News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hope I have this much energy (or Red Bull access) when I’m 80.

I think the inspirational benchmark for 80 year olds is Mick Jagger (or look at Ernie Hudson!) although neither have anything on 93 year old William Shatner - that guy amazes me constantly.

The first Biden-Trump debate is tomorrow on CNN at 9:00 p.m..
Certain gong show material.

The first Biden-Trump debate is tomorrow on CNN at 9:00 p.m..
Certain gong show material.

Honestly, it is not worth watching. The way their system works the President has very limited power other than executive orders and control over the military.

Congress and the Senate in the US are so corrupt that nothing gets done unless there is a major crisis like they had with 9/11.

The ONLY way things will get better in the US is with a complete overhaul of their political system.

Honestly, it is not worth watching. The way their system works the President has very limited power other than executive orders and control over the military.

Congress and the Senate in the US are so corrupt that nothing gets done unless there is a major crisis like they had with 9/11.

The ONLY way things will get better in the US is with a complete overhaul of their political system.

In theory, the reform would be quite easy, a constitutional amendment which forces publically funded elections, and extremely strict rules on what financial support congressmembers can get (no PACs, no political ads from outside sources, and I would go as far as only letting them own broad market index funds for 10 years after they leave office). Of course, asking the foxes to redesign the henhouse to make it harder to eat the chickens does make this extremely improbable until some kind of crisis occurs.

the reform would be quite easy, a constitutional amendment which
This part of the statement is internally inconsistent. State's control of the conduct of their collective election is at the heart of the US system and they would never ratify such a proposed amendment.

This part of the statement is internally inconsistent. State's control of the conduct of their collective election is at the heart of the US system and they would never ratify such a proposed amendment.

Of course, which is why my note at the end of it not happening. This is an easy fix only in theory. You also wouldn't need to force public funding of elections per se, just, ensure that no private money can be given to candidates, and offer federal grants to all states for public funding, and allow states to choose how this money gets allocated. But again, it's moot until a real crisis comes along. Right now, with the recent Supreme Court decision, bribery will become more in vogue.

Of course, which is why my note at the end of it not happening. This is an easy fix only in theory. You also wouldn't need to force public funding of elections per se, just, ensure that no private money can be given to candidates, and offer federal grants to all states for public funding, and allow states to choose how this money gets allocated. But again, it's moot until a real crisis comes along. Right now, with the recent Supreme Court decision, bribery will become more in vogue.

Its more than that........the U.S. system for Constitutional Amendments requires amendments to pass in 39 state legislatures as well as 2/3 of both houses of Congress

33 Constitutional Amendments have been passed by Congress, but only 27 have subsequently made it through the adoption process. The last successful amendment was the 27th, which was adopted in 1992, 32 years ago.

Surely the Dems will force Biden to step down after that debate performance, right?

It would certainly seem wise for to exit stage left; but it would appear to be his choice, rather than the parties. He's basically got the delegates locked up, there is no means to 'force' his departure so far as I'm aware. He would have to withdraw, leaving delegates to the August convention to determine a new candidate on the floor.

That would certainly make for good drama for the U.S. TV networks.

Should Biden depart, the favoured replacements would appear to be two sitting governors, Mr. Newsome of California and Ms. Whitmer of Michigan.

Surely the Dems will force Biden to step down after that debate performance, right?
Damn, I had to turn it off after the first few minutes of Biden's slow and low speaking, scratchy voiced, coughing old man. Dammit, this was the Dems chance to show the American voters and the world that their man had moxie. The world is on a knife edge Joe, you're supposed to bring your A-game.

Paywall free: https://archive.is/eKdY4

So, who can replace Biden? The Democratic National Convention takes place on August 19–22, 2024, so there's still time. Kamala Harris would get destroyed by Trump, so sorry, no. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer might beat Trump.

Last edited:
I like Joe Biden, and I think he had a decent term, but there's no doubt now whatsoever that he needs to go or the Democrats are screwed. Can you imagine him remaining for another 4 years? He never should have gone for a second term in the first place. Gavin Newsome seems like he'd be the most logical replacement candidate - he comes across as sharp and presidential.

Watched some of the earlier segments but that was enough for me to get an idea of where things stand as of now. Biden looks cooked, what a slaughter that was.

I like Joe Biden, and I think he had a decent term, but there's no doubt now whatsoever that he needs to go or the Democrats are screwed. Can you imagine him remaining for another 4 years? He never should have gone for a second term in the first place. Gavin Newsome seems like he'd be the most logical replacement candidate - he comes across as sharp and presidential.

I'm not sure I'd be inclined to be as kind.

Key platform items went undelivered, again, even when he had (barely) control of Congress in his first 2 years.

Still no Federal Minimum wage increase, (its $7.25 USD per hour), lot of other things that didn't get done. Arguably he got some big investments in Amtrak approved, but most of the construction/new operation hasn't started yet, and could be reversed in a 2025 budget.

I certainly don't want Trump elected; but Biden, at best, under-achieved.

High deficits, growing U.S. debt to GDP, but with very little to show for it on the social side.

Jon Stewart's take on the debate:

Back