News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I assume she realises she will not be elected as new Liberal leader so this may just be a way to move on - I agree she is unlikely to be elected Mayor either. (Though I have always rather liked her.)
The only thing I can think of is she actually wants to move on from politics, but she doesn't want to look like she is abandoning the Ontario Liberal Party in case she wants to step back into provincial politics in the future. So, she says she wants to become the mayor Toronto needs and that means she'll have to walk away from her MPP position. Maybe she would like to become mayor, however, she must know she has a slim chance at winning, so she wants to walk away from Queen's Park like she is fighting the good fight.

I see her landing a very well-paying job after the mayor's race so she can make good money and she can step back into politics down the road.

My worry is that Hunter running for personal career reasons without any chance to win will unnecessarily split away votes from other progressive candidates who are running to win. Hopefully we don't end up with a small % vote difference between a progressive or conservative mayor — in particular if it's Saunders. In the meanwhile I welcome her to bring good ideas into the race and hopefully we don't have that vote splitting situation.

Mitzie's association with the Liberal Party overlaps with Bailao, Bradford and even Matlow (he's never been an NDP guy), and there is something to be said about the Black vote (so there is likely some overlap between Hunter and Saunders). The minority + progressive voter might be a swing Chow/Hunter voter. I think if she pulls out, her 5-6% support gets spread out across the board, and does not go to 1 person.

Is there no way to adopt ranked ballots for this election? Fifty plus names is ridiculous.

I‘m thinking of voting for Chow, if only to put a lefty into place to drive Doug mad. Can Dougie reverse the strong mayoral powers if he doesn‘t like the people’s choice?

Is there no way to adopt ranked ballots for this election? Fifty plus names is ridiculous.

I‘m thinking of voting for Chow, if only to put a lefty into place to drive Doug mad. Can Dougie reverse the strong mayoral powers if he doesn‘t like the people’s choice?

Doug says no.

I am voting for Chow so leopards can eat Doug Ford's face:

It's a popular subreddit showcasing policies and behaviour that backfired very hard.

Even if Ford didn't grant Toronto mayors the "strong mayor" power, I would still vote for Chow.

The only thing I can think of is she actually wants to move on from politics, but she doesn't want to look like she is abandoning the Ontario Liberal Party in case she wants to step back into provincial politics in the future. So, she says she wants to become the mayor Toronto needs and that means she'll have to walk away from her MPP position. Maybe she would like to become mayor, however, she must know she has a slim chance at winning, so she wants to walk away from Queen's Park like she is fighting the good fight.

I see her landing a very well-paying job after the mayor's race so she can make good money and she can step back into politics down the road.
Don't forget another consideration: federally, John McKay is 75 and will have been in office for going on 30 years. She might be his readymade replacement.

I am voting for Chow so leopards can eat Doug Ford's face:
Nice. Chow it is then. My wife’s voting for a Chow too. If my kids ask me who to vote for I’ll reco Chow as well. It’s like we’re creating chaos by dropping in an ardent lefty and don’t GAF, I love it.

Last edited:
Nice. Chow it is then. My wife’s voting for a Chow too. If my kids ask me who to vote for I’ll reco Chow as well. It’s like we’re creating chaos by dropping in an ardent lefty and don’t GAF, I love it.

She has my vote as well.

Chow or Matlow for me, whoever is more likely to win at the time. It's important that the vote doesn't split too much and allow a dinosaur like Saunders to get the job.

Probably where I stand, too.

Pro-Olivia: Touching personal story as an immigrant living in St. Jamestown. Took a lot of very bold and forward-thinking positions in the 80s and 90s. Probably a better consensus-builder than Matlow.

Anti-Olivia: Too entrenched in the old guard, NDP political machine. Ran an uninspiring 2014 mayoral campaign and unnecessary 2015 federal campaign.

Pro-Josh: Sharp with a good team of policy wonks around him. A leftish-Liberal who has friends in Ottawa but also called out the LPC and OLP when needed.

Anti-Josh: Doesn't always play well with others and can often appear aloof.

Dougie quashed ranked ballots municipally when he took power..Also, strong mayor powers only apply to provincial priorities, so, he can just define those however he likes. Heck, if he wanted to, he could remove the mayor and councils power completely and put a management consultant to run the city. He likely wouldn't though. Backlash would be big.

Back