News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Goose tastes fine.

But it does have a slightly stronger flavour that today's domesticated turkey.

It compares to Duck, its not quite the same, some would argue it actually has a slightly beefy taste.

Winter Goose is quite fatty, while this can make it rich and flavourful, it can also be a grease bomb. It requires proper trimming and preparation, and if roasted, you will want will have to skim the jus/gravy quite a bit..

Summer Goose is actually fairly lean, and can and probably should be treated a bit like a lean steak. Grilled to medium rare. (You would just use the breast meat) .

Canada Goose, to my knowledge is not raised domestically for meat, but hunters can and do eat a fair bit each year.

Cooked Goose (not my photo)

View attachment 595497

Image source: https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ac5fad288f7a0df6d4786f7b169a8fd2-lq

Credit: Brock Pan-Yellow - user Quora
Fascinating. Sounds like the hassle in getting it right is likely where the problem lies. It's too much damn work, and therefore inconvenient to cook compared with mainstream poultry such as chicken and turkey. If goose is anything like duck, I can understand why - in my family we've had duck for dinner a handful of times over the decades, and it was always kind of complicated to cook, and the payoff just doesn't match the effort. It's too fatty. Therefore we never bother with it.

Fascinating. Sounds like the hassle in getting it right is likely where the problem lies. It's too much damn work, and therefore inconvenient to cook compared with mainstream poultry such as chicken and turkey. If goose is anything like duck, I can understand why - in my family we've had duck for dinner a handful of times over the decades, and it was always kind of complicated to cook, and the payoff just doesn't match the effort. It's too fatty. Therefore we never bother with it.

If goose were domesticated (agriculturally) and bred for purpose; and served in convenient form (ie. breasts, thighs etc separated); I think it would be fine. But its not.

In product innovation, one talks about the cost of 'educating the customer' and 'building the market'.

How much money sunk to get to the point where its profitable.

The answer is 'alot'.

That's not to say its not or can't be a good product..........but we're not there on convenience, price, or breeding.

Edit to add...... perhaps this tangent has now or should run its course..........we have a 'what's cooking' thread.......if anyone wants to discuss the merits of different cuisine, I will do my best to answer there. But let's move this thread back to the U.S. presidential election.

Last edited:
If Harris does win we should expect Trump to stick around, dominating the GOP throughout Harris’ term. Expect a 82 year old Trump to run against Harris in 2028. Until Trump is dead he’ll continue to be a thorn in everyone’s side.

Trump has a lock on 2024. But the race for 2028 is already underway.

"Prominent potential future candidates include the governors: Florida’s Ron DeSantis, Virginia’s Glenn Youngkin, Arkansas’ Sarah Huckabee Sanders and South Dakota’s Kristi L. Noem, as well as former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. There are also the senators: Vance, Marco Rubio (Fla.), Tim Scott (S.C.) and Ted Cruz (Tex.)."

When (please) Trump loses in Nov 2024, these GOP hopefuls above are going to be disappointed as MAGA demands felty over the next four years.

Last edited:
If Harris does win we should expect Trump to stick around, dominating the GOP throughout Harris’ term. Expect a 82 year old Trump to run against Harris in 2028. Until Trump is dead he’ll continue to be a thorn in everyone’s side.

Trump has a lock on 2024. But the race for 2028 is already underway.

"Prominent potential future candidates include the governors: Florida’s Ron DeSantis, Virginia’s Glenn Youngkin, Arkansas’ Sarah Huckabee Sanders and South Dakota’s Kristi L. Noem, as well as former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. There are also the senators: Vance, Marco Rubio (Fla.), Tim Scott (S.C.) and Ted Cruz (Tex.)."

When (please) Trump loses in Nov 2024, these GOP hopefuls above are going to be disappointed as MAGA demands felty over the next four years.
It would be entertaining to watch Trump keep the GOP in disarray while he mulls his 2028 bid for re-election.

I hope you're right. The latest NYT polls have Harris on the backfoot.

IDK what's wrong with Americans that they seriously want Trump back. If he wins, I'm done with the USA.

I don't know that they want Trump back, they just don't want Harris. I know a number of people who disagree with all of Trump's "policies", but they just can't bring themselves to vote for Harris (despite agreeing with her policies). It's ludicrous, but there you have it.

I'm no fan of Trump or his movement. But it's very easy to understand where the sentiment comes from. Especially as we see the backlash to immigration in our own country.

Elites shipped jobs overseas and destroyed communities in the name of globalization. And then allowed both legal and illegal immigration that tends to have a disproportionate economic impact on the same socioeconomic classes devastated by globalization. And both parties just paid lip service to these devastated communities. So now they want somebody to inflict pain and chaos on others. They want others to suffer as they have:

There's a growing element of conservative support in Canada from that same sentiment. Particularly among younger men and particularly younger white men. Look at the polls. The divergence between men and women has never been this high in Canada. Similar, though not as large, differences between races.

As a visible minority person what I see in Canada scares the crap out of me. And I'm particularly worried for my kid. But they have multiple passports. If yours don't, you should be asking why our elites are making the same mistakes now that drove Americans to where they are today. We should be learning from their mistakes. Not copying them.

Not directly 2024 related, but in the context of a lot of accusations of Democrats trying to steal an election, an entertaining review of the only actually stolen election in (at least recent) US history:

Back