be political. Then again, Polley is probably so busy with her own projects that she will likely just stay focused on.

Bailao is landing a lot of big endorsements. The union endorsements are huge, and this alone gives her an edge in this race. It looks like Bailao has the biggest team backing her.

Last edited:
Ana Bailao has the backing of former Toronto Mayors Art Eggleton and Barbara Hall, as well.

Barbara Hall is an impressive endorsement. I'm pretty sure she was a card-carrying dipper during her time as mayor, but gradually shifted to the Liberals around the time of her failed 2003 mayoral campaign, when David Miller became the NDP flag bearer.

I'm 99.9% sure Miller will endorse Olivia Chow as he regularly endorses municipal candidates.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility of John Tory endorsing Bailao, especially if it's a close race in the final weeks.

Back