News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd reply: "I support defunding the police and raising taxes. Thank you for advising who I should vote for"
Heheh. Actually I did a lookup of the number and people report the number is associated with scammers and telemarketers. So it's probably either some existing bulk texting service or else a spoofed number.

Reactions: PL1
Do we think Chow would actually try and create a true rent control system (no raising rents on tenant turnover)? This one really scares me as it's a great way to ensure we don't ever build any more rental housing.
I'm sure Doug would step in if his developer friends didn't like it. Does the city even have the power to cap rent?
Either way, a true rent control would be great.

I didn't bother with advance voting this year since the polling station on the day itself is far more conveniently situated for my purposes. I expect I'll be pulling the lever for Chow, though I can't claim to be feeling a great deal of enthusiasm for the prospect. Like many of you, I think her time has come and gone. I also think her late husband had most (possibly even all) of the real political talent in their partnership. Not to come off sounding like too much like an asshole, I should add that I do think she's a genuinely nice, decent sort who means well. Maybe that will be enough. I'd rather vote for Matlow, but he's not gonna win.

As for the rest of them? Well...Those at the top of the remaining 600 or so that is? Heh, heh. Hunter seems like a likeable person, but I don't know that that's enough to vote for someone. Bailao seems sensible and intelligent, even if a tad too conservative for my tastes, so she isn't likely to be a disaster if she gets in. Whatsisname, Furey, appears to be doing surprisingly decently for, y'know, a fringe nut candidate, but that's exactly what he is: a fringe nut candidate. Saunders really has come off as a straight-up goon (in every sense of the word) in this election. And poor Brad Brad has cemented himself as nothing more than a petulant little punk. Bwah.

All in all, I'll be happy enough if the new Mayor isn't an out-and-out Ford bootlicker. In this bunch, mayhaps that's the best one can hope for.

I didn't bother with advance voting this year since the polling station on the day itself is far more conveniently situated for my purposes. I expect I'll be pulling the lever for Chow, though I can't claim to be feeling a great deal of enthusiasm for the prospect. Like many of you, I think her time has come and gone. I also think her late husband had most (possibly even all) of the real political talent in their partnership. Not to come off sounding like too much like an asshole, I should add that I do think she's a genuinely nice, decent sort who means well. Maybe that will be enough. I'd rather vote for Matlow, but he's not gonna win.
I never understood the notion of only voting for the person who is going to win. Especially when there isn't any fear of a close contender to necessitate strategic voting.

If they don't want Chow, he seems like the best bet to coalesce behind.
And therein lies the problem: Saunders doesn't even succeed as a "best bet", as opposed to being a "highest-polling alternate option". That is, those who don't want Chow aren't going to coalesce en masse around *him*--indeed, Bailao centrists would probably rather stay put and throw the election to Chow.

And that's how it goes: the non-Chows might not be *supporting* her, but they aren't *that* invested in "stopping" her, so they'd rather vote their conscience out of principle and resign themselves to the inevitable--sort of like those who didn't vote Liberal in the GTA during the Chretien era.

In the end, what Saunders is probably *most* concerned with is Furey eating away at his right flank.

I never understood the notion of only voting for the person who is going to win. Especially when there isn't any fear of a close contender to necessitate strategic voting.

Well, in this case, it's less a matter of wanting to vote for the winner than not wanting my vote to go to waste. As I said, I don't think Matlow's going to win here, deservedly or undeservedly. As for there being no fears of a close contender etc., I dunno. I admit it certainly looks that way from this vantage point, but you never can tell. Crazy things can happen in modern day elections.

Whatsisname, Furey, appears to be doing surprisingly decently for, y'know, a fringe nut candidate, but that's exactly what he is: a fringe nut candidate.
I haven't been following him, but I see his signs everywhere now. Is it because of his promise to kill the municipal land transfer tax?

Do we think Chow would actually try and create a true rent control system (no raising rents on tenant turnover)? This one really scares me as it's a great way to ensure we don't ever build any more rental housing.
You assume we’ve built much of it since the 80s.

Most of our rental stock these days is coming from “investors” trying (and often succeeding) in turning an undersized condo marketed directly as an investment property into their own personal cash flow.

You assume we’ve built much of it since the 80s.

Most of our rental stock these days is coming from “investors” trying (and often succeeding) in turning an undersized condo marketed directly as an investment property into their own personal cash flow.
Seems like we're finally seeing purpose-built rentals being built now.

Back