News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Given that we don't really use them in English, I don't think it is that unreasonable or noteworthy. Many do the same when using french borrow words, french names, etc. in English. I imagine Bailao's name is often so-mispelled in various CRM softwares so she is used to it being spelled this way on correspondence, etc.
Your points demonstrate how normalized and pervasive the erasure of anything non-English is in anglophone North America. Hence it is an obstacle for someone like Bailão to appeal to (centre-)right voters who previously have only ever voted for white men with Anglo-Saxon names

It is there on all her lawn signs that I have seen.

However it's in a white font instead of the black font like her name, which looks like an attempt to highlight it, but perhaps it has backfired because the lime green colour scheme winds up making it less visible, but I saw it immediately.

View attachment 487633

It's also there and much more visible on all her TV commercials.
Whenever I see her signs my mind quickly reads it as Bailout. IDK why.

Your points demonstrate how normalized and pervasive the erasure of anything non-English is in anglophone North America. Hence it is an obstacle for someone like Bailão to appeal to (centre-)right voters who previously have only ever voted for white men with Anglo-Saxon names

I have to say, I think you're really stretching it here.

This city is majority foreign born and majority minority.

Lots of people who might have voted Harper voted Wynne once, a large section of the NDP vote is middle-aged white folk, who elected a Federal leader named Jagmeet.

Meanwhile a lot of Ford's support in Etobicoke originates in minority communities.

I don't want to brush over real prejudice both conscious and subconscious, no doubt it exists in a statistically significant way, but I think you're painting with too broad a brush.

Where do you think Saunders support base is?

I don't think most people in this City, irrespective of background have a prejudice against female candidates, or against non-anglo sounding names.

Do some? Sure........ and that's not ok, of course. But I don't think we ought to exaggerate that factor.

Last edited:
Your points demonstrate how normalized and pervasive the erasure of anything non-English is in anglophone North America.
Sure, that’s why it’s called anglophone North America. If you want to use foreign characters for monikers that’s your business, but don’t except the society to universally accept, understand or value them.

I think you're reading too much into it. Other cultures butcher english in their own context. That's fine. You can try to be a pedant who corrects people for pronouncing croissant the english way vs the french way, but language is defined by its users.

Sure, that’s why it’s called anglophone North America. If you want to use foreign characters for monikers that’s your business, but don’t except the society to universally accept, understand or value them.
You clearly live in Anglophone North America but most of us live (or try to live)in North America. Just as I try to call people by the pronouns they prefer, I try to use accents as required in people's names. Good manners and all that!

I have to say, I think you're really stretching it here.

This city is majority foreign born and majority minority.

Lots of people who might have voted Harper voted Wynne once, a large section of the NDP vote is middle-aged white folk, who elected a Federal leader named Jagmeet.

Meanwhile a lot of Ford's support in Etobicoke originates in minority communities.

I don't want to brush over real prejudice both conscious and subconscious, no doubt it exists in a statistically significant way, but I think you're painting with too broad a brush.

Where do you think Saunders support base is?

I don't think most people in this City, irrespective of background have a prejudice against female candidates, or against non-angle sounding names.

Do some? Sure........ and that's not ok, of course. But I don't think we ought to exaggerate that factor.
My initial point was about the likelihood of Bailão or Saunders managing to get a centre-right coalition to coalesce behind them. That portion of the electorate unquestionably includes some people who are too racist or too sexist to vote for someone who is not a white man (whether they acknowledge that or whether it is a subconscious thing), and this makes it harder for Bailão or Saunders to win. I'm not claiming that a majority of voters are sexist or racist, just that this aspect is significant enough to influence the outcome by creating a lower ceiling for candidates on the centre-right who are not white men.

Yes, Toronto is majority foreign-born, but it's not a coincidence that the last three mayors were named Tory, Ford and Miller.

You clearly live in Anglophone North America but most of us live (or try to live)in North America. Just as I try to call people by the pronouns they prefer, I try to use accents as required in people's names. Good manners and all that!
People frequently misspell and mispronounce my name. I just roll with it.

People frequently misspell and mispronounce my name. I just roll with it.
That's fine - my point was that I consider @Admiral Beez comments about names with accents rather ill-informed. He appears not to even try to use accents and to this WASP, that's quite disrespectful and poorly informed. He reminds me of the 19th century immigration officers - all over the Empire - who westernised or phoneticised 'foreign names' because that was what they were used to. I think we should try a bit harder!

1687644461797.png

That's fine - my point was that I consider @Admiral Beez comments about names with accents rather ill-informed. He appears not to even try to use accents and to this WASP, that's quite disrespectful and poorly informed. He reminds me of the 19th century immigration officers - all over the Empire - who westernised or phoneticised 'foreign names' because that was what they were used to. I think we should try a bit harder!

View attachment 487671
As a WASP married to a non WASP, I have to agree. His non anglophone name is constantly Anglicized. It’s frustrating and annoying. His name is his name. It isn’t how anyone else chooses to pronounce it (usually Anglicized). And for the record, his family has lived in Canada for generations so he most definitely is as Canadian, or even more so, as anyone who butchers his name. And the same applies to my child who has a non Anglo name, complete with an accent.

As a WASP married to a non WASP, I have to agree. His non anglophone name is constantly Anglicized. It’s frustrating and annoying. His name is his name. It isn’t how anyone else chooses to pronounce it (usually Anglicized). And for the record, his family has lived in Canada for generations so he most definitely is as Canadian, or even more so, as anyone who butchers his name. And the same applies to my child who has a non Anglo name, complete with an accent.
I make best effort to pronounce people's names, but it is expecting too much for people to pronounce Italian names like an Italian, Polish names like a Pole, French names like a French, Chinese names like a Chinese. I am from a non-anglo background with a non-anglo name, and lots of people, native english speakers and foreign born mispronounce my name, usually substituting it with names they are more familiar with.

^ This thread has gone sideways (again) but heck, as a person with an unusual name I’ve had to put up with all sorts of mispronunciations. I’ve done my best to pronounce others’ names properly as a result. Keep being respectful.

Btw I speak four languages, all fluently,

Try a name with strong Gaelic influences and see how many spell it or pronounce it. But you roll with it as most people are interested enough to ask. And on the flip side, I am absolutely horrible with accents and names, it’s a real weakness, and I find myself apologizing often and trying again. And I have been lucky to travel enough that the opposite should be true, but not so.

New Mainstreet: Chow 34, Bailao 25, Saunders 11, Furey 10, Matlow 7, Hunter 5, Brown 2, Bradford a Jakobek-esque 1. So Mainstreet's digging in on Bailao's behalf--yet Chow's margin increased 1 point.

And new Forum Research: Chow 29 (down 3), Bailao 20 (up 7), Saunders 15, Furey 11, Matlow 8, Hunter 5, Bradford 3. So now it isn't just Mainstreet showing a Bailao surge.

Back